The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Gamer/Lifter

2012 what you think?

So we are approaching 2012 where we will all die. Well at least according to some.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because I find it interesting.

So this is what I think,

I don't think anything will happen, I really don't.

Even if it was all true and the world is really going end on that day then what are we going do about it?

The poles are going shift the sun is going come in and burn us all to hell. Ok, so even if that is true how can I prevent it? Therefore since I can't prevent it why worry about it?

Sum it up, I don't think anything will happen, and if it does does it really matter?

By matter I mean is if your faith is predetermined then what does it matter what happens next since the end result is determined? we might as well just remain ignorant and enjoy the bliss of it.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i suspect most of the world will kill itself out of their love for God, then the rest of the world that is left will realized how ****ed up that was and stop doing it. Or it could be more subtle. who knows...
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

LOL you guys can't be serious...

What's sad is that we've already had a thread covering this. Maybe the world has already ended...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

you never know...its less than 3 years away now, just wait til 2012, every other thread will be about 2012, then there will be a sticky talking about not to make a thread about 2012 and to just use the official 2012 thread. things are only going to get worse from here on out.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    things are only going to get worse from here on out.
    Yeah but only because people are going to keep talking about this 2012 crap.

Looks like WBB will be the first thing to fall victim of the Mayan prophecies!
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 01-04-2010 at 12:40 AM.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by d'Anconia View Post
    Yeah but only because people are going to keep talking about this 2012 crap.

Looks like WBB will be the first thing to fall victim of the Mayan prophecies!
    and I Ching and nostradamus....dun dun dun
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Wannabebig New Member
    I completely agree with the post of nik... common guys how can it be so true that in 2012 the world is going to end... if its, it could be happening anytime.. Of course if the world ends then what are we suppose to do... nothing! just do your thing and be good.at least now...

As far as i know the mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world. They just stopped their calender there. How long were they supposed to make the calender? Where should they have stopped?
    Last edited by slashkills; 01-04-2010 at 06:27 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    as far as i know the mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world. They just stopped there calender there. How long were they supposed to make the calender? Where should they have stopped?
    never

As far as i know the mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world. They just stopped there calender there. How long were they supposed to make the calender? Where should they have stopped?
    Exactly.

Based on all the research the Mayans did in order to come up with the calendar, it's probably as far out as they could have reasonably gone. There is no text anywhere by the Mayans that predicts the end of the world. They predicted a solar eclipse and transitive Venus in 2012, but not the end of the world. Incidentally, the transitive Venus is supposed to happen in June of 2012, so if the world has ended, why would they have predicted something so rare to occur after the fact?

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

As far as i know the mayans never said that 2012 was the end of the world. They just stopped their calender there. How long were they supposed to make the calender? Where should they have stopped?
    I was under the impression that it stopped there because they didn't know what would happen next.

The way I understand it, there isn't supposed to be an apocalypse, just a fundamental change. Not the end of the world, but the end of the world as we know it. Some people have predicted a shift in global consciousness or however you want to say it. Some say positive, some say negative.

I say it doesn't matter enough to me to have an opinion...but it is some entertaining stuff to read.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    I was under the impression that it stopped there because they didn't know what would happen next.

The way I understand it, there isn't supposed to be an apocalypse, just a fundamental change. Not the end of the world, but the end of the world as we know it. Some people have predicted a shift in global consciousness or however you want to say it. Some say positive, some say negative.

I say it doesn't matter enough to me to have an opinion...but it is some entertaining stuff to read.
    maybe that's when the climate change will happen..

OH NOES!! The Day After Tomorrow comes true??!?!?!?!?!

Glad I live in AZ, no snow here bitches..

hahaha
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I find it interesting that everyone is taking it literally...I never once thought that the world was going to literally end. The earth is 4.5 billion years old, so it has a pretty good track record for existing and life has been around for about 3.5 billion years so it also has a good track record for existing. As for the mayan calander ending thats fine, its ended many times, if you look into it, its all about cycles and rebirth, nothing really ends in the mayan calender, there are just historic cycles that occur.

Knowing that, as well as knowing the cycles of the I Ching, I really just see 2012 as a new cycle. The interesting thing is the I Ching and the mayan calender's cycles end on 2012, as in they can't be extrapolated to show the next series of cycles, as one could do for the past 1000 years with the mayan calander and the past 5000 or so years with the I Ching. To me this mean there will, and certainly not abruptly, be a change in thinking, a maturity in society, where hopefully the wars of the past and the complete desolation of certain areas in the world will stop and we will finally start realizing we're all in this together and we will work our way towards a sustainable global utopia (for lack of a better word). Well thats what I hope anyway.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dynamo View Post
    The earth is 4.5 billion years old, so it has a pretty good track record for existing and life has been around for about 3.5 billion years so it also has a good track record for existing.
    And the Thanksgiving turkey has a track record of getting fed every day of its life until the day before Thanksgiving. The past isn't always the best predictor of the future. The farmer knows the exact date of the turkey's demise, yet the turkey thinks it will live forever.

