The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Questions for Shelby Starnes to answer in Q & A articles

Hi,

I would like to welcome Shelby to the Wannabebig. Shelby is a successful National-level Bodybuilder & Powerlifter and is quickly becoming known as one of the top diet and bodybuilding prep coaches

We just published an interview with Shelby (Recreational Bodybuilder to Competitive Bodybuilder - An Interview with Shelby Starnes) and he will be regularly contributing to Wannabebig in the form of Q & A articles.

If you would like to submit a question for Shelby to answer, please do so in this thread. Shelby will then be reviewing the questions here and selecting some to answer in future Q & A articles.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Awesome!

Shelby:

Im ~45 weeks out from my first comp. While I do have the competitive spirit, my goal is primarily to prove to myself what Im capable of and present my absolute best on stage having left nothing behind.

For a first timer that has a good handle on diet and a good progressive routine, how would you determine how many weeks out the trainee would begin contest prep dieting?

Thank you!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

Great job on getting Shelby here. I worked with Shelby this past fall on an offseason plan and was quite happy. I'm going to read the Q&A!

Just read the article, so now my question. I believe you are a fan on cardio in the AM. As a person who hates mornings, is morning cardio necessary or is it acceptable to do evening cardio when prepping. Also, do you prefer fasted cardio or getting some food in first.
    Last edited by cphafner; 01-04-2010 at 05:53 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Shelby,

What protein sources do you recommend for vegetarians?? I may try to set up a carb cycling diet for my GF based on macros listed in some of your e-books, but my GF is vegetarian so meat is out.

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmanuel View Post
    Shelby,

What protein sources do you recommend for vegetarians?? I may try to set up a carb cycling diet for my GF based on macros listed in some of your e-books, but my GF is vegetarian so meat is out.
    Shelby answered this at Elite:

http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?qid=91911&tid=
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    She's a strict vegetarian so that doesn't really answer my question...

Well since noone else is going to take advantage of this, I'll post another one.

Shelby, do you change your food choices as you get closer to the show?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I have some generic questions...I already e-mailed a couple of them.

Is there an optimum bodyfat percentage for muscle growth?

Is it possible to gain muscle and loose fat past the beginner stages? What is the best way to accomplish this?

Authors like McRoberts, Kubik, Christey, and Liestner calim that a guy can reach 90% of his muscular potential by using a basic abreviated routine focussing on compound exercises and progression in strength. Do you agree with this?

Why do you think bodybuilding has not become more "mainstream" since it's glory days in the 80s? It used to be that everybody knew Arnold, Lou, Frank, and others, but today it's not as popular. What needs to change?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

LuNa
    I have noticed with some amazing transformations, that some people not loose as much weight as their before and after pictures would suggest. Would this mean they have gained muscle or that they have lost fat without a big loss in muscle and fluids?

Shelby,

What are some of the best choices for a powerlifter wanting to maintain weight/strength but recomposition to less bodyfat? It's difficult to get adequate caloric intake to maintain my weight (242) while eating clean.

Diet question.. realistically speaking, if one is not dieting for a competition, how important is segregating PF and PC meals? does it really matter if you just want to hover around 10-12%? what about when attempting to reduce BF?
    Last edited by twm; 01-10-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Shelby, do you agree with Justin, that consistently making better food choices is a good approach for someone in th 20+bf% to get down into the teens. That of course coupled with weight training and conditioning.

Great to have you here. I'm a big fan.

Video

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Banned
    Shelby, what are your thoughts on salt, and its place in the diet of someone who trains?

I know we are all told to keep an eye on sodium but if you drink more water and sweat through exercise then I guess you'd need more salt than the average person.

I also heard that sodium plays an important role in transporting nutrients and therefore if trying to gain mass you should add more salt to your food, and balance it by drinking more water.

I'm not sure what to make of all this, and how important or unhealthy salt actually is so I'm asking an expert!

Wannabebig Member
    Hi Shelby, I'm just curious if you have some insight on how to cut without losing muscle mass.

Over the summer I did lots of cardio, some yoga, and ate less overall while eliminating alcohol and junk. My end result was that I lost 15 pounds, approximately 7 pounds of fat and 8 pounds of muscle (according to the digital scale that I own).

This past winter I endeavored to regain that lost muscle mass, and I've gained 4 pounds of muscle and 6 pounds of fat. I'm eating healthier now than before my cut (I make sure to eat vegetables every day).

I'm ready to do a cut again, and I would prefer not to lose any of the 4 pounds of muscle that I gained. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Will

Shelby,

You are known for your nutrition knowledge, but something that I have not seen you do an article on is your views on training? What are your views ( generally speaking ) on training for size and what would you change for a fat loss stage?
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.