Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Article: Complexes for Fat Loss (and win AtLarge Nutrition Fat Burners)

Wannabebig Member Get A Grip PT's Avatar
    Just don't go too light either, especially with the BB and DB complexes, as even with the little amount of rest you get, you'll only be achieveing a 'pump', rather than 'fun cardio'.

Great article though and I'll def give these particular complexes a go.
    CROM!

Shut up and Lift
    For best weight loss results would you guys recommend Complexes or HIIT or a combination of both?
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by xcornontherobx View Post
    For best weight loss results would you guys recommend Complexes or HIIT or a combination of both?
    I'd use a combo for your sanity... But it really depends on your routine.

Where in Rochester are you?
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I never recommend anything for "weight loss", it should only be a side affect of "fat reduction".

I think it is a matter of preference. Both will get the job done. You could do one day of complexes and another day of HIIT. One of the things I really like about complexes is the versatility they provide.

They can be used as a cardio day.
    They can be cardio after a workout.
    They could be a persons whole workout depending on goals.

Shut up and Lift
    KoSH- Henrietta: RIT more specifically, and no Im not a typical RIT kid . DMedley I agree, of course thats what I meant . I think ill do what you and Kosh have advised and do both. SS packed on the pounds this year! Thanks
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

Aspiring Arnold
    This looks like what i have been looking for. Some serious cardio along with my weight lifting. I'm gonna start right away.

KoSH- Henrietta: RIT more specifically, and no Im not a typical RIT kid . DMedley I agree, of course thats what I meant . I think ill do what you and Kosh have advised and do both. SS packed on the pounds this year! Thanks
    Damn RITers... I'm in Greece.
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

How much rest should be used between sets of the same exercise?

Set the mood right
    I did them today, and you were totally right Daniel, after the BB circuits, I was done for, haha.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

Shut up and Lift
    Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    Damn RITers... I'm in Greece.
    Damn Greece'ers. Must be awesome there in the summer being like 15 minutes from the lake :/ You go to school out there?
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    How much rest should be used between sets of the same exercise?
    I assume you mean how much rest between a full complex?

It's really up to you. 3-5 mins?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? Ė My Training Journal

Damn Greece'ers. Must be awesome there in the summer being like 15 minutes from the lake :/ You go to school out there?
    Nah... I'm 25 years old. And actually I'm pretty much on the lake
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I assume you mean how much rest between a full complex?

It's really up to you. 3-5 mins?
    Well the article states :

3 sets of 8 reps with no rest between exercises.
    Rest for 90 seconds after you complete the full circuit, then perform two more times.

I mean how much rest between each exercise's set? This isn't supposed to be treated as 1x24?

still not sure I understand you lol.. What exactly do you mean by each each exercise's set?

If you mean after you have done the exercises back to back for 1 complex set it would be 90 secs as described in the article.

I just threw in my 3-5 mins for what I do, damn I need to hurry up lol

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrink View Post
    Well the article states :

3 sets of 8 reps with no rest between exercises.
    Rest for 90 seconds after you complete the full circuit, then perform two more times.

I mean how much rest between each exercise's set? This isn't supposed to be treated as 1x24?
    You do each of the reps for each exercise without putting the BB down.

So If I had a complex that was prescribed to be 3 sets of 8 reps that consisted of:

RDL
    Overhead Squat
    Military Press
    BB Row
    Good Morning

I would do RDLs for 8, go immediately to the Overhead with no break and do 8 reps, immediately to military for 8 reps and no rest, immediately to BB row for 8 reps and no rest, immediately to good morning for 8 reps...

NOW I set the Barbell down and rest for 60-90 seconds.

That was one set.
    Last edited by KoSh; 01-15-2010 at 06:31 AM.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

well explained

You do each of the reps for each exercise without putting the BB down.

So If I had a complex that was prescribed to be 3 sets of 8 reps that consisted of:

RDL
    Overhead Squat
    Military Press
    BB Row
    Good Morning

I would do RDLs for 8, go immediately to the Overhead with no break and do 8 reps, immediately to military for 8 reps and no rest, immediately to BB row for 8 reps and no rest, immediately to good morning for 8 reps...

NOW I set the Barbell down and rest for 60-90 seconds.

That was one set.
    There's another option for doing them too. To use the example I used before:

Quote Originally Posted by VikingWarlord View Post
    6 BB Rows
    6 RDL
    6 C&P
    6 Back Squats
    6 GM
    I'd do (without stopping at all) 1 row, 1 RDL, 1 C&P, 1 Squat, 1 GM and 6 times through that cycle was one set. Repeat for 6 sets and rest 60-90 seconds between.

Looking at it, I guess you'd add a BTN press after the GM in order to get back into position for the rows. For some reason I never counted those...weird.

I digress. I've also done them the way KoSh (and the article) described but didn't quite like that as much. Just didn't feel right and it always seemed that as long as all reps were completed quickly and with intensity, it didn't really matter how they were completed.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I'd do (without stopping at all) 1 row, 1 RDL, 1 C&P, 1 Squat, 1 GM and 6 times through that cycle was one set. Repeat for 6 sets and rest 60-90 seconds between.

Looking at it, I guess you'd add a BTN press after the GM in order to get back into position for the rows. For some reason I never counted those...weird.

I digress. I've also done them the way KoSh (and the article) described but didn't quite like that as much. Just didn't feel right and it always seemed that as long as all reps were completed quickly and with intensity, it didn't really matter how they were completed.
    I've done them both ways as well.

I don't know that I like either way better, though.

I think they're different enough to make your workouts slightly more interesting.
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

I think they're different enough to make your workouts slightly more interesting.
    I have also used both methods. "Javorek" complexes as well as the "Bear Complex".

I felt the Javorek complex was better as a replacement for cardio while working the muscle.

The bear complex was more of a replacement for a workout focused on Muscle endurance and strength.

The obvious reason is the ability to use more weight for the Bear style of complex doing one rep at a time.

i'm an idiot, haha. Makes A LOT of sense now.

I gave a modified version of the BB complex a shot after my session tonight. I don't have round weights, so can't do the rollouts, so I switch the front squats to OH Squats to hit the core. 3 rounds wiped me out. I went light since it was my first time. I hate cardio, so this sounds appealing to me.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Wannabebig New Member
    Keep in mind that when you are choosing your weight you will be basing it on your weakest exercise in the complex. For example, if the push press is your weakest exercise, the weight you use for the entire complex should be one that you can do the prescribed number of reps for that exercise (e.g. for an 8 rep complex, maybe a weight you can handle for 12 reps on the push press). Remember, you are not putting the barbell/dumbells down until you finish the complex; no switching the weights in the middle of the complex.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Keep in mind that when you are choosing your weight you will be basing it on your weakest exercise in the complex. For example, if the push press is your weakest exercise, the weight you use for the entire complex should be one that you can do the prescribed number of reps for that exercise (e.g. for an 8 rep complex, maybe a weight you can handle for 12 reps on the push press). Remember, you are not putting the barbell/dumbells down until you finish the complex; no switching the weights in the middle of the complex.
    I was just about to ask that, thanks.

I've been doing complexes after my workouts. Nothing crazy. Just 75lbs or so. This was today's effort. I'll try to rotate it and repost.

My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Set the mood right
    Good video, and jeez, I think I'd die if I added OHS into it.
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495