The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Around 5'10 with a very small frame? What do you weigh?

I'm 5'10 1/2 with a very small frame - wrists are 6" in circumference. My weight has been hovering around 170 for the last few years and I'm just wondering what people with similar small frames have been able to get up to with mostly muscle so I can get an idea of what a reasonable goal weight is.

Also, I've tried creatine before and I'm a non-responder, so I'm really only interested in people that have done it with nothing more than protein shakes.

Thanks.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I doubt you are a non-responder. I dont even know if there is such a thing. You need to eat more, plain and simple.
    Sarvamangalam!

I was 6' 135 in 2004. i am currently a moderately lean 220.

a reasonable goal would be for you to gain 20lbs over the next year with a linear program and consistent diet.

+1 on zen with being a nonresponder. i dont think such a thing exists

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post

a reasonable goal would be for you to gain 20lbs over the next year with a linear program and consistent diet.

Wow you were THAT skinny? thats pretty awesome that you gained so much

I am 5'9" and was 151 a year ago. I had 5.5 inch wrists. I was happy to get up to 150anything. Jan 1 this year I was 221. My abs don't show but they didn't at 150 either. Skinny little 13'' arms are now 16.5''. Whole milk, protein shakes, red meat, ect. But I do use creatine.
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

You're a non-responder to creatine? That would mean you get a ridiculous amount from whole foods...

You should be focusing on pushing yourself with your own goals, rather than comparing yourselves to others. That's a quick way to burn out imo.
    Last edited by platypus; 01-17-2010 at 05:23 PM.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

How much can you gain? A lot more than you think. I used to feel skinny at 150, now I feel skinny at 185 and I'm shooting for 200.

Serious props man. If that is you in your avatar, you are definitely a lean 220.

I'm 5'11", and weighed 155 my senior year in high school. I'm now 205 (and 32 years old), up from 176 a little more than a year ago. I had been lifting pretty much my whole life, and thought it was just impossible for me to gain weight, and I of course thought I knew everything about lifting. It wasn't until I found this site and a couple good programs, along with the proper diet that I started packing on the weight. In fact, I got up to 220 before my knee surgery a few months back. That being said, the six pack I've had my whole life has gone down to a 4...but I'll take it.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    170@ 5'10 isn't small at all. If I at like a normal person and just lifted here and there I'd be 160-165 and I'm 5'10. Now I stuff my face all day and I train my ass off now I'm at 185, still pretty lean too. I eat about 5-6000 calories per day.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I'm 5'10" with a small frame and weigh around 178 now. When I started training I was around 140.

What ZenMonkey said: eat more.

Quote Originally Posted by Progress View Post
    I'm 5'10" with a small frame and weigh around 178 now. When I started training I was around 140.

What ZenMonkey said: eat more.
    Ditto.
    5'10"

Ultra Nasty Hypertrophy journal (HCT-12)-http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...rnal!-(HCT-12)

Old My 5-3-1 Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132576

Wannabebig Member
    5'10" I weighed 165, after not eating enough and over training for a year or two. Up to 200 now, drinking a gallon of milk a day, and 3 - 4 decent meals a day.

edit: Oh and those gains were within 2 months of SS
    Last edited by co14on; 01-17-2010 at 10:09 PM.

Banned
    To me, the hardest part about working out happens outside the gym. I love going to the gym, but I hate having to stuff my face until I feel sick just to gain some weight. I only bulk in cycles...I will eat 500-1000 above maintenance for 2 months straight...then I will eat at maintenance on off days, and slightly above maintenance on lifting days and try to recomp my body. I will do this until every one of my big 3's is stalling. Right now they are, so I am attempting to get to 240...which for me, is another 2 months of mild suffering...when you are 6'5" you have to spend a lot of $$$ to hit your caloric needs + 500.

The first attempt you make at gaining weight will be the hardest. I was lifting for a year straight and didn't gain one pound...I was roughly 195 pounds and at 6'5", that is skinny. I could barely bench 185 and couldnt squat/dl 225....I then bought N-large, which is FILLED with sugar and generally not nearly as good as ALN products...but drinking two of these a day for 2 months made me go from 195 to 205. I did the same thing from 205 to 215, then 215 to 225-230ish, except I used ALN products which didnt make me feel sick. You wont make serious gains unless you are doing bulks at least some months out of the year. If you have trouble with this and are financially secure, just buy a lot of milk and make 2 extra shakes a day on top of your normal eating.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 01-17-2010 at 10:58 PM.

Hey, it's been a long time everyone, I haven't posted here in 4 years! Not sure how many of you were here around then but I'll be posting again and hope that the board is still as awesome as it used to be.

To the OP, couldn't find your age in your profile but I was 130 lbs. with a ~5'9 frame when I was 16, I was crazy lean but I was also able to add some solid muscle while keeping the body fat low. After ~6 months of serious training I went up to around 140 lbs. when I turned 17.

Once I hit 20 though my body really started to fill out its frame and I was packing pounds on easier. Although I took close to 2 years off from training due to some personal circumstances, I started hitting the gym again in August of 2009 and I'm about 180 @ 5'10 with I'd say 8-9% body fat now at 23 years of age. Only supplement I use is a protein shake 1-2 times a day to get in some extra useful calories on top of my 4-5 small meals a day. Proper nutrition, stretching your muscles, and getting enough rest/sleep are very important in your development.

Looking back at these old pics I posted here years ago really shocked me at how much my body has changed during that time, especially the growth/thickness in my upper legs and shoulders, I don't look like a skeletor anymore, but holy cow was I friggin ripped!