As for 2012, it's all horsepuck. What logical explanation is there for any of these claims? I'm seeing roughly zero so far...

"The Heavens will align!"
    Yea, so...? How does that actually affect Earth?
    "The Mayan calendar ends!"
    Yea, so...? Even if they thought the world would end, you think there is some mystical effect that allows you to see the future? Why didn't they forecast the last two years of economic hardship? The bastards!
    Last edited by Bergs; 01-06-2010 at 10:34 AM.
    DL 650x1 (raw)
    SQ 479x1 (raw), 700x1(suit+briefs)
    BP 395x1 (raw), 457x1 (single ply)

Current: 6'1, 265; Goal: 6'6, 270

Training log

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post

damn I totally missed this and could've save myself some keyboard pecking...
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    365 Front Squat

Gamer/Lifter
    I read that too, I did a bit of resarch on it and this what I found.

The people saying that it would happen language was extreme and completely crazy.

The poeple sayng nothing would happen sounded normal.

Guess we will find out in 2 years uh?
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press.
    "It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech.
    "It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate.
    "It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Quote Originally Posted by Nik00117 View Post
    So we are approaching 2012 where we will all die. Well at least according to some.

The reason why I'm bringing this up is because I find it interesting.

So this is what I think,

I don't think anything will happen, I really don't.

Even if it was all true and the world is really going end on that day then what are we going do about it?

The poles are going shift the sun is going come in and burn us all to hell. Ok, so even if that is true how can I prevent it? Therefore since I can't prevent it why worry about it?

Sum it up, I don't think anything will happen, and if it does does it really matter?

By matter I mean is if your faith is predetermined then what does it matter what happens next since the end result is determined? we might as well just remain ignorant and enjoy the bliss of it.

i find the topic to be very interesting. do i think it will happen? probably not since there have been so many other dates that they said the world would end and theres also prophecies saying the world will end in 2030, 2060, 2100, and so on. but i do think its interesting to think about and honestly, the human race could use some major catastrophy to straighten it out. as for the science behind it, there is supposed to be a peak in solar flair activity which would account for the under layers of the earth heating up and shifting the poles, but scientist say that this would have to happen over millions of years. a strong enough solar flair could screw up the earths magnetic field and, if large enough, screw up any electricity reliant technology. from a sociological perspective, humanity is getting more and more ^%$#ed up, so maybe it will pop and destroy itself in 2012. i do believe in most prophecies and this one is possible but i think the boy has cried wolf so many times in the past that it kinda takes away from the credibility.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    from a sociological perspective, humanity is getting more and more ^%$#ed up,
    Prove it.
    No seriously, I hear stuff like this all the time with no evidence to back it up. I think we have come a long way and still have a long way to go, but the idea that terrible things are a product of modern society is laughable.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Prove it.
    No seriously, I hear stuff like this all the time with no evidence to back it up. I think we have come a long way and still have a long way to go, but the idea that terrible things are a product of modern society is laughable.
    look around. some general examples that have either started or escalated in the past 20 years, school shootings, people going crazy suing each other since that stupid lady who burnt her self on mcdonalds coffee, youth drug use and violence, political scandals, obesity in this county, greed, the list goes on. i talk to older people about politics and society due to their experience and i always ask "do you think that the world is screwed up today" and they agree that the world has always had its problems but theres a lot going wrong today, more than in a while or ever in some cases.

while i do agree that we've made a lot of advances, i believe modern society has a lot of problems and is spurring new ones due to continuing technology advances and media methods and the key is in impressionable youth. if you really want me to get graphs and stats i will, but i can't deny what i and others have noticed throughout our life.
    Last edited by soclydeza; 01-04-2010 at 03:19 PM.

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    look around. some general examples that have either started or escalated in the past 20 years, school shootings, people going crazy suing each other since that stupid lady who burnt her self on mcdonalds coffee, youth drug use and violence, political scandals, obesity in this county, greed, the list goes on. i talk to older people about politics and society due to their experience and i always ask "do you think that the world is screwed up today" and they agree that the world has always had its problems but theres a lot going wrong today, more than in a while or ever in some cases.

while i do agree that we've made a lot of advances, i believe modern society has a lot of problems and is spurring new ones due to continuing technology advances and media methods and the key is in impressionable youth. if you really want me to get graphs and stats i will, but i can't deny what i and others have noticed throughout our life.
    I dont believe the world is any more screwed up than it has been, there is just far more coverage and exposure to the bad **** that has been going on for years.

This is one thing that kills me when I hear an older person say, "man it was so much better in the old days" really? was being scared ****less of Russia fun? or having segregated schools, public places was that so much better than being able to eat where you want to eat and go to school as you wish? Was it really better having to lug a huge phone around with 3 miles of cord to talk to someone, vs having a mini computer in your pocket?

were things truly that much better in the old days?

u had your same lunatics, now lunatics have more technology
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

I'm kind of an empirical dick, so you'll have to excuse me, but in general, when someone asks for proof of something, citing ambiguous claims made by old people or anecdotal experience doesn't prove anything.

