Thread: Ideas to make this taste better? Homemade carb / fat bar thing....

Ideas to make this taste better? Homemade carb / fat bar thing....

Ok this is based of a recipe I found on the net I just added the oats and took away the protein powder they recommended ( this is because I would rather drink my protein or say I was having some chicken or steak for lunch I could use this bar to fill some of my nutritional needs ).

Anyway there pretty bland which I dont mind, but there has to be something that can be added to improve flavor, any suggestions?

If cut into 6 parts these are the macros per bar.

Calories - 346
    Fat - 23
    Sat fat - 2.5
    Carbs - 24
    Fiber - 6
    protein - 12.5

1) 1 cup walnuts and 1 cup almonds
    2) 2 cups oats
    3) 2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites
    4) 1/4 tsp salt
    5) Splenda and cinnamon to flavor

Baking instructions

1) Grind walnuts and almonds in blender to course grain.

2) Mix all ingrediants together in a bowl

3) Splenda or cinniman optional ( recommened really, I mean that too )

4) Spray pam into 8x8 glass pan, and spread mixture evenly

5) Bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

6) Enjoy the very bland flavor, but hey thats the price you pay to eat healthy ( I warm them up a little in the microwave it helps ).
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Peanut butter- just enough to get the flavor in without affecting the macros too much. A little bit can go a long way.
    Raisins - the carbs may be a concern, but raisins are delicious and you could make the macros up elsewhere in your diet.
    Cranberries - same concern as raisins, but cranberries and walnuts taste absolutely delicious.

Smuckers makes a sugar-free caramel sauce that is surprisingly good (and the consistency doesn't suck).

If you wanted to ditch the cinnamon and go in another flavor direction, you could add sugar free chocolate syrup.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Those are some very good ideas ( I thought about the crannberries Ive seen them in some store brand bars before ) I also saw that smuckers makes sugar free jam now too, however I have no idea how well that would bake??

I guess I am going to have to do some trial and error and hope I dont mess up to much lol...
    Success is achieved by doing a little more than you thought you could, and a lot more than anyone else.

Banned
    Great ideas i like your style

Thanks for sharing nice post

Wannabebig Member
    I would scratch the eggs completely. Replace the fat content with butter or coconut oil. Scratch the splenda, even though it does work well in baked recipes, but in my opinion, honey goes with nuts better than sugar or sugar sub (and its actually good for you). Unless you are in ketosis, the glycemic load of such a small amount of sugar will not throw your diet.

I would toss the dry ingredients (oats, walnuts, etc...) in a little olive oil and salt, toast them in the oven at 350. Let them cool, crush them up or chop them (or pulse in food processor if you have one), toss with honey, maybe some unsweetened coconut flake, dark chocolate chunks (or cocao nibs if you're talkin real healthy), dried cranberries, dried cherries, goji berries... Use just enough honey to make all ingredients clump. Spread out mixture, cut into bars or squares, place bars on a roasting rack and put back into cool oven (180-200). Leave for 10-15 minutes, just enough to dry them out some more (bars will have a stronger structure as moisture evaporates from honey). Remove from oven, let bars cool and enjoy.

I am going to try this recipe myself later on today. I'll post a follow up.