Thread: Training for Raw Unity

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar

Training for Raw Unity

Video

Video of squats and deadlifts for this week.

when I saw it my initial reaction was holy crap am I squatting high? But I've never received even a single red light and judges have told me I squat several inches below parellel and this didn't feel any different so I guess it's just a bad angle. Next time I'll get it from the side. But I will let the internet judges crucify me in the meantime

Reverse Band deficit deadlifts felt good though!

-Layne

Garage Lifter
    Great job on the deadlifts, they flew off the ground.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Awesome work Layne!

As far as the depth, it's difficult to tell from that angle. If you are high, it might be because you're getting pretty forward at the bottom.

Keep in mind, for the RUM you have to go pretty deep for them to give whites.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Awesome lifting!

What's the idea behind the reverse band deficit deads?
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Good stuff Layne, tear it up at RUM.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Awesome work Layne!

As far as the depth, it's difficult to tell from that angle. If you are high, it might be because you're getting pretty forward at the bottom.

Keep in mind, for the RUM you have to go pretty deep for them to give whites.
    yup, I know, but I"m pretty sure it's the angle. I'll film them from the side next week to be sure. I've never been red lighted even a single time and at my last meet they were red-lighting quite a few people so I think i'm probably ok, but i'll make sure

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Awesome lifting!

What's the idea behind the reverse band deficit deads?
    good question. well by standing on the platform it helps with barspeed off the ground, but by raising you up by 3.5" it also makes the lockout more difficult because there will be more slack in the bands compared to a regular reverse band deadlift. If you look at my rack, I also had them attached pretty low. The bands started up by my head were most people attach them at the very top of the rack I think

Great pulls Layne you are a monster. I noticed the straps. Are you just saving your hands as you know grip strength isn't an issue or do you need them to do multiple reps at those insane weights? Not a critique just trying to learn from a great puller. Pulling is my favorite exercise and prob the only one I could ever see competing in.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Banned
    Ridiculous deadlifting as usual. I'm glad to see you are going to be at RUM - it's lifters like you, Caslow, Kellum, Tuchscherer, Conyers, etc. that are going to make this one of the best meets of the year. I can't recall looking forward to a meet as much as this one. Keep up the great work!

Really tough to tell on the depth from that angle, plus the black shorts/dark shirt. As Travis said you do bend forward at the bottom and that could pop the hip up. I would think "at worst" you are at parallel. I've found that come meet time I'm really limber and I can usually get even deeper. I gets it is the adrenaline pumping. Just concentrate on sinking your opener really well and you'll be fine.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

When i get close to meets I squat in a singlet. This way I can see my depth really good on camera. Its hard to tell with baggy shorts so dont get too worked up yet. lol Just open light and feel out the judging and youll be good.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Nice deadlifting Layne, good luck!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Wannabebig Member
    Looking real strong Layne.

What are you looking to pull at the meet?

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    Great pulls Layne you are a monster. I noticed the straps. Are you just saving your hands as you know grip strength isn't an issue or do you need them to do multiple reps at those insane weights? Not a critique just trying to learn from a great puller. Pulling is my favorite exercise and prob the only one I could ever see competing in.
    no it's a legit question. I hook grip and while hook is super secure for one rep I suck with it for multiple reps and it tears the **** out of my hands. I find that the hook works better for me the LESS I use it because if I use it constantly my hands become very calloused and it's harder to hold in my hands with that hard skin as opposed to if it is nice and soft. I know that other people are different and for some guys they have to hook grip all the time. I just know this works for me though.

Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Ridiculous deadlifting as usual. I'm glad to see you are going to be at RUM - it's lifters like you, Caslow, Kellum, Tuchscherer, Conyers, etc. that are going to make this one of the best meets of the year. I can't recall looking forward to a meet as much as this one. Keep up the great work!
    well i do not belong being mentioned with that group of lifters but I appreciate it. My bench will likely keep me from being in the hunt for a win (tore my pec badly in 08 and didn't start benching at all til about 10 months ago) I just want to go down, set PRs, have fun and I know being around all those greats is going to get me ****ing psyched (like i'm not anyway)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Hamilton View Post
    Looking real strong Layne.

What are you looking to pull at the meet?
    I think I will go 705 for my 2nd attempt which would be a PR (current PR is 700) and depending on how that feels I'll go anywhere from 711-720 or maybe even 725 if I want to get crazy LOL. We'll just have to see how I'm feeling.

How about you?

Wannabebig Member
    You will kill 705 for sure.

Im not sure exactly right now. I started pulling different for some reason and I have to fix it. Ill know more in a couple of weeks, I was looking to pull 730 or so for a 2nd attemp but we'll see how the next couple of weeks go.

Wannabebig Member
    It probably doesn't matter what any of us in the middles are doing. I'm not sure anyone can beat Kellum yet.

Jesse is a beast for sure. I know I won't win. My bench just isn't at a competitive level yet. I would not be surprised if I put up the lowest bench in the middles. That pec tear set me back pretty good and mentally it's still hard for me to commit to a really explosive press, though at somepoint I'll just have to get over it. I want to go down and break my own PRs and have a good time.

Dr. Subtotal
    Solid stuff. Going into a field like that and holding your own will be a nice accomplishment
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...