Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 80

Thread: 2012 what you think?

  1. #51
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Are we talking fast, 28 days later style zombies or the slow old school zombies?
    Old school zombies. Those 28 day later day things would present a much more difficult challenge for sure.

  2. #52
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by ncsuLuke View Post
    Are we talking fast, 28 days later style zombies or the slow old school zombies?
    28 days later style...

    they run faster which adds an extremely challenging element. If the world is overrun with zombies, what's the point in trying to live forever? If I die, I die... but at least make it a challenge to kill them/survive..

    speaking of 28 days later

    Video
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    196
    I'm not worried about 2012. 2009 tried to kill me and my GF I spent the month of April in bed sick with the flu or something, took 3 different antibiotics to get rid of it. My GF was on her way to work and got hit by a tractor trailer and fractured her c5 vertebrae and spent 3 months in a neck brace and had to have surgery.

    I also got hit by a car, hit and run while I was out riding my bike. Lucky I only had road rash and a deep bruise on my back where I landed on my phone in my jersey pocket... phone and bike survived without issue, kinda glad I went with an aluminum frame instead of carbon.

    I've been planning on getting my CC anyway, so that and a shot gun and I'm set. I would like a long range weapon, maybe a sharps 50 cal with the 34" barrel would work.
    Last edited by mr handy; 01-05-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

  4. #54
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by mr handy View Post
    I've been planning on getting my CC anyway, so that and a shot gun and I'm set. I would like a long range weapon, maybe a sharps 50 cal with the 34" barrel would work.
    get an m1a .308

    so fun to shoot
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  5. #55
    Senior Member soclydeza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    I'm kind of an empirical dick, so you'll have to excuse me. you are excused, i enjoy the debate., but in general, when someone asks for proof of something, citing ambiguous claims made by old people or anecdotal experience doesn't prove anything.
    you could ask "why is the sky blue?". i could say its because it reflects off of the blue ocean, or i could say its the gases in our atmosphere. it doesnt matter if they are facts or assumptions. the point is that i have observed the sky to be blue


    Ask anyone almost anything and they will claim things were better way back when, it's called nostalgia. You (and many others) falsely assume that the media is an accurate portrayal of life. Just because everything on television was smiling perfectly moral families doesn't mean people were actually like that. Have you ever watched the show Mad Men?
    i never stated that i experience the 50s, i wasnt alive. i just noticed something was amiss when things like, for example, kids in my highschool were poppin cough medicine to get high and girls were wearing barely any clothing and bangin everybody due to obvious poor self image influenced by the media. the sad thing is that it has gotten worse since ive been out of highschool. i refer to older people (and not even geaser old, about mid 30's and up) to compare what ive noticed growing up versus what they noticed.

    People are getting more obese I won't deny that claim.

    Political scandals? This is not a new phenomena, people that have been in power have done all kinds of shady stuff, this is nothing new.
    they have been around since the dawn of politics. while we've been hearing about them a lot more in the past decade, i will admit that some of it could be that they just got caught but i do believe that politicians have become more focused on power and money than integrity. not all, but a great deal of them. like i said, thats my belief based on observation.

    Violence among youth? Violent crime has been on a decline since the 90's.
    i do see that violence among the youth has declined since the mid-late 90's. but what about columbine? virginia tech? there was one school shooting in florida and canada a while ago, as well as attempts that have been averted before they could be carried out. the violence may be down, but some of those among the last decades lower percentage have used more intense methods to express violence and this will only echo onto others who desire to carry out a similar idea. i dont mean to sound like an old guy, but video games, movies/tv and music (and i love them all) definitely have a negative impact on impressionable youth whether its school shootings, fighting or any other form of violence. i wont argue on this one since stats do show violence to have declined but i still do think its a huge problem

    Drug use among youth? This one is a wash, it depends on the drug and you have to be skeptical of reporting methods.
    they actually just had a thing on the news last night about how teen drugs use (heroin to be specific) has escalated so much in new york that the state is stepping in and providing pamphlets on how to correctly use the drug because they know they're gonna do it anyway and they might as well do it the correct way. then theres the example i used before, kids takin cough medicine or their parents pain killers/prescriptions.


