Thread: the importance of carbs for the powerlifter??

the importance of carbs for the powerlifter??

ok, ok, I can hear the moans and groans as I type this.
    "WHat is that fatass Steve talking about now. I mean the guy is 5'8" and weighs 340!!!"

Well I use to bodybuild and when I did I weighed in at a very cut 190. I also have studied the effects of good nutrition and have even coached a few bodybuilders.

So listen to the fat guy he knows! lol

A typical weight loss and or muscle gaining diet for general fitness athletes and bodybuilders centers around three things

Protein 1 gram = 4 calories
    Carbs 1 gram = 4 calories
    Good fats 1 gram = 9 calories

Most follow a guideline of 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
    Good sources of protein come from Whey, egg whites, beef, chicken, fish etc.

Carbs are usually cycled in a manner of a high, medium, and low day.

Fats should be from flaxseed, olive, fish and safflour oils. (think omega 3's and 6's)

Ok we get that.

But are powerlifters different? do they have different needs given the demands of their sport?

Well thats the question I would like to get opinions on.
    Here is mine

I believe that powerlifters do need extra carbs in their diet to be successful.
    We need the energy that is required to handle the heavy pounding and to help the muscles recouperate.

BUt that doesn't mean we should allow ourselves to get sloppy fat
    (again don't judge me by how I look I AM WORKING ON IT!!)

Carbs should be cycled on a daily basis but with a strategy to support your workouts. As should the type of carbs you eat.

Low days should be the day of a workout, with the exception of post and pre workout meals. High days should be the day after your workout, and medium should be in between.

Slow burning carbs like oatmeal, rice, etc should be eaten in the morning, and throughout the day, while a clean faster acting carb like a dextrose or waxy maze should be pre and post workout.

Simple sugars should be avoided.

Most diets suggest carb intake should be 1-3 grams per pound of bodyweight.
    I would say 1/2 a gram to 1 gram per pound on low days. 2.5 grams per pound on medium and 3-5 grams per pound on high days.

of course this depends on your level of fitness and bodyfat right now.
    f your in good condition then the higher numbers are for you. If not work with the lower numbers until you achieved the desire weight.

NOw what do you think?
    Lets discuss

Nelson Snyder
    I think the trick is the big plate of xmas cookies i seen you bring to the gym LOL.

ssshhhhhh!

3-5g/lb of carbs on high days.. good god that would be incredible.. my BW=280 x 3-5 = 840-1400... kind of a broad spectrum, either way.. that's an assload of food..

IMO, you are correct in generalization.. however, I believe the carbs are exaggerated and I don't believe it is so cut and dry. Granted, I've never stepped on stage so I can't speak from a 4% bodyfat aspect. I can tell you that 4k cals for any extended period will get me fat. 1000g carbs = 4k cals and that doesn't even include the 300-350g protein I would need.

1-1.5g/lb of LEAN BODY MASS is what protein intake should be set at, again, this is my opinion through experience. Why waste my money and energy resources on excess protein that is just going to be converted through gluconeogenesis anyways.

You should probably have 75-100g fat but really that depends on how the individual responds to carbs. Someone with a poor insuline sensitivity may need more fats than carbs..

Carbs are king.. everyone things carks are the devil and even I thought this for a prolonged amount of time. Only am I finding out now that they reign supreme.............. if the aren't put on pedestal. Overeating carbs is the fastest way to get fat but carbs is the best source of energy.. why try to feed your body ketones or starve yourself to protein breakdown when carbs are so readily available?

I'm not a standard 500 calorie deficit/excess per day kinda guy. Thats too boring for me, I've got to cycle things just as you've mentioned. I believe cycling makes it worthwhile and makes th high carb days rewarding.. unless you're metabo is so f-ing high you have to eat 7k/day to maintain.. What I do is a 6-7 day split with low carbs high carbs and medium carbs, then divide by 7 and make sure the average intake is where I want it to be in relation to my maintenance cals.

For instance, I'm trying to drop to 250-260lbs right now so I'm under maintenance. I have 2200cals for 3 days, 3700cals for 2 days and 2700cals for one day, this averages to 2700 cals and is about 300-500cals under maintenance for me. Perfect. If I were bulking and wanted to stay strict (which I typically don't do because I love food) then I would make sure my average daily intake was 3700-3800 or so..

