Thread: A question on HR monitor cardio training

Wannabebig Member

A question on HR monitor cardio training

Cliff Notes: Question in Red text below.

First off, not sure if this is best sub-forum for this, I didn't see a running sub-forum on this site. Do I need to find another set of forums more focused on this type of training?

So I went for a run today outside. Normally I have been doing the elliptical in the gym and figured the gym would be a zoo today plus I wanted to give my GPS watch a try (Garmin 305).

There is a chapter in this book focused on Heart Rate Monitor Training:
    NY Road Runners Complete Book of Running & Fitness

That says for the first 3 months of running your HR should be within 60-70% of your maximum HR. I'm 38 years old, weigh about 230 and when I did a stress test (twice) I got a measurement of 189 bpm. 192 bpm is the calculated HR for a man my age that is in shape. While I do occasional cardio and play soccer 1-2 times a week I would not consider myself in shape.

Anyway back to my question...60-70% of my maximum HR is 113-132 bpm, my problem is when I go for a jog even a very light jog my HR is more in the 160-170 bpm area which is closer to 85-90% of my maximum HR.

Do I just jog anyway and ignore my HR (seems like I just wasted a few hundred on this watch) or should I just go for a brisk walk every day until I lose weight and my HR falls more inline with the 60-70% recommended zone?

Here is a picture of my run (I don't think I have enough posts to post a picture so you will have to convert the link):

(sl) = /
    http : (sl)(sl)yfrog(dot-com)(sl)j7runwalkbriskwalkj

The first portion was my jog (the first 12 minutes) through the streets of Manhattan (tons of tourists to dodge!), the 2nd part is me walking to BestBuy and inside the store (until minute 36), the 3rd part is a brisk walk back to my apartment.

As you can see my jog HR is way high, my brisk walk is even higher then the 60-70% of maximum HR (averaging about 145 bpm or 77% of maximum HR).
    Last edited by Gagnon; 01-01-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gagnon View Post
    Cliff Notes: Question in Red text below.

First off, not sure if this is best sub-forum for this, I didn't see a running sub-forum on this site. Do I need to find another set of forums more focused on this type of training?

So I went for a run today outside. Normally I have been doing the elliptical in the gym and figured the gym would be a zoo today plus I wanted to give my GPS watch a try (Garmin 305).

There is a chapter in this book focused on Heart Rate Monitor Training:
    NY Road Runners Complete Book of Running & Fitness

That says for the first 3 months of running your HR should be within 60-70% of your maximum HR. I'm 38 years old, weigh about 230 and when I did a stress test (twice) I got a measurement of 189 bpm. 192 bpm is the calculated HR for a man my age that is in shape. While I do occasional cardio and play soccer 1-2 times a week I would not consider myself in shape.

Anyway back to my question...60-70% of my maximum HR is 113-132 bpm, my problem is when I go for a jog even a very light jog my HR is more in the 160-170 bpm area which is closer to 85-90% of my maximum HR.

Do I just jog anyway and ignore my HR (seems like I just wasted a few hundred on this watch) or should I just go for a brisk walk every day until I lose weight and my HR falls more inline with the 60-70% recommended zone?

Here is a picture of my run (I don't think I have enough posts to post a picture so you will have to convert the link):

(sl) = /
    http : (sl)(sl)yfrog(dot-com)(sl)j7runwalkbriskwalkj

The first portion was my jog (the first 12 minutes) through the streets of Manhattan (tons of tourists to dodge!), the 2nd part is me walking to BestBuy and inside the store (until minute 36), the 3rd part is a brisk walk back to my apartment.

As you can see my jog HR is way high, my brisk walk is even higher then the 60-70% of maximum HR (averaging about 145 bpm or 77% of maximum HR).
    just run. f your watch. use it for fun. all they do is take 220 and subtract your age from it to find your "optimum" HR. well what happens when your at 230 bpm? does that mean you should be dead? use it as a reference. Notice how long it takes to get your hr up and quickly it comes down and if you want to test your fitness pick a high HR and shoot for it and try to maintain it for a set period of time (I used to do 200-230 BPM and would hold it for 5 minutes, it was a moderate-fast sprint speed for me at the time.)
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

What type of heart rate monitor did you pick up? Your heart rate is actually quite important for endurance training and if you are consistently in the 160-170 range that is too high; you will have to condition yourself and then work up to your current training level.

If you watch the Tour De France you will notice that every competitor has a heart rate monitor and they very closely moderate their pace based on heart rate. Most of them will not exceed 150 BPM.

From all of the endurance training some of the top level cyclists have resting heart rates that are under 40 BPM.

Have you checked your resting heart rate?

It is also possible that your monitor is not accurate. If you are hitting 145 BPM on a brisk walk that is not good; I usually stay around 115-120 BPM when walking quickly and I am 5'8 220 lbs (not exactly built for endurance training). Maybe you can check reviews on sites like amazon to see if others have had similar problems with the equipment; and also be sure that you clean the connectors and have it hooked up correctly.

Hope this helps... if you are interested in training programs I do have a couple of friends who are distance runners / marathoners.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 220 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks dynamo and Tom.

Dynamo> 200-230 seems life threatening to me, but I am just a noob, lol.

Tom> Resting heart rate looks to be about 71 (I wore it one night, I woke up a few times and looked and it said 75, but looking at my chart it looks like it might be between 70-75). Also I did do a real stress test, 5 minutes on a treadmill and then again 2 minutes on an elliptical (at like 20 resistance), both times I came out at 189 bpm so I would think if my HR monitor was consistently over calculating that this number would be higher as well. One thing to note about my brisk walk, it was freezing cold out and there were a ton of people on the sidewalk, so not sure if stress/high-blood pressure had anything to do with those numbers. Maybe I'll go for a walk tonight when I don't have to deal with all of the tourists in nyc on New Year's Day. Also I had just finished jogging on the street (sidewalk was too packed) so the high HR might have been residual from the jog, the 180 I hit was a little worrisome but that was at the end of the run when I just wanted it to be over with so I could walk the rest of the way to the store.

btw I use a Garmin 305, I looked at the 310XT but could not justify the extra hundred dollars for longer battery life, waterproofness and better form factor.
    Last edited by Gagnon; 01-04-2010 at 08:48 AM.

Banned
    I used to use a HR monitor when I was an endurance athlete. When I was rowing, our coach was quite into them for a while.

It is very tempting and very easy to go too hard, so if you're starting out then you should try and reign it in even if that means you're practically walking. When I was jogging I think my HR rate would be around 130. On the water we'd stick around 160-180 but still keep it up for 40-60min pieces.

I'm not as good at running as I'd like to be and I always have to tell myself its better in the long term to be doing regular long and comfortable pieces at a slower pace, than just running at the pace I want to run at and killing myself every time. It can be tough to get your head around, but sometimes its the easy endurance work which has the biggest effect.

My resting heart rate used to be around 50bpm but I'm sure its much worse now. This thread has made me want to try and find out the monitor again.

Wannabebig Member
    I figure I need to train indoors on a treadmill until I drop a few pounds and can jog for more then 5 minutes while still staying in the 60-70% HR zone.

Today I could not jog past 3.6 (mph?) for more then a few minutes before the alarm went off on my Garmin 305 due to exceeding 132 bpm at which point I would walk at 3.2 until it went down to about 114 and then I would jog for a few more minutes, rinse-repeat.
    Last edited by Gagnon; 01-21-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    today's workout, I always forget to start my stop watch (which starts the logging of my pace/HR), this is about 6 minutes into my workout and includes the walk home from the gym and my stop to get breakfast to take home.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/5966/20100121a.jpg