Ask anyone almost anything and they will claim things were better way back when, it's called nostalgia. You (and many others) falsely assume that the media is an accurate portrayal of life. Just because everything on television was smiling perfectly moral families doesn't mean people were actually like that. Have you ever watched the show Mad Men?

People are getting more obese I won't deny that claim.

Political scandals? This is not a new phenomena, people that have been in power have done all kinds of shady stuff, this is nothing new.

Violence among youth? Violent crime has been on a decline since the 90's.

Drug use among youth? This one is a wash, it depends on the drug and you have to be skeptical of reporting methods.

Frivolous lawsuits? Also a wash, there is no accurate way to track what constitutes "frivolous" and what doesn't. Justice systems have been around in societies for thousands of years.

You didn't mention it, but what about all the crazy sex kids these days are having?

Starting Current

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    I'm kind of an empirical dick, so you'll have to excuse me, but in general, when someone asks for proof of something, citing ambiguous claims made by old people or anecdotal experience doesn't prove anything.

A
    http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/librar...er2/sec12.html

While violent crime overall has been on a decline, youth crime has stayed fairly consistent. In fact figure 2-8 in the above link shows an uptick in cases of assault with injury after 1994.

And keep in mind that 58% (according to the link) of violent youth crimes are NOT reported to the police meaning almost 6 in every 10 cases are not recorded.

And of the ones that are it is estimated that only between 6-14% of chronic offenders are ever arrested.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 01-04-2010 at 07:31 PM.

I'm kind of an empirical dick, so you'll have to excuse me. you are excused, i enjoy the debate., but in general, when someone asks for proof of something, citing ambiguous claims made by old people or anecdotal experience doesn't prove anything.
    you could ask "why is the sky blue?". i could say its because it reflects off of the blue ocean, or i could say its the gases in our atmosphere. it doesnt matter if they are facts or assumptions. the point is that i have observed the sky to be blue

Ask anyone almost anything and they will claim things were better way back when, it's called nostalgia. You (and many others) falsely assume that the media is an accurate portrayal of life. Just because everything on television was smiling perfectly moral families doesn't mean people were actually like that. Have you ever watched the show Mad Men?
    i never stated that i experience the 50s, i wasnt alive. i just noticed something was amiss when things like, for example, kids in my highschool were poppin cough medicine to get high and girls were wearing barely any clothing and bangin everybody due to obvious poor self image influenced by the media. the sad thing is that it has gotten worse since ive been out of highschool. i refer to older people (and not even geaser old, about mid 30's and up) to compare what ive noticed growing up versus what they noticed.

People are getting more obese I won't deny that claim.

Political scandals? This is not a new phenomena, people that have been in power have done all kinds of shady stuff, this is nothing new.
    they have been around since the dawn of politics. while we've been hearing about them a lot more in the past decade, i will admit that some of it could be that they just got caught but i do believe that politicians have become more focused on power and money than integrity. not all, but a great deal of them. like i said, thats my belief based on observation.

i do see that violence among the youth has declined since the mid-late 90's. but what about columbine? virginia tech? there was one school shooting in florida and canada a while ago, as well as attempts that have been averted before they could be carried out. the violence may be down, but some of those among the last decades lower percentage have used more intense methods to express violence and this will only echo onto others who desire to carry out a similar idea. i dont mean to sound like an old guy, but video games, movies/tv and music (and i love them all) definitely have a negative impact on impressionable youth whether its school shootings, fighting or any other form of violence. i wont argue on this one since stats do show violence to have declined but i still do think its a huge problem

Drug use among youth? This one is a wash, it depends on the drug and you have to be skeptical of reporting methods.
    they actually just had a thing on the news last night about how teen drugs use (heroin to be specific) has escalated so much in new york that the state is stepping in and providing pamphlets on how to correctly use the drug because they know they're gonna do it anyway and they might as well do it the correct way. then theres the example i used before, kids takin cough medicine or their parents pain killers/prescriptions.

Frivolous lawsuits? Also a wash, there is no accurate way to track what constitutes "frivolous" and what doesn't. Justice systems have been around in societies for thousands of years.
    http://www.insideprison.com/lawsuit-...statistics.asp thats a decent article on the topic, though i have seen articles arguing both sides.

You didn't mention it, but what about all the crazy sex kids these days are having?
    theres another one. like i said before, young girls are always taught by the media that "they will never be pretty enough" so they go to great lengths to make them feel more accepted.
    then you got things like 9/11 and terrorism. i dont think we've hit rock bottom, but we're slowly on our way if something doesnt change

The world was predicted to end in 1982 when all the planets aligned...we're still here.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    The world was predicted to end in 1982 when all the planets aligned...we're still here.
    That's what the aliens that sent Haley's Comet want you to think.

Starting Current