Anyways, great topic of discussion. I enjoy when PLers talk about nutrition..
    Last edited by JSully; 12-31-2009 at 05:34 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by nsnyder View Post
    I think the trick is the big plate of xmas cookies i seen you bring to the gym LOL.
    I took taco bell with me before squats one day..

bad idea
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

what I have noticed is once the body gets use to eating clean, cycling carbs, and eating 6-7 meals a day it begins to burn fule at such an effecient rate that more is needed to just maintain weight. NOw that takes around 4-6 months of disciplined dieting.

Quote Originally Posted by 1400total View Post
    what I have noticed is once the body gets use to eating clean, cycling carbs, and eating 6-7 meals a day it begins to burn fule at such an effecient rate that more is needed to just maintain weight. NOw that takes around 4-6 months of disciplined dieting.
    how the **** am I supposed to avoid burger king for 4-6 months?

you're crazy man, I like you, but you're crazy..

lol

BTW: GO STEELERS!! lets finish the season off strong
    Last edited by JSully; 12-31-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    Jake Sullivan
    curently off-season

Nelson Snyder
    LOL well i think it depends on how people react to them i eat pretty clean or "picky" ive been told on training days i eat more carbs but if i didnt keep my carbs relatively high i would seriouslly be like 150 in no time its hard for me to stay heavy and the guy i lift with looks at a potato he gains ten pounds.

I personally think you are overthinking this ****. Eat alot, eat as clean as you can and load the f'n bar(every time you go to the gym).
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    I personally think you are overthinking this ****. Eat alot, eat as clean as you can and load the f'n bar(every time you go to the gym).
    I'm with Ryano!

I notice, that when training heavy, what I eat that day has no effect on training, it's what I eat the last 2-3 day before that.

Carbs are good! All this low carb bs and carb cycling is nonsense! LOL

Wannabebig Member
    All you need to do is try to eat clean, it that simple.
    Last edited by Logan; 12-31-2009 at 06:55 PM.
    “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    I agree that eating clean is an important step, but what about people's individual genetic make up. Some are naturally thin, would they need more carbs? what about those who have a tendency to put weight on easily less carbs?

I have yet to have much experience with carb cycling, but I have gained and lost weight. I don't like having to calculate everything I eat. Right now I get plenty of carbs and food, If I don't eat enough I get angry like in a chemical imbalance in my brain kind of way, so I just eat and there is no Hulk Smash.

I agree that eating clean is an important step, but what about people's individual genetic make up. Some are naturally thin, would they need more carbs? what about those who have a tendency to put weight on easily less carbs?
    IMO, genetic makeup will play a part in your body type/frame etc., but you can improve on that with diet and exercise. If you're a fatass, lift more often,cut some carbs and more cardio, if you're a skinny ****, eat more and lift more. Simple. There's a tip from your Uncle Ryano. LOL

Have a good New Years Eve. It's night-night time for me. Be safe.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Strength training burns glycogen.

Carbs stimulate insulin which is a very anabolic hormone.

Carbs = good for the strength athlete.

The key is in mitigating insulin response to controlled bursts.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Hey Big Steve...but why make the "high" day be the day AFTER training? I did carb cycling the way Justin Harris's book and dvd explained it (I think ) when I lost all that weight over the last year, but definitely noticed that there were periods of time where my strength dipped (it recovered, but only once I threw a few or five pounds back on.) And your statement in a way sort of ties in with Ryan's comment about it being most important what he's eaten for the 2 or 3 days before the workout. My "high" and "medium" days are always the days of workouts, low days being days off. Never even thought of the low days being workout days.
    Last edited by cpa5oh; 01-01-2010 at 06:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cpa5oh View Post
    Hey Big Steve...but why make the "high" day be the day AFTER training? I did carb cycling the way Justin Harris's book and dvd explained it (I think ) when I lost all that weight over the last year, but definitely noticed that there were periods of time where my strength dipped (it recovered, but only once I threw a few or five pounds back on.) And your statement in a way sort of ties in with Ryan's comment about it being most important what he's eaten for the 2 or 3 days before the workout. My "high" and "medium" days are always the days of workouts, low days being days off. Never even thought of the low days being workout days.
    the high is meant to aid in recovery, which is why its done afte the day of training.

having said all that Justin Harris knows his stuff.

the high is meant to aid in recovery, which is why its done afte the day of training.
    THis is why I say high carbs all the time.lol high for good work outs, and high for recovery. carbs are good, especially the right kind.