Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Article: Complexes for Fat Loss (and win AtLarge Nutrition Fat Burners)

New Article: Complexes for Fat Loss (and win AtLarge Nutrition Fat Burners)

Complexes for Fat Loss by Riley Bestwick

Let's cut the BS and get down to business: traditional cardio just doesn't work that well if your main goal is to lose fat.

If you're sick of doing traditional "cardio" but still need to get ripped, we've got three complex workouts that'll strip the fat off before you can say, "Screw the treadmill!"

Wave goodbye to the soccer moms and skinny-fat guys riding on one of those stupid-looking elliptical machines and get one hell of a workout that actually strips the fat off!

Win AtLarge Nutrition Fat Burners Nitor & Thermocin - We'd love to see some videos of Wannabebig members performing the complexes either in this article or your own complexes.

For those that submit videos, we'll pick a few random winners and hook you up with some Thermocin or Nitor to help you with your fat loss!
    Last edited by Joe Black; 01-11-2010 at 07:51 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Great article.

I've been using complexes for awhile... I'm trying Chris Masons' 30 in 30 routine tonight so I'm going to drop those for the next month, but they are outstanding. I'll continue right back with them as soon as I'm done with the program.

Glad to see more attention being brought to complexes!
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Gonna try these on my off days this week and see how my recovery is with them.

Great timing for an article. I returned from the gym about an hour ago and then found this article.

If you need to lose 15 pounds or more of fat, I’d recommend doing all three complexes, one for each day per week, on the days when you’re not doing your regular program.
    I began using complexes this morning.

I had worked out a plan to do three different complexes during the week on my off days. Today was day 1 of the complexes and it kicked my backside.

Set the mood right
    "If you need to lose 15 pounds or more of fat, I’d recommend doing all three complexes, one for each day per week, on the days when you’re not doing your regular program.

If you want to use complexes to “tighten up” or just to become more athletic, I recommend you pick two or three complexes and perform them after your regular weight training session."

Why would it be better for fat loss to do just one complex per day than to do them all in a row? The first statement as I understand it says one complex per break day of the week so if you had 3 rest days, one should be BB, another DB and last one bw. But the second part seems more challenging, wouldn't that promote more fat loss?
    Summer 2009

Height: 6'0
    Weight: 195

B: 335
    S: 340
    D: 495

Just read the article, very good points in it. Will begin to use complexes again once I get to the weight that I would like to be at.
    Height: 5'11.5"
    Weight: 170 pounds, 3:30 p.m. on 4/13/10

I think the author probably meant that if you have some serious fat to lose, you should do them on off days and really focus on them allowing you to give it your all. Literally treating them as a cardio day.

However if you aren't looking to lose a serious amount of fat, jus tacking a couple onto the end of your weights workouts will be enough to sharpen things up a bit.

At least that's my interpretation of it.

There is no hard and fast rules though. I have done 3 different complexes, each for 3 sets in the same workout before. I wasn't going absolutely balls out so I was able to handle the volume.

I typically train weights 4 times a week (2 x lower, 2 x upper) and 4 cardios a week and I am going to just switch one of my cardios for a complex. Either that or keep 4 cardios and just tack one on the end of my workout, uping my volume a bit.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Set the mood right
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    I think the author probably meant that if you have some serious fat to lose, you should do them on off days and really focus on them allowing you to give it your all. Literally treating them as a cardio day.

However if you aren't looking to lose a serious amount of fat, jus tacking a couple onto the end of your weights workouts will be enough to sharpen things up a bit.

At least that's my interpretation of it.

There is no hard and fast rules though. I have done 3 different complexes, each for 3 sets in the same workout before. I wasn't going absolutely balls out so I was able to handle the volume.

I typically train weights 4 times a week (2 x lower, 2 x upper) and 4 cardios a week and I am going to just switch one of my cardios for a complex. Either that or keep 4 cardios and just tack one on the end of my workout, uping my volume a bit.
    Ah okay, I was just curious if there was a reasoning behind it besides that. That makes sense and haha, I'm at about 12% BF so I guess I'm better off doing them after my work out. I'll try them this week and if it goes well, I'll try to get a recorded session and post it. I assume the weight you use doesn't matter as long as you can do the sets/rep scheme with it comfortably?

I liked the article, I was actually looking for "fun" cardio the other night for two hours (one of my many attempts that usually occur every season to no success LOL) and came up with nothing. Thanks Daniel.
    Summer 2009

The key with the weight is it shuld be tough to move through the complex, but you're not looking to try and hit pr's or anything. Doing 5-6 sets back to back with no rest is tough, so you want to pick your weights accordingly.