    Frivolous lawsuits? Also a wash, there is no accurate way to track what constitutes "frivolous" and what doesn't. Justice systems have been around in societies for thousands of years.
    http://www.insideprison.com/lawsuit-...statistics.asp thats a decent article on the topic, though i have seen articles arguing both sides.

    You didn't mention it, but what about all the crazy sex kids these days are having?
    theres another one. like i said before, young girls are always taught by the media that "they will never be pretty enough" so they go to great lengths to make them feel more accepted.
    then you got things like 9/11 and terrorism. i dont think we've hit rock bottom, but we're slowly on our way if something doesnt change

  6. #56
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    then you got things like 9/11 and terrorism. i dont think we've hit rock bottom, but we're slowly on our way if something doesnt change
    Look at the quote in my signature.
    I think you a failing to realize how non-objective your perception is. The belief that "Kids these days.." and "in my day things were better" is a sentiment that's been repeated by every generation for thousands of years.

    You can't take isolated incidents and use them as a litmus for the rest of society... 9/11, columbine? How about child labor during the industrial revolution, lynchings in the South, the Inquisition? All are terrible things, and have occured throughout time. Show me that terrible events have started to occur at an increasing rate. I think you are downplaying/ignoring how much the media has affected your perception.

    Anecdotal observation is not science, as it is influenced by perception. Perception is not truth, and does not hold weight in an argument.

    In reference to women and sexuality, you say that it has gotten worse since you've gotten out of highschool, yet look at the birthrate graph I posted. We had one of the highest birth rates ever in the 50's, that steep decline is because birth control came out. Teenagers have always been getting it on, it just wasn't talked about as openly. What about skimpy clothing? Look at a photo album of your parents in the 70's, girls wore next to nothing back then.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 01-05-2010 at 12:34 PM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  7. #57
    Senior Member soclydeza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    You can't take isolated incidents and use them as a litmus for the rest of society... 9/11, columbine? How about child labor during the industrial revolution, lynchings in the South, the Inquisition? All are terrible things, and have occured throughout time. Show me that terrible events have started to occur at an increasing rate. Columbine-1998 (theres a ton of them after that), 9/11-2001, war declared-2003, hurricane katrina (not the hurricane itself but how civilians were treated at the camps, which isnt reported in the media much)-2005, london bombing-2005, economic crisis-2006/2007, virginiatech-2007, mumbai attack-2008, all the corporate schemes in the past decade, and more recent, the 2 averted terrorist attacks, and these are just what where the big stories, aside from katrina.I think you are downplaying/ignoring how much the media has affected your perception.i am a strong believer in knowing both sides of a story and looking through biased media. if you asked me if O.J. simpson did it, i will simply tell you that i dont know, i wasnt there, all i can tell you is nicole is dead and i dont even know that for a fact." theres a lot of problems that the media doesnt cover. the media actually makes attempts to comfort us, make us feel like we are back in that pre 9/11 bubble again. i dont think you realize that i completely agree with you when you say that the media distorts perception of reality which is why i base my opinions off of observation. media bias plays its part in statistics as well. if i see something happening in my hometown, i dont automatically assume its like that everywhere. but when i talk with people from around the country, or the world, saying the same things happen where they live it leads me to believe that the issue is more widespread.

    In reference to women and sexuality, you say that it has gotten worse since you've gotten out of highschooli was referring more to the drugs issue, i dont play a role in teen sex anymore, yet look at the birthrate graph I posted. We had one of the highest birth rates ever in the 50's, that steep decline is because birth control came out. all that states is that the birth rate has gone down, not whether teen sex is more or less common
    as for school shootings, check this out:
    http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/....html?PageNr=2
    its worldwide and you can see the frequency increase starting in the late 90s to present, with a lot of them in the states that they never put in the news. there was one actually averted a few weeks ago about 20 mins from where i live

    this world is a scary place and if you can convince me otherwise then please do, but with the growing world population, media influence, technology and corruption i think that things are just gonna get worse unless there is a major change

  8. #58
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    why are we getting back on topic? the thread's turn to zombies was quite a bump up
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  9. #59
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,404
    yeah enough useless stats, lets get back to the issue.


