The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Weighted crunches - can't add any weight

I am unable to add weight to these as it's two hard to hold three 10kg (22lb) plates, and I can't perform a crunch using 20kg (44lb) plates. So I'm stuck with two 10kg (22lb) plates, which I have to do 3 sets of like 30 reps. I want to try doing lower reps like say 3x10, but I can't up the weight. Anyone else had this problem and found a solution?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you have access to dumbbells, use those. You can also hold the weight behind your head to make it a lot harder.

Wannabebig Member
    I use dumbbells for crunches as they are easier to hold onto. Hope that helps any.

15kg plates?
    Last edited by tom183; 01-03-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Get a sit up bench, doing them on a decline should make it harder.

Use EZ-Curl bars (or the shorter straight bars) with the desired weight and hold it Zercher style while doing the crunch.

Thanks I will try dumbells

Quote Originally Posted by Editors009 View Post
    Shoulder problems including pain, are one of the more common reasons for physician visits for musculoskeletal symptoms. The shoulder is the most movable joint in the body. However, it is an unstable joint because of the range of motion allowed. It is easily subject to injury because the ball of the upper arm is larger than the shoulder socket that holds it. To remain stable, the shoulder must be anchored by its muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Some shoulder problems arise from the disruption of these soft tissues as a result of injury or from overuse or underuse of the shoulder. Other problems arise from a degenerative process in which tissues break down and no longer function well.
    Go away.
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Try holding a plate behind your head. You'll find it much harder than holding the weight on your chest.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by Editors009 View Post
    Shoulder problems including pain, are one of the more common reasons for physician visits for musculoskeletal symptoms. The shoulder is the most movable joint in the body. However, it is an unstable joint because of the range of motion allowed. It is easily subject to injury because the ball of the upper arm is larger than the shoulder socket that holds it. To remain stable, the shoulder must be anchored by its muscles, tendons, and ligaments. Some shoulder problems arise from the disruption of these soft tissues as a result of injury or from overuse or underuse of the shoulder. Other problems arise from a degenerative process in which tissues break down and no longer function well.
    What are you typing about?
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

yeah holding the plate behind the head is the best way imo, when youre holding it in front of you its kinda subjective you can raise or lower it to make it easier.

Im having a brain fart but why is it harder behind your head?

Quote Originally Posted by Rugg View Post
    Use EZ-Curl bars (or the shorter straight bars) with the desired weight and hold it Zercher style while doing the crunch.
    +1 from me.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    Im having a brain fart but why is it harder behind your head?
    Leverage.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Leverage.
    i get its leverage but seeing as the weight gets further away and travels a longer distance when its by your head shouldnt it be easier? Like if you have a see saw move the weight towards the middle and it gets harder to lift, move it towards the edge and its a lot easier.

i get its leverage but seeing as the weight gets further away and travels a longer distance when its by your head shouldnt it be easier? Like if you have a see saw move the weight towards the middle and it gets harder to lift, move it towards the edge and its a lot easier.

Catch a bigger fish, is it easier to pull in?
    Last edited by Clover; 01-10-2010 at 09:05 AM.

I think you have that backwards. The next time you do weighted crunches, place the weights on your hips and see how much resistance you get.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

yeah i did, dyslexia or something. I guess i was thinking of it like this, if youre trying to loosen a lug nut or something its easier when you have a longer handle you can use less force over a longer distance which i was translating to the crunches. But i translated it wrong, a lesser weight farther up the line can exert as much force as a heavier weight closer to the fulcrum (its the fulcrum right?)
    Last edited by Skalami; 01-11-2010 at 12:06 PM.