ok, ok, I can hear the moans and groans as I type this.
"WHat is that fatass Steve talking about now. I mean the guy is 5'8" and weighs 340!!!"

Well I use to bodybuild and when I did I weighed in at a very cut 190. I also have studied the effects of good nutrition and have even coached a few bodybuilders.

So listen to the fat guy he knows! lol

A typical weight loss and or muscle gaining diet for general fitness athletes and bodybuilders centers around three things

Protein 1 gram = 4 calories
Carbs 1 gram = 4 calories
Good fats 1 gram = 9 calories

Most follow a guideline of 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
Good sources of protein come from Whey, egg whites, beef, chicken, fish etc.

Carbs are usually cycled in a manner of a high, medium, and low day.

Fats should be from flaxseed, olive, fish and safflour oils. (think omega 3's and 6's)

Ok we get that.

But are powerlifters different? do they have different needs given the demands of their sport?

Well thats the question I would like to get opinions on.
Here is mine

I believe that powerlifters do need extra carbs in their diet to be successful.
We need the energy that is required to handle the heavy pounding and to help the muscles recouperate.

BUt that doesn't mean we should allow ourselves to get sloppy fat
(again don't judge me by how I look I AM WORKING ON IT!!)

Carbs should be cycled on a daily basis but with a strategy to support your workouts. As should the type of carbs you eat.

Low days should be the day of a workout, with the exception of post and pre workout meals. High days should be the day after your workout, and medium should be in between.

Slow burning carbs like oatmeal, rice, etc should be eaten in the morning, and throughout the day, while a clean faster acting carb like a dextrose or waxy maze should be pre and post workout.

Simple sugars should be avoided.

Most diets suggest carb intake should be 1-3 grams per pound of bodyweight.
I would say 1/2 a gram to 1 gram per pound on low days. 2.5 grams per pound on medium and 3-5 grams per pound on high days.

of course this depends on your level of fitness and bodyfat right now.
f your in good condition then the higher numbers are for you. If not work with the lower numbers until you achieved the desire weight.

NOw what do you think?
Lets discuss