    Im thinking of switching to an AR15 for the zombies or the AK47, you know accuracy by volume
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  10. #60
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    AR15 is solid. I would make sure to carry at least 4 .45s on me as well as a machete and even a few grenades for those sticky situations.

    I think an old school medieval style axe would be pretty awesome too, but not very good during mass invasions..

    Ever play Team Fortress? I could rock that chaingun Heavy carries around.. that would be sick..
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  11. #61
    Senior Member jp2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    424
    Dual M249's are always nice for zombie killing
    Video

  12. #62
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,400
    Flamethrower for me.

    Im thinking of switching to an AR15 for the zombies or the AK47, you know accuracy by volume
    I'd go with the AK47 in this situation.

  13. #63
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by jp2 View Post
    Dual M249's are always nice for zombie killing
    Video
    that's effing awesome.. however, terribly impractical.. you can't run around killing zombies all day with something like that, you're too immobile..

    see zombie thread:: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132795
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  14. #64
    Senior Member jp2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    that's effing awesome.. however, terribly impractical.. you can't run around killing zombies all day with something like that, you're too immobile..

    see zombie thread:: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132795
    haha great thread, I have to leave for work soon. i'll have to think of some answers and post them later.....

  15. #65
    still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    0
    Three pages and I didn't see anyone bring this up.
    2012 according to which calendar? Doing a search raises a lot of questions that squashed Y2K as well. When the switch
    Was made to the Gregorian calendar there was already a margin of error in place. I remember a documentary citing thahat we believed to be 2000 was closer to the year 2007. The 2012 that the Mayans spoke of has most likely passed. When I get home I'm going to find the studies I remember reading.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

  16. #66
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    A zombie killing flame thrower would be ace!

    And lets not forget about turning our beloved plates and dumbbells on those already dead *******s!

  17. #67
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    Three pages and I didn't see anyone bring this up.
    2012 according to which calendar? Doing a search raises a lot of questions that squashed Y2K as well. When the switch
    Was made to the Gregorian calendar there was already a margin of error in place. I remember a documentary citing thahat we believed to be 2000 was closer to the year 2007. The 2012 that the Mayans spoke of has most likely passed. When I get home I'm going to find the studies I remember reading.
    A number of Calenders "end" on this date because of the order of cycles of the sun rising and location of the stars and moon in the sky (it was how they told time and seasons) after they ran a number of cycles in a certain given time, the uniform end date is that time. its very basic math that can be reciprocated very easily using measurements of the sky patterns, I would go into detail but i dont feel like it but this is how a lot of these ancient calenders were devised....


    now back to zomibies..


    I'm soo doing the ****ing dual wielding machine guns

    What about a Zombie BFG from Duke Nukem

    or some plasma rifles
    Last edited by BigCorey75; 01-05-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  18. #68
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post

    I'm soo doing the ****ing dual wielding machine guns
    Not mobile, not practical at all, but that would be the most epic last stand of all time. Just imagine standing on top of a pile of dead zombies and blasting away at horde after horde. You probably wouldn't even have to shoot some of them, I bet a few of their heads would explode just out amazement at the awesomeness.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 01-05-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  19. #69
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Not mobile, not practical at all, but that would be the most epic last stand of all time. Just imagine standing on top of a pile of dead zombies and blasting away at horde after horde. You probably wouldn't even have to shoot some of them, I bet a few of their heads would explode just out amazement at the awesomeness.

    Thats my goal
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

  20. #70
    big on TONING dynamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Cockeysville, MD
    Posts
    1,219
    Quote Originally Posted by TremL96 View Post
    How could a couple of civilizations from several thousand years ago predict a change in human thinking on a specific year? (forgive me if I misinterpreted that). I could believe the end of the world prediction more than that.
    Its more something to do with turning their method of prediction into a mathematical formula and graphing that function, in both cases it ends at 2012.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

  21. #71
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    as for school shootings, check this out:
    http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/....html?PageNr=2
    its worldwide and you can see the frequency increase starting in the late 90s to present, with a lot of them in the states that they never put in the news. there was one actually averted a few weeks ago about 20 mins from where i live

    this world is a scary place and if you can convince me otherwise then please do, but with the growing world population, media influence, technology and corruption i think that things are just gonna get worse unless there is a major change
    That's interesting about the increase in public shootings and I wonder what the reasons behind them is. However, the world is a scary place and has always been a scary place. People tend to let nostalgia cloud judgement, hence why anytime you ask anyone if things are getting worse, the resounding response is going to be "of course." As I said before, look at the quote in my signature from Socrates. You can't formulate an argument based upon the perceptions of others. If people were so reliable we wouldn't need placebos in drug trials.