Quote Originally Posted by MassMan06 View Post
    I'm 5'10 1/2 with a very small frame - wrists are 6" in circumference. My weight has been hovering around 170 for the last few years and I'm just wondering what people with similar small frames have been able to get up to with mostly muscle so I can get an idea of what a reasonable goal weight is.

Also, I've tried creatine before and I'm a non-responder, so I'm really only interested in people that have done it with nothing more than protein shakes.

Thanks.
    5'10" 170 is not small-framed. In fact, its at the top ov "healthy weight" for your height on the BMI scale (and dont start on how bull**** the BMI is, we all know, i'm just making a point). That is, you are 'maximum weight' for your height, according to the idiots that came up with that awesome chart...

Is that your starting weight? or after putting on a few pounds ov muscle?

I've been 170-185 (5'10") since i was 18, but admittedly as mesomorphic as it gets. No matter how much i ate, or how hard i trained, 170-185, for 13 years. Even dipped under 170 for a bit. Then i learned how to train properly. 5 1/2 years later, 235lbs, and 4-5% leaner than i was at 180.

I also dont agree with your 'non-responder'. I find most 'non-responders' start taking the stuff WAAAAY before they need to. Learn to lift, learn to eat, put on a good 20-30lbs ov LBM, put a few hundred pounds on your three-lift total and a few inches on your measurements, THEN start taking creatine and other supplements and see what happens. I waited three years and made serious gains without anything, when i finally did take the basic supps they hit me like steroids...
    Last edited by Judas; 01-18-2010 at 05:25 AM.

Not so long ago, I was 125-130 pounds a 6' tall. I was always a very skinny kid, very athletic, but very skinny. My wrist circumference was in the 5.5-6" range, as well. My neck was about 12" (pencil-necked geek comes to mind). My forearms appeared to be just an extension of my wrists. I started lifting again about 10 years ago and decided to be fully dedicated to getting, what I thought, was "big and strong" - and doing this nearing 40 years old. I now weigh in at 255. My wrists are about 9.5" and my neck is over 18" and my forearms look fairly large.

My guess is that you're much younger than I am and if I can do this at and over 40 years old, you can do it, for sure.

DEDICATION TO: eating, lifting, sleeping.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

For those wondering, I'm 25, turning 26 in a week.

Regarding creatine, you're probably right about my not being a non-responder. I remember reading when first looking into it that something like 10-20% were non-responders but that may actually be because I didn't do everything correctly. In any case, the amount of water I had to drink, and more importantly the number of times I had to piss, just made it completely not worth it for me.

After seeing how many people my size were able to put on so much weight and muscle I decided to figure out exactly how much food I was eating. I thought I was consuming a fair amount, but turns out I average about 2,700 calories and 180g protein a day.

I'd like to try and bump that up to 3,500-4,000 for now and if all goes well increase that some more. That said, I'd prefer not to spend a ton more money than I do on my food currently because I really can't afford it. Any recommendations for cheap foods that will help me do this? I'd also prefer foods with lower cholesterol because I recently found out mine is a little high.

Also, any specific workout recommendations, especially those that focus on forearms and wrist size, would be helpful too.

Thanks again.

Also, any specific workout recommendations, especially those that focus on forearms and wrist size, would be helpful too.
    Reverse BB Curls. DB Hammer Curls. Thick BB Curls. Very Heavy Static DB Holds. Captain of Crush. Etc... you get the idea.

Cheers.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

For those wondering, I'm 25, turning 26 in a week.

Regarding creatine, you're probably right about my not being a non-responder. I remember reading when first looking into it that something like 10-20% were non-responders but that may actually be because I didn't do everything correctly. In any case, the amount of water I had to drink, and more importantly the number of times I had to piss, just made it completely not worth it for me.

Creatine or no creatine if you lift heavy you need to be drinking a lot of water.The standard is usually around a gallon.

After seeing how many people my size were able to put on so much weight and muscle I decided to figure out exactly how much food I was eating. I thought I was consuming a fair amount, but turns out I average about 2,700 calories and 180g protein a day.

I'd like to try and bump that up to 3,500-4,000 for now and if all goes well increase that some more. That said, I'd prefer not to spend a ton more money than I do on my food currently because I really can't afford it. Any recommendations for cheap foods that will help me do this? I'd also prefer foods with lower cholesterol because I recently found out mine is a little high.

Thanks again.
    As far as a routine goes it will be tough to beat Starting Strength for the basics and to make you big and strong.

http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=130170

In regards to food,meat,meat and more meat. Look for deals in the stores,my local place does buy one get one free and I buy in bulk and freeze it. Also chili's,stews and soups you can make in bulk and freeze. Canned tuna is cheap and high in protein.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Jr. bacon cheeseburgers at Wendy's have 17g of protein and 310 calories each. Yummy. 99 cents. My protein bar.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

be careful with adding too many cals too quickly.. you will get fat and be unhappy with your results.

imo.. dont add more cals until your strength gains stall.. deload, up the cals and repeat. use increments of 300 cals.. if youre actually really eating 2700/day, start at 3k.
    Last edited by twm; 01-20-2010 at 03:27 AM.

I have a small frame, I'm just under 5'9" and I currently weigh mid 230s. I have been as high as 270 though. I was also 145lbs at the end of high school.
    PRs: 655/525/645 = 1825 Total
    Meet PRs: Bench Only 525

Deadlifts bring people together. It's a fact. - Chris Rodgers

Banned
    be careful with adding too many cals too quickly.. you will get fat and be unhappy with your results.

imo.. dont add more cals until your strength gains stall.. deload, up the cals and repeat
    Agreed...eating 6k+ calories a day is unneccessary. I only bulk when my lifts stall.