Essentially you need to use enough weight to feel shattered at the end of it but keep reasonably good form througout. Starting off light and building up is probably sensible.

excellent article!! i actually did compounds yesterday after my early morning workout, and although i am an athlete i was very out of breath afterwards-- they feel great

Working it out, working it bamazav's Avatar
    Fantastic article. This will be worked into the rotation.... soon!
    Working on getting stronger in body, mind and soul.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Shut up and Lift
    What would you guys recommend a good starting weight would be when starting complexes- 50%? (1 rep max )
    \m/ d-_-b \m/

Wannabebig Member
    awesome, I'm looking for something like this, however, would you guys recommend doing this with the Texas Method? or would it negate my progress with TM?

Banned
    Great article. I will defenetly try this next time i go to the gym. Can someone post a video for the first one? I did not understand the pictures perfectly, and i dont wanna do them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by xcornontherobx View Post
    What would you guys recommend a good starting weight would be when starting complexes- 50%? (1 rep max )
    I was curious on how much weight should be used as well. Especially if I were to do this after a weight lifting session...

Set the mood right
    50% of a 1RM is way too much... think about it. Look at how many exercises, sets, reps, etc, with no solid breaks inbetween.
    Summer 2009

Definately. Starting at 50% of the weight you would normally do for the prescribed reps would be a good start and up it if you find it too easy.

Complexes and circuits are a great way to increase metabolic rate and much more effective than your typical steady state cardio or even intervals. I am actually using 2 complexes and 2 core circuits per week after my weights as I prepare for my contest. Just realize that the type of exercises used in the complex will also dictate where it should be placed in the week and there are many different combos of exercises to use. Good article.

Complexes are awesome. Following the same general protocol, you can create different complexes using different movements. I used one that was 6 sets of

6 BB Rows
    6 RDL
    6 C&P
    6 Back Squats
    6 GM

At the end, I wanted to die.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

This looks like great info and I'm going to try the BB complex today (it's a rest day). My question, and this relates to a lot of the information on here, is how to appropriately integrate this, or anything else, with my lifting.

My situation.... I am doing SS, so lifting 3 days a week. My main goal when I began lifting was to get rid of excess fat (10-15lbs). Now that I've gotten into it (lifting), making strength gains is fun as well. I've gotten a little stronger, can maybe see slight muscle gains, and can maybe see slight fat loss. I've been striving to eat towards this goal, 2000-2500 cal/day (I'm 6'3, 202lbs). My weight has pretty much stayed the same. However, I would love to just drop 8-10lbs over the next 1-2 months so I can be rid of the fat loss mentality for good.

So then, is there anyway to ensure I'll lose fat but still be able to make gains on SS? It seems like right now I'm right in the middle, not losing much fat but not gaining much muscle, sort of spinning my wheels a bit. I could eat less, but I can't even imagine going for less than 2000 cal/day. I could start running more (I already do a little) or do the complexes, but it seems like that could cut into SS gains.
    Last edited by feardaram; 01-12-2010 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by feardaram View Post
    So then, is there anyway to ensure I'll lose fat but still be able to make gains on SS? It seems like right now I'm right in the middle, not losing much fat but not gaining much muscle, sort of spinning my wheels a bit. I could eat less, but I can't even imagine going for less than 2000 cal/day. I could start running more (I already do a little) or do the complexes, but it seems like that could cut into SS gains.
    Cutting calories could slow or stop gains with SS
    Running too much could slow or stop gains with SS
    Doing too many sets of Complexes or doing them too often could slow or stop gains with SS

All things in moderation: Start doing the complexes by doing them twice a week after your workouts or on their own day. Begin by only doing 3 sets and watching how you progress on SS. If progress slows, then cut back to 1 per week. If you still recover well and your progressing on SS increase to 4 sets or add a third day of complexes.

The complexes coupled with SS will be far better for gaining muscle or not losing muscle than running or cutting calories.

I used to sometimes include a barbell complex that I believe Crossfit refers to it as the 'Bear Complex'. It was a power clean, front squat, push press, back squat, BTN jerk, drop, repeat.

For this I would typically use 135-185 lbs and stay in the 3-5 rep range which kept my time under tension between 1-2 minutes.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    Cutting calories could slow or stop gains with SS
    Running too much could slow or stop gains with SS
    Doing too many sets of Complexes or doing them too often could slow or stop gains with SS

All things in moderation: Start doing the complexes by doing them twice a week after your workouts or on their own day. Begin by only doing 3 sets and watching how you progress on SS. If progress slows, then cut back to 1 per week. If you still recover well and your progressing on SS increase to 4 sets or add a third day of complexes.

The complexes coupled with SS will be far better for gaining muscle or not losing muscle than running or cutting calories.
    That makes sense, thanks for the feedback. I'll start with the BB complex today, thinking about starting with 60lbs or so.

Wanttobe Me
    Great article and I am going to give it a try. But how much weight should I use with the dumbbells or the barbells?

This was addressed above.

Starting at 50% of the weight you would normally do for the prescribed reps would be a good start and up it if you find it too easy.
    Last edited by Joe Black; 01-13-2010 at 06:41 AM.