    Coincidentally enough, The Daily Show had a nice piece on this: http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...0-george-lucas
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    서울돌아가고싶단말이야
    Posts
    553
    Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    28 days later style...

    they run faster which adds an extremely challenging element. If the world is overrun with zombies, what's the point in trying to live forever? If I die, I die... but at least make it a challenge to kill them/survive..

    speaking of 28 days later

    Video
    isn't that vid a fake? video from doomsday? and the comments...

    And that dude in the vid is this guy from Braveheart, says he's in Doomsday and not 28 months later...

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641244/

    might not be your point, i'm just sayin
    Age: 28 Height: 6'2" Goals: BW 95kg Bench 95kg 10x
    My Journal My FatDay

  23. #73
    Custom User Title
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    The earth is 4.5 billion years old, so it has a pretty good track record for existing and life has been around for about 3.5 billion years so it also has a good track record for existing.
    And the Thanksgiving turkey has a track record of getting fed every day of its life until the day before Thanksgiving. The past isn't always the best predictor of the future. The farmer knows the exact date of the turkey's demise, yet the turkey thinks it will live forever.

    As for 2012, it's all horsepuck. What logical explanation is there for any of these claims? I'm seeing roughly zero so far...

    "The Heavens will align!"
    Yea, so...? How does that actually affect Earth?
    "The Mayan calendar ends!"
    Yea, so...? Even if they thought the world would end, you think there is some mystical effect that allows you to see the future? Why didn't they forecast the last two years of economic hardship? The bastards!
    Last edited by Bergs; 01-06-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

    Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

    Training log

  24. #74
    LittleJake JSully's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,172
    Quote Originally Posted by natediesel View Post
    isn't that vid a fake? video from doomsday? and the comments...

    And that dude in the vid is this guy from Braveheart, says he's in Doomsday and not 28 months later...

    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641244/

    might not be your point, i'm just sayin
    details details..

    point is they're making a 28 months later, lol
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

  25. #75
    WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    Posts
    4,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergs View Post
    And the Thanksgiving turkey has a track record of getting fed every day of its life until the day before Thanksgiving. The past isn't always the best predictor of the future. The farmer knows the exact date of the turkey's demise, yet the turkey thinks it will live forever.

    As for 2012, it's all horsepuck. What logical explanation is there for any of these claims? I'm seeing roughly zero so far...

    "The Heavens will align!"
    Yea, so...? How does that actually affect Earth?
    "The Mayan calendar ends!"
    Yea, so...? Even if they thought the world would end, you think there is some mystical effect that allows you to see the future? Why didn't they forecast the last two years of economic hardship? The bastards!


    I had some 2012 believer told me that "Did you know that The Earth, the sun and the center of the milkyway galaxy will be in a perfectly straight line on December 21, 2012 and with this perfect alignment of gravitational forces will allow a solar flare large enough to destroy our atmosphere and destroy all life on earth!!!"

    I told him, "You are absolutely right, the earth sun and center of the milkyway galaxy will be in perfect alignment on December 21, 2012, as it is on every single December 21 of every year"

    I love how we forget the Mayans until now we look at their calender and it "ends" and how we think an ancient civilization can predict the end of our world and existence, when it all actuality its a simple mathematical function of the movements of the planets and starts across the sky and horizon and the function ends and "resets" on that day in 2012
    Last edited by BigCorey75; 01-06-2010 at 10:52 AM.
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

    Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

    Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

    Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

    "Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Similar Threads

  1. 2012
    By hellagrant in forum General Chat
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 12:01 PM
  2. London awarded 2012 Olympic Summer Games
    By pfc3rex in forum General Chat
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 03:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •