The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,949

    Need advice from those that have competed

    I plan to step on stage for the first time this spring/summer. If I'm already sub 10% bf, roughly how long should I give myself to prep. for a show since this is my first time?

    Also, when it comes to something like Nationals, do you have to place at a certain show in order to qualify? Not saying I'm gonna win anything when I do compete but I'd like to at least give myself the chance to go further if I happen to do well.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member David Trantham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    LEXINGTON,NC
    Posts
    192
    if you are sub 10% great!!!!! one thing that u must realize you still need to lose 10-12lbs at least. fat does not go away fast! you must take your time and lose approx a lbs or so a week. the object is to keep muscle not lose muscle. one thing if you think you are 10% with out actually know youy probably are not 10%. i have been bodybuilding for over 12 years, try to get some professional help, its what did years ago. do it the right way and you will learn what to do correctly,which in return will help you down the road . as far as qualifying for national with the npc , yes you have to place so high in a local show which is a national qualifier show. ggod luck!!!!!!!
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

    TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

    ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

  4. #3
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Are you talking NPC? I believe different shows give different amount of national qualifications. Some the class winner qualifies. Some of the bigger shows more than jsut the class winner qualifer. Not all shows are qualifiers. I would look at your local shows and check with the promoters.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  5. #4
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by David Trantham View Post
    if you are sub 10% great!!!!! one thing that u must realize you still need to lose 10-12lbs at least. fat does not go away fast! you must take your time and lose approx a lbs or so a week. the object is to keep muscle not lose muscle. one thing if you think you are 10% with out actually know youy probably are not 10%. i have been bodybuilding for over 12 years, try to get some professional help, its what did years ago. do it the right way and you will learn what to do correctly,which in return will help you down the road . as far as qualifying for national with the npc , yes you have to place so high in a local show which is a national qualifier show. ggod luck!!!!!!!
    Yeah I already figured I had another 10 pounds or so to lose before I'm in contest condition.

    I'm leaner than what I was originally aiming for from this cut and I don't see the point in getting down much lower if I'm not going to be competing for a few months yet. I kinda wanted to take a few weeks and put a little mass back on and was wondering how long I should give myself before a show if I was around 10% bf.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  6. #5
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    David is right when it comes to competeing you really need a coach, especially in the beginning. You can be your own worst enemy when it closer to the show because a lot of competitors are not objective when it comes to themselves.

    Also don't put a number on anything go by the mirror more than anything else. Your goal is to be as conditioned as possible while retaining as much muscle as possible. When you said you want to take a few weeks to put some mass on honestly that won't happen in a few weeks. Putting quality size on takes time and won't happen in a few weeks. Reemeber the scale doesn't tell you if its water, fat, or muscle its weighing.

    To qualify for nationals you have to place top 2 in the open class in a qualifying event, not all contests are national qualifiers. Also be realistic to, just because you may qualify doesn't mean you are ready to step up to that level. Its a world apart from regional contests!

  7. #6
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post
    ]
    To qualify for nationals you have to place top 2 in the open class in a qualifying event, not all contests are national qualifiers. Also be realistic to, just because you may qualify doesn't mean you are ready to step up to that level. Its a world apart from regional contests!
    And very few people should jump into a regional for their first show. The step up from local to regional is huge. Some of the top regional shows have a ton of top talent.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  8. #7
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,949
    I appreciate the input guys but you still haven't answered my original question. I cannot afford to pay a coach. I know a couple guys that have competed and I'm gonna have them help me out when I get closer.

    Acress I respect your opinion but I disagree, I know I can put on at least a couple pounds of quality mass if I take a break from dieting for a month or two. I'm also a powerlifter and I don't see the point in dieting down to 4 - 5% bf unless I'm gonna be on stage.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

  9. #8
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    16 weeks.

  10. #9
    Getting There... Irish Pilot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    779
    Best of luck in your goals man! Keep us posted!
    - Slave & Master At The Same Damn Time -
    Hoping To Compete Natty Early 2011

  11. #10
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Invain View Post
    I appreciate the input guys but you still haven't answered my original question. I cannot afford to pay a coach. I know a couple guys that have competed and I'm gonna have them help me out when I get closer.

    Acress I respect your opinion but I disagree, I know I can put on at least a couple pounds of quality mass if I take a break from dieting for a month or two. I'm also a powerlifter and I don't see the point in dieting down to 4 - 5% bf unless I'm gonna be on stage.
    Unless you are a complete beginner and natural you will not put on a couple lbs of solid muscle in a few weeks, now 2 months is different as you orginally stated a few weeks, big difference. If you are an intermediate to advanced lifter you may average 5-10lbs of solid muscle a year depending on your genetics.

    I never said you needed to diet down to 4-5% by any means. Unless you have great genetics walking around at that bodyfat is not sustainable or healthy. People have a lot higher bodyfat than they think.

    The number of weeks before a contest just depends on your current condition, but always allow youself plenty of time as you want to diet down slowly to retain muscle. I have clients who do it in 10 weeks and some national level ones who take 16-20 weeks.

  12. #11
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    And very few people should jump into a regional for their first show. The step up from local to regional is huge. Some of the top regional shows have a ton of top talent.
    True, you should always start with local shows, but with any contest you never know who will show up. I've seen national level guys use local shows as warm-up contests, which I think is wrong.

  13. #12
    Senior Member Invain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,949
    Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post
    Unless you are a complete beginner and natural you will not put on a couple lbs of solid muscle in a few weeks, now 2 months is different as you orginally stated a few weeks, big difference. If you are an intermediate to advanced lifter you may average 5-10lbs of solid muscle a year depending on your genetics.

    I never said you needed to diet down to 4-5% by any means. Unless you have great genetics walking around at that bodyfat is not sustainable or healthy. People have a lot higher bodyfat than they think.

    The number of weeks before a contest just depends on your current condition, but always allow youself plenty of time as you want to diet down slowly to retain muscle. I have clients who do it in 10 weeks and some national level ones who take 16-20 weeks.
    Thanks again for the input. I'm far from a beginner, although I am still natural, for now. I guess I'll have to just pick out a show and see what I look like 15 - 20 weeks out.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

Similar Threads

  1. Is this advice good or bad? (Several situations)
    By John04Civic in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
  2. Best Personal Advice
    By Nik00117 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 04:50 PM
  3. Some advice please
    By marknolike in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2006, 02:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •