The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Anyone in the "100% Raw Powerlifting" Federation?

A guy at my gym talked to me the other day and told me I should compete, and well, I've never had any desire to compete because my numbers were too low and I wouldn't want to pay money to suck. Anywho, I went to their website, rawpowerlifting.com, and it looks like I could break some records in the next 5 years or so. My best gym lifts are 325 bench, 455 dead, 455 squat and I am sure I could do 500+ on squat and deadlifts, and this is without any wraps or a belt and drug free. I was just curious if anyone else has any experience in this federation and if it would be worth it. Thanks.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't have any experience with that federation, but it's always worth it to compete. Unless it is specifically a world meet or pro meet, there will be a huge range of strength and experience levels in the people competing. I've seen fellow competitors and the crowd get behind people just as much for sub-300 squats as 1000+ squats. If you are waiting to get "strong enough" to compete, you will likely never compete. Plus it gives your training an added element of focus and urgency.
    My advice would be to find a meet in your area and go compete. Almost all federations seem to have a raw division these days, so just go with the meet that is close just to get some experience.

Sounds good, besides, I don't know any power lifters at all in my area and it would be fun to meet some people. Now I'll just have to see how much money I have left over after I pay tuition in a month :/ I really need to meet some fun people with my interests.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I have lifted in some 100% raw meets before. I have always found the judging to be consistant and fair. I say its worth a shot. don't expect a lot from their state meets they are usually not well attended maybe 20 lifters or so, at least thats my experiance.

Don't sell yourself short about competing. My first strongman contest I did on two days rest ( a last minute decision) and never did half of the events before. I came in last in my weight class but I still felt good about myself because I knew I was getting better and building confidence. The only event i won was a tie in the deadlift because I have experience in that. Winning is great and all but you can't win if you do not try. Besides competing is a learning experience and you bond with other lifters and may even make some friends and training partners. They are competetive sports but also friendly. Where else can you have your opponent cheer you on?

Wannabebig Member
    I knew that my numbers weren't competitive going into my first competition(s). I figured that it would give me an opportunity to make beginner meet mistakes so that by the time my lifts were more competitive, I would already have had some experience under my belt.

Also, after a while I just needed the motivation in the gym. But I'm with you - meets are even more excessively expensive when you've got tuition to worry about...

I am in the 100% RAW Fed. I just did my 1st PL meet back in Nov. I really had a great time and met some really cool people. I myself did not know any PL in my area. I live in NY and went to my 1st meet in VT. I ended up meet 3 lifters that live by me and one that owns a PL gym. This past Friday I had off from work so I got to go over to his gym and workout with him a some other PL lifters it was great time. As far as the 100% RAW Fed its self I really love it very fair judging, supportive lifters, and an all around great atmoshere. I have to agree with Sean S if you wait until you think your strong enought chance are you will never compete. Once your there lift and meet other people you will realize that no one is there just to win but to set PR's and support other lifters and the sport. I was looking to total 1300 at my 1st meet and only pulled a 1235 but in the end I was not half as disappointed in myself as I thought i would be pulling such a low number. So I would really suggest you find a meet and just go for it! Good Luck and have fun.
    BW SQ BP DL Total
    283 455 365 475 1295
    272 425 345 495 1265
    229 408 275 551 1235 <---1st Meet
    Raod to 1607 Elite Total Log- http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131363
    http://www.facebook.com/#/AndredeJesus?ref=profile

Wannabebig Member
    February 20th theres a USAPL meet at the Naval Academy that should get a pretty strong turnout from Maryland lifters, I know I"ll be there.
    Raw 220/105kg lifter
    Best comp lifts:
    252.5kg/170kg/320kg
    120SN/140CJ

Best gym lifts
    257/175//320
    120SN/146CJ

I'm planning on competing in that fed in march as they're having one locally.

I competed for the first time last year and it was aweomse. I didn't think I was strong enough and when I saw some of the other lifters in my class I thought I'd be whiped clean. Surprisingly I took 1st and best lifter, so you just never know.

Plus, by competing it adds that element to your training. So often would I get unmotivated and burned out.. now I live to train and compete. It's incredible.. do it bro!!
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Can anyone tell where the 100%Raw fed's lifting standards fall? I doubt they are as strict as the IPF, but are they close? or are they closer to multiply fed standards? I mean bench pauses, squat depth, etc.

Always wondered this.

I have competed in the following feds, IPA, SPF, 100% raw, and ADAU. I will be lifting in the USAPL soon. Here are my thoughts:
    IPA- well run, had lots of fun
    SPF-had lots of fun
    100% raw- the first fed I ever lifted in, had fun, judging was consistant and the meet respectable, not much for a turnout though, a few meets only had 12 lifters
    ADAU-fun, judging was strict, bench pause was longer then any other meet. well run and organzided. Strict with rules and drug testing, very old school in mentality.

as far as standards I would say 100% raw has consistant standards more in line with ADAU but not as strict. I believe they do their best to adhere to their rule book, if the hip joint break paralle then no higher no lower. Bench pause is a good one not to short not too long.
    as a fed I think 100% raw needs to grow a little more. so some meets suffer from lack of funding or organization and support.

Sometimes it is better to do fewer well run meets then a lot of meets poorly run

just my 2 cents not trying to knock the folks who work so hard to direct a meet.