The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

The right direction?

Hey fellas, wanted to post up a few questions.

I've been doing SS for awhile now, and throwing in a little extra work afterwards, just a few rows/curls and some chins.

I really just wanted to see if you guys think my numbers look about right?

I'm currently benching 160 as my working set, which I can knock out fine but 165 is still making me fail on the first or second set.

I'm squatting 215, which I'm gonna stay at for a session of two as last time the last rep was very hard and I took a step forward after I stood up (my ass came up faster than my chest). I was squatting more but when I read SS Mark said DO NOT accept anything lower than rock bottom/parallel so that took my squat weight down A LOT when I started squatting real low. So now I'm back up to 215 and feeling pretty good about it.

I'm deadlifting 265, my grip fails after 2 reps and I have to regrip.

Should I lower the weight if I need to regrip and can't complete all 5 without adjusting my grip?

Also, do these numbers seem about right? The deads I feel like I could easily do 20-30 more lbs without a problem (except the grip issue) but squats are toasting me at the 215.

I really want to improve on my bench but I when I started working out 4 months ago my bench was about 125 (working set) so I've already added 35 lbs to my working bench so I know it's moving in the right direction.

Thanks for any help/advice and sorry if any of this is answered in stickies.

Also, i'm about 5'9" 190lbs.
    Last edited by SplitQuick; 01-29-2010 at 07:17 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by SplitQuick View Post
    Hey fellas, wanted to post up a few questions.

I've been doing SS for awhile now, and throwing in a little extra work afterwards, just a few rows/curls and some chins.
    Quit messing with the routine. This extra work is very unneeded and will slow your progress down on the big three. You should be exhausted at the end of the prescribed lifts.If you had energy left you aren't working hard enough

I really just wanted to see if you guys think my numbers look about right?

I'm currently benching 160 as my working set, which I can knock out fine but 165 is still making me fail on the first or second set.
    Micro-plates. Online or go to the hardware store and buy some 2" flat washers.

I'm squatting 215, which I'm gonna stay at for a session of two as last time the last rep was very hard and I took a step forward after I stood up (my ass came up faster than my chest). I was squatting more but when I read SS Mark said DO NOT accept anything lower than rock bottom/parallel so that took my squat weight down A LOT when I started squatting real low. So now I'm back up to 215 and feeling pretty good about it.
    If you got your sets in then add weight to the bar. Period. Training is hard. It hurts. Somedays it sucks and you don't want to it. Also how long are you waiting between sets? It is no big deal to wait 3-4minutes before your last work set. Sometimes to make gains you have to rest more.

I'm deadlifting 265, my grip fails after 2 reps and I have to regrip.

Should I lower the weight if I need to regrip and can't complete all 5 without adjusting my grip?
    It is ok to regrip as long as you are not taking a break. Are you using chalk? The most important thing about deadlifts is proper form and doing the work.
    Also, do these numbers seem about right? The deads I feel like I could easily do 20-30 more lbs without a problem (except the grip issue) but squats are toasting me at the 215.

I really want to improve on my bench but I when I started working out 4 months ago my bench was about 125 (working set) so I've already added 35 lbs to my working bench so I know it's moving in the right direction.

Thanks for any help/advice and sorry if any of this is answered in stickies.

Also, i'm about 5'9" 190lbs.
    I would bet based on your progress you are still not eating quite right. More milk,eggs and meat please! Get in the diet section and read,you will learn a lot about eating for lifting and life. But overall not bad just keep working.

Reread the book also. It helps keep your mind focused.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

I have a few suggestions to keep progress moving, but I don't know if they aren't exactly SS approved so keep that in mind...

Microload, eat more, get more rest days, get rid of the extra movements, and if you still can't get moving, reduce everything by one workset. In otherwords, increase your recovery.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks for the tips.

And Off Road you're right, my diet is still crap. I've stayed dedicated and stayed working out, haven't missed a day yet but my diet is pretty garbage.

I do drink about half a gallon of milk a day, sometimes more, and I do take vitamins/protein shakes but I still am a victim of mcdonalds/fast food for lunch / sometimes dinner.

The reason I threw the curls/rows/chins in there was mainly because about 3 weeks ago I stopped doing power cleans, I was able to do them but I was getting a lot of bruising on my delts from racking it so I put DB rows/BB rows in place of the cleans.

Maybe I should just stop being pansy and do the cleans anyway until my form allows me to do them without bruising.

Thanks for the advice again though guys.

Another thought on the situation - today, you can do, say 5 sets of 5. Next week, instead of adding weight, try doing 5 sets of 6 or 7, the following week, do 5 sets of 7-8. When you get to 8-10 reps, up the weight by 5-10 pounds and your reps will drop back to 5.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Yup...there are a lot of little tricks you can use to squeeze out a little more progression at the end of a cycle.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitQuick View Post
    Thanks for the tips.

And Off Road you're right, my diet is still crap. I've stayed dedicated and stayed working out, haven't missed a day yet but my diet is pretty garbage.

I do drink about half a gallon of milk a day, sometimes more, and I do take vitamins/protein shakes but I still am a victim of mcdonalds/fast food for lunch / sometimes dinner.

The reason I threw the curls/rows/chins in there was mainly because about 3 weeks ago I stopped doing power cleans, I was able to do them but I was getting a lot of bruising on my delts from racking it so I put DB rows/BB rows in place of the cleans.

Maybe I should just stop being pansy and do the cleans anyway until my form allows me to do them without bruising.

Thanks for the advice again though guys.
    Yes the MCdonalds have to go assuming you have a car get subway if you get fast food its healthy for you, and has a good amount of protein I have a proetin shale and a subway after my lifting days

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    ^^ I just dont understand this guy.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)