The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: How Many Minutes of Cardio Per Day?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • 15min or less

30 49.18%
  • 20-30min per day

23 37.70%
  • 35-45 min per day

6 9.84%
  • 45min - 1hr+ per day

2 3.28%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    How hard a pace do you go at?

My GF is really trying to get into better shape and would go to the gym everyday, except I advised her not to overtrain and get herself burnt out.
    I agree Mercuryblade ya can't make the girls hurt or they won't come back. And most of us know how hard it is to change their minds sometimes.

Very few girls are tough like Built or GoodyGirl.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Banned
    1 hour a day 5 days a week monday-friday

I havent been doing any cardio but starting 2 weeks from now im going to be doing 30-40 minutes of walking 3-4 days a week with 1 or 2 sessions of HITT. As soon as spring comes around im gonna be doing 60+ intense cardio every day (rugby) so i need to get really in shape

That Guy
    Well I'm going to ask questions because I don't want to make a new board XD
    I used to run 8-10 miles every other day with my gym training but the new routine im going is almost no cardio period. No running or anything

Though do you think doing maybe 4 miles (takes me 20ish min or so) would be good? Do you think it would hinder my muscle gain?

Im a bit of a noob myself, but ill answer anyway haha. Id say its probably fine for 3 days a week max, and it might hinder your gains, youll notice it if it does i believe, and if it does either cut the miles/time down or cut out sessions entirely.

I hate cardio, its boring except for martial arts which I don't have time or money for right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    Im a bit of a noob myself, but ill answer anyway haha. Id say its probably fine for 3 days a week max, and it might hinder your gains, youll notice it if it does i believe, and if it does either cut the miles/time down or cut out sessions entirely.
    3 days a week max? Where does the number 3 come from? What if someone does 15 minutes of cardio 3 times per week, compared to someone that does 45 minutes 3 times a week? I'm not trying to pick on you but what you just said has no merit what so ever. You pulled those numbers out of the air. Gaining muscle is not based on cardio, its based on DIET. Look up DC training and the diet to go along with it. DC training produces some of the biggest baddest bodybuilders around size wise. And they're suppose to be doing cardio almost everyday in the morning. Is it hindering their gains? If by gains you mean fat, then yea its hindering them a lot.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    3 days a week max? Where does the number 3 come from? What if someone does 15 minutes of cardio 3 times per week, compared to someone that does 45 minutes 3 times a week? I'm not trying to pick on you but what you just said has no merit what so ever. You pulled those numbers out of the air. Gaining muscle is not based on cardio, its based on DIET. Look up DC training and the diet to go along with it. DC training produces some of the biggest baddest bodybuilders around size wise. And they're suppose to be doing cardio almost everyday in the morning. Is it hindering their gains? If by gains you mean fat, then yea its hindering them a lot.
    i know im a bit of a noob and i gave fair warning of that, but he said running 4 miles at a time which would take around 20 minutes each . I didnt just randomly say oh 3 times a week bla bla, i was replying to him specifically. It sounded like he wanted to keep with the straight running and i was just basing it off what i have been told when it comes to straight running. I mean i know im a noob, but please dont reply with such a demeaning tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    How hard a pace do you go at?

My GF is really trying to get into better shape and would go to the gym everyday, except I advised her not to overtrain and get herself burnt out.
    steady state really.Unless when I'm doing a spinning,well then it's intense.

Does she weight train?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Astreocclu View Post
    i know im a bit of a noob and i gave fair warning of that, but he said running 4 miles at a time which would take around 20 minutes each . I didnt just randomly say oh 3 times a week bla bla, i was replying to him specifically. It sounded like he wanted to keep with the straight running and i was just basing it off what i have been told when it comes to straight running. I mean i know im a noob, but please dont reply with such a demeaning tone.
    My bad, I didnt realize you were referring to a previous asked question. I thought you were generalizing cardio to be done 3 days a week. I apologize.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    I agree Mercuryblade ya can't make the girls hurt or they won't come back. And most of us know how hard it is to change their minds sometimes.

Very few girls are tough like Built or GoodyGirl.
    b b b but girls have a higher pain threshold

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    My bad, I didnt realize you were referring to a previous asked question. I thought you were generalizing cardio to be done 3 days a week. I apologize.
    Dont worry about it . If i replied harshly its cause it seems like if your a noob people freak out on you all the time about everything.

I run, so over the course of the year I average about 15-18 MPW (run more during race season, less during the winter). Getting ready to start kicking it up now with my eyes on a late spring HM.

aboot 30 minutes a day. Pretty much all steady state right now. I'm trying to do all of the above. I recently started doing cardio more often in prep for a hiking trip into the mountains. Climbing for 5 hours isn't going to be easy at 242 but it'll be a lot harder at the cardiovascular state I am in.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.