Thread: How to start a 10 year old

How to start a 10 year old

My 10 year old son has been asking if he can start weight training for about a year now. I tested his commitment by giving him daily calisthenics and he is seems serious about it.

I am considering adding him on to my gym membership. Does anyone have any idea's of what kind of routine I would start a 10 year old on? I know for beginners the general rule is "heavy compounds" though I can't see giving him all that weight would do much good.

Any thoughts would be appreciated .

Thanks

Yeah i dont think you go to heavy with THOSE kind of beginners...im not sure myself, thats what logic would induce to me. im not sure exactly...hope some others will pitch in.

I'm no pediatrician, but if he were mine I'd have him doing the basic compound movements, keeping strict form, and something around 2 sets of 15...not to failure. Then take it from there. Don't let anyone tell you that lifting weights will stunt his growth...that's been disproven for over 20 years now.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Are you sure your gym will allow him to join at his age?

Have you tried enrolling him in sports?
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by Sidior View Post
    Have you tried enrolling him in sports?
    Word. I hear football is kind of big thing in America, but if thats what he is into. Maybe rock-climbing?

Yeah the gym will let him enroll but he needs to be with me. They also have kids fitness classes and a rock climbing wall(for extra money).

He tried a few different sports with no interest. He clearly has an interest in lifting weights. Even with the pushups and stuff I have been giving him he works to do more and more so I can tell he has that addiction to strength. He is big for his age and I'm thinking it might be something he is good at.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Gillmore View Post
    Word. I hear football is kind of big thing in America, but if thats what he is into. Maybe rock-climbing?
    Haha this is funny. I enjoy the comments made from people outside the US
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

My daughter is 8 and like your son is wanting to emulate dad. She begs me to let her do all the stuff I do, I of course do not. I have her doing simple compound moves (pushups and dumbell squats to start) focusing on form with little to no weight (kind of like the above poster mentioned). I told her that if she is serious and sticks with it then as she gets a little older/stronger she can start to incorporate more and more of the lifts she see's her dad doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post
    Yeah the gym will let him enroll but he needs to be with me. They also have kids fitness classes and a rock climbing wall(for extra money).

He tried a few different sports with no interest. He clearly has an interest in lifting weights. Even with the pushups and stuff I have been giving him he works to do more and more so I can tell he has that addiction to strength. He is big for his age and I'm thinking it might be something he is good at.
    the kids fitness classes with rock climbing sounds pretty cool. Maybe see if he can do a trial class to see how he likes it.

If your son is still serious about weight training after trying a few other things. I would find his 20 rep max, and do a 3X12 at his 20RM with plenty of rest in between sets.
    DO NOT GO HEAVY. While bones are still building in youths it's not good to use heavy weights, as it can cause deformities (very minimal risk of that though). Now a light weight that he could do rather easily, with decent intensity and medium amount of reps, wouldn't hurt.
    If he can't lift it with perfect form, it's toooooo heavy. But, like I said, I would try to get him interested in something else first. For a few years anyway. But if he keeps wanting to lift, light weight, medium reps, a couple times a week would be ok.

You can't go wrong with pullups, pushups, situps and other calisthenics. At the same time, you can get him using very light weight and start teaching him to squat, bench, deadlift, row, and overhead press.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    You can't go wrong with pullups, pushups, situps and other calisthenics. At the same time, you can get him using very light weight and start teaching him to squat, bench, deadlift, row, and overhead press.
    I like this aproach.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!