Thread: i need help on form

i need help on form

im asking if anyone can give me some tips on improving the form of my squats, im pretty sure im not doing them right, probably have a similar issue with my deadlift.

Copied this off another board. From one of my training parners.

SQUAT:
    there are three main setup points - your back, your hips, and your knees/feet.
    Back: ok this can be broken down into the upper and lower back, and both are very important.
    Upper back - the scapula (shoulder blades) should be pulled hard together and forced down towards the pelvis. The result should lead to your chest being pushed out and up. your hands should be somewhere around the power rings (unless you have shoulder issues) and your elbows should be pulled under the bar a bit. you should be focusing on pulling the bar down across your shoulders and trying to pull your elbows down to your sides. The tighter the upper back, the stronger the shelf for the bar will be. your head should be up and pushed back into the bar.
    lower back - this is the area that can always improve. start by pushing your hips back a bit and rolling your hips up. Excuse the crude analogy, but imaging showing your balls (if you have them haha) to the person behind you. now squeeze your lumbar as hard as possible. it may cramp the first few times, and that's OK.
    now don't forget we need to do both of these things at the exact same time. I'm yet to meet someone that can arch too hard and have their back too tight, so keep that in mind.
    Hips - This is tied in with the arch of the lower back. Your hips/pelvis should be rolled up and back. The first movement of the squat needs to be back, not down, and setting up with your hips facing back makes this first movement MUCH easier.

Knees/Feet - Feet - wider than shoulder width is the strongest position for most people, as it recruits the largest number of muscle groups (quads, hams, glutes) but shoulder width can be used depending on your flexibility and your goals.
    Knees - they need to remain over the ankles at all times (shins vertical) - this can be achieved by sitting back, then down, as mentioned above. you should focus on pushing your knees out and "spreading the floor" with your feet. this will help recruit your groin as well, and will keep your joints in line.

Ok so that's pretty much the barebones of the setup.

squatting - the setup needs to be completely done BEFORE the bar comes out. now, for walking the weight out, your hips won't be totally pointed back, but you HAVE to keep your arch in both the upper and lower back for the walkout - setting up with weight on your shoulders just isn't going to happen.

Set up, take the weight up, and back. Set your feet up (where ever that might be width-wise). Take a deep breath, push out against your belt (if you use one, if not, push your stomach out and squeeze it as tight as possible) - now don't lose your arch.

Once you are set up, roll your hips back, take your air, and start sitting back - dante has used the analogy of taking a **** in the woods, I like to think of sitting off the back of a bench/box, or sitting down on a toilet. Move your hips back while keeping the knees fixed, as you approach the distance you can sit back, start heading down with your knees. Remember, as you descend, spread the floor with your feet and force your knees out - the whole time. as you reach the box ( if you are box squatting ) or the bottom of your squat, keep your air, arch tight, pulling your elbows under, spreading the floor, sitting back *everything mentioned so far* when you reach the bottom, the first movement should be forcing your head/neck "into the bar" this will keep your head up, and where the head goes, the body will follow. on the ascent, spread the floor, force your knees out, etc..

At the top, exhale and retake your air for your next rep. Always keep your air for the whole rep.

Well that mostly covers it I think.

Wannabebig Member
    Yep that covers it

thanks, thats really helpful (i dont havent been taught much of this, ive been working alot out on my own)

just another question, how far should i go down, ive been told to stop when my upper leg is parallel to the floor and also to go all the way down so my ass almost touches the floor
    Last edited by sabretooth; 01-17-2010 at 01:36 PM.

http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

please use the search before creating threads. A simple search would have found a ton of threads on form. You can also post some videos so people can critique your form flaws.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

im new at this, i dont use forums very often. and i cant figure out how to post videos, my phone takes them in some weird format that u cant do anything to

Ok. Then use the search. Read around the forum. Plenty of threads on form. Plenty of videos to watch. After substantial reading come back with more specific questions. Good luck with your goals.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

dude theres a cpl real powerlifting gyms in and around the dayton area....powerstation gym....chris smiths Eaton barbell.....laura phelps sweat has a gym in cinci...called sweat shop....look them up.....being taught in person will be alot better than trying to learn on here no matter how good the info...

i could only find powerstation gym, the other two i couldnt find, im out on the east edge of dayton

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/ohio

thats a list of gyms in ohio....

Watch these from beginning to end:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis..._query=squatrx
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Wannabebig Member
    i squat at powerstation every monday at 5pm then we have another couple guys that come in about an hour later.always welcome to come squat and pull with us.just be willing to listen and work hard.powerstation is a great gym also.we have two monolifts, all the bands and chains you need, reverse hyper, GHR, deadlift platform, every bar you could imagine. come give it a try man.