The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Need Help - Pics inside

Hello,
    I finally was able to get some pics here. Here is my story.

I began 2009 at 295 pounds (6'8 tall). I dropped to 270 by september through just dieting. In Sept I began lifting and mixing in some cardio. I lost another 15 pounds for a total loss of 40 pounds in 2009. I am currently at 255.

I know that I have a good deal of fat left to lose, but at this point I dont think that I can spare losing any muscle. As you can see, I do not have a ton of muscle.

I work out hard and heavy 5 times per week followed by 15-20 mins of cardio. I enjoy lifting but strongly dislike cardio.

If I bulk or cut, I will probably keep my lifting as is for now. I am enjoying it and seeing gains.

Here are my questions:

-Do I "cut" or bulk based upon my pics?

- I am eating clean with 250g of Protein/day, but I need to know what to do with my calories. At 6'8, 255 I need approximately 4300 calories per day (based upon several online calcs) to stay at my current weight with the exercise included. I was eating 2200 during the last three months and find it hard to imagine that I will lose fat at 3500 cals per day. I would LOVE some input here as to what I should do and expect.

-BF% guesses please

Thanks in advance for taking the time to assist me. I would be happy to keep everyone updated in my journey if you would like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Hard and heavy five times a week? Post your workout routine including exersizes,sets,reps and weight. There my be some answers in the response.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

Wannabebig Member
    keep lifting heavy and keep the diet clean. Keep doing your 20 min. cardio at least 3 times a week. Dont go to crazy with the calories, just eat healthy. Re-asses your situation in the summer after you have cut some fat and gained more muscle.....

Beaver ******
    Forget the online calculators.

Start recording your food intake at fitday.com and figure out how much you are eating. If you are eating 4300 calories and not loosing any weight then you'll need to drop the calories by 10-20 percent. You should start to lose weight and when you stop losing then reduce again by another 10-20 percent. Keep lifting heavy. You will lose some muscle along with your fat but with a good diet you can reduce the amount lost (Muscle).

You mentioned working out hard 5 days a week. What kind of routine? If it's something you've just thrown together I suggest WBB1 routine. There are some other good routines that WBB provides.

Anything beyond that advice is something I'll leave for the more knowledgeable members to answer.

Find yourself a proven routine FIRST! No sense in putting forth a bunch of effort if it's not going to be productive.

Bulk? Cut? I say do neither. Get yourself on a clean diet, stay consistant, and focus on gaining strength and muscle. Start by reading this.

<edit> Nicky beat me to it
    Last edited by Off Road; 01-03-2010 at 09:13 AM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Find yourself a proven routine FIRST! No sense in putting forth a bunch of effort if it's not going to be productive.

Bulk? Cut? I say do neither. Get yourself on a clean diet, stay consistant, and focus on gaining strength and muscle. Start by reading this.

<edit> Nicky beat me to it
    agrd.. you need a strength program while dieting meticulously

Read all the stickes. Pick a good routine. Lift real hard in the gym. Get your diet right. In one year you'll look like a new person.

You've done a good job at getting started. One thing that needs to be addressed is that you need to do things that enhance your metabolic rate. This is a must for long term progress. You need to make your body efficient at burning fat and not just do cardio do burn calories because in the end this can work against you and even hinder fat loss. Doing a properly designed program and diet tailored to you is the best way to go so you don't keep pinballing. Also you can't just do a pure strength program because this won't help to increase your metabolism. You need more of a hybrid approach. Just lifting heavier weights is not the answer. You can have strength oriented exercises in the program but that can not be the whole context of the program.

Also determining what your body needs as far as calories is not as simple as using online calculators. The amount of muscle you carry, your background, how long you been lifting, what type of programs you've been doing, etc... all factor in for a diet and even then it needs to be adjusted accordingly.

By the looks of your pics you do need to add quite a bit of muscle, but realize this takes time so being patient and consistent is key, along with the right protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post
    You've done a good job at getting started. One thing that needs to be addressed is that you need to do things that enhance your metabolic rate. This is a must for long term progress. You need to make your body efficient at burning fat and not just do cardio do burn calories because in the end this can work against you and even hinder fat loss. Doing a properly designed program and diet tailored to you is the best way to go so you don't keep pinballing. Also you can't just do a pure strength program because this won't help to increase your metabolism. You need more of a hybrid approach. Just lifting heavier weights is not the answer. You can have strength oriented exercises in the program but that can not be the whole context of the program.

Also determining what your body needs as far as calories is not as simple as using online calculators. The amount of muscle you carry, your background, how long you been lifting, what type of programs you've been doing, etc... all factor in for a diet and even then it needs to be adjusted accordingly.

By the looks of your pics you do need to add quite a bit of muscle, but realize this takes time so being patient and consistent is key, along with the right protocol.
    Acress you seem to have a very firm grasp on changing the way peoples bodies look. I am curious about what some your of approaches may be for a few different types of lifters. Diet withstanding what would be the differences in your opinon of the proper workout for three different types of lifters?

All beginning lifters (under 4 months) All with the same goal (Be strong,have some size,be athletic looking and be 200ish pounds). 25yrs old

1) 6' 155lbs
    2) 6' 200lbs
    3) 6' 250lbs

I know this is a bit generic but I would like to see the methodology behind it.
    Maybe post the specific routine for each.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    Acress you seem to have a very firm grasp on changing the way peoples bodies look. I am curious about what some your of approaches may be for a few different types of lifters. Diet withstanding what would be the differences in your opinon of the proper workout for three different types of lifters?

All beginning lifters (under 4 months) All with the same goal (Be strong,have some size,be athletic looking and be 200ish pounds). 25yrs old

1) 6' 155lbs
    2) 6' 200lbs
    3) 6' 250lbs

I know this is a bit generic but I would like to see the methodology behind it.
    Maybe post the specific routine for each.
    That isn't enuff info to do a proper assessment to determine what each individual would need at this point. Also that is multiple goals not just one so it would need to be a bit more specific. As much as I woud like to I can't just give out specific routines because this is how I make a living.

The methodology I use to design programs is not just a black and white system. I use all training priciples, cues from athletes like gymnasts, sprinters, mountain climbers, etc.. using the power principle alot also and many other methods. Take what is useful and throw the rest away.

They need to be able to serve the individual to keep there metabolic conditioning up, keep there CNS efficient, and keep their body's balanced and teaching them to train intensely as well which is developed over time along with workload capacity, as you see I lean toward a higher volume approach.

It all comes down to a persons current "needs state" and what the bigger picture is. Programs should be a progression from one to the other to achieve the persons goals in the most effective and efficient manner. Hope this gives you some insight. That was a good question because even though their goals maybe the same the approach you need to take with each would be different.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 01-03-2010 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post
    That isn't enuff info to do a proper assessment to determine what each individual would need at this point. Also that is multiple goals not just one so it would need to be a bit more specific. As much as I woud like to I can't just give out specific routines because this is how I make a living.

The methodology I use to design programs is not just a black and white system. I use all training priciples, cues from athletes like gymnasts, sprinters, mountain climbers, etc.. using the power principle alot also and many other methods. Take what is useful and throw the rest away.

They need to be able to serve the individual to keep there metabolic conditioning up, keep there CNS efficient, and keep their body's balanced and teaching them to train intensely as well which is developed over time along with workload capacity, as you see I lean toward a higher volume approach.

It all comes down to a persons current "needs state" and what the bigger picture is. Programs should be a progression from one to the other to achieve the persons goals in the most effective and efficient manner. Hope this gives you some insight. That was a good question because even though their goals maybe the same the approach you need to take with each would be different.
    Cool sure don't want to effect anyone's lively hood in todays economy!

I am glad you understood the question. I didn't know if it came across correctly. One thing I like about PL/BB is the constant search for the optimum methods of traing and diet.

Keep posting so I can learn more!

I would Forget the cardio and just worry about Putting on muscle, if you just worry about losing weight now your skin will just be all loose and you wont look defined.

Wannabebig Member
    I'm no expert but it seems to me that you have lost alot of weight pretty quick and it looks as though you are begining to produce loose skin. I would bulk bulk bulk untill you get rid of that loose skin and put on some good shape and size, then worry about cutting.
    height:6'1"
    weight:235
    bench:375
    squat:530
    deadlift:605
    -------------------------------------------------