The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

10 weeks out

Here are a few pics I took today. My weight is at 200lbs and I'm leaning out nice and slow.

As for diet, since my energy levels are still high I am going to just do 2200 calories everyday for now instead of staggering 2500-2200.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wannabebig Member

Question

what do you do when you feel a little overtrained

Quote Originally Posted by tornquad2 View Post
    what do you do when you feel a little overtrained
    Thats almost too general of a question. Do you mean while I'm in cointest prep or in general?

Your Front Double Biceps pose looks great. You have very nice sweep to your quads, your lats flare out very well, and your arms compliment everything nicely.

I'm also jealous of your Back Double Biceps pose - your upper back is very thick! I need to work on that a bit more.

Would you say there's 1 or 2 exercises that you incorporate that really works the upper back area well for you? Recently, I've been playing with a lot of different angles on BB Rows and on Hammer Strength Rows. I was thinking Incline DB Rows might be ideal, what would you recommend?
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Wannabebig Member

in contest mode also when doing your shoulder complexes how much weight did you use and what is a side lateral from the floor. ps am tornquad2 from scotts board

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    Would you say there's 1 or 2 exercises that you incorporate that really works the upper back area well for you? Recently, I've been playing with a lot of different angles on BB Rows and on Hammer Strength Rows. I was thinking Incline DB Rows might be ideal, what would you recommend?
    One thing with building a back is proper rowing technique. Make sure on bent BB rows you are parallel to the floor unlike most who raise up to 45 degress. Also keep your elbows in a soft lockout position on the eccentric part of the row so you don't initiate the movement with your brachialis and bicep. Always think about stretching the muscle on the eccentric part of the lift and then pull into a contraction.

As far as exercises there is no 1 or 2 that are best but any form of rows are great along with top end deadlifts for 8-15 reps.

in contest mode also when doing your shoulder complexes how much weight did you use and what is a side lateral from the floor. ps am tornquad2 from scotts board
    As I get closer to the contest my energy levels will drop and so will my strength and I just adjust my intensity accordingly.

I typically use 55-60lb dumbbells. Go to Scott's video library to see proper execution. The link is in my signature.

wow your legs seem to be getting really tight already. Does your lower body normally lean out quicker than your upper body?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Nice wheels man! I weigh 200lbs also but you got me beat in those pics. How tall are you?

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Nice wheels man! I weigh 200lbs also but you got me beat in those pics. How tall are you?
    Thanks. I'm 5'10"

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    wow your legs seem to be getting really tight already. Does your lower body normally lean out quicker than your upper body?
    No not really. My hamstrings and low back are the last things to lean out.

Wannabebig Member
    Acress how do you find doing such high volume whilst in contest prep mode? You seem to do crazy volume.

Do you lower carbs as you get closer?

How much cardio do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    Acress how do you find doing such high volume whilst in contest prep mode? You seem to do crazy volume.

Do you lower carbs as you get closer?

How much cardio do you do?
    I'm use to the high volume. Too many peopel shy away from it because they think they can't progress or grow which isn't true, but you have to increase it from one program to the next. I have built up my workload capacity to be able to handle it.

I lower calories not carbs, my macros usually stay the same throughout. Remember you have to be in a calorie deficit not a carb deficit.

Right now I'm doing 1 day of steady state cardio for 45 min. Its different every prep. It depends on my current program and what my conditioning is like when I start among other variables.

Wannabebig Member

question

what would a shoulder workout look like and if you were feeling wore down and really sore would you take a week off or deload for a few weeks by same workout sets/reps but half the weight

what would a shoulder workout look like and if you were feeling wore down and really sore would you take a week off or deload for a few weeks by same workout sets/reps but half the weight
    Its not that black and white. There are many ways to dial back like training with less intensity, slightly lower volume, etc.... Bio-feedback such as energy levels in the gym and out, joint pain, not being able to focus, lower appetite, etc...will determine if you need a break, but a lot of times people are not very objective when it comes to themselves.

I don't deload per say I just may back off intensity for a week at most then hit it full throttle again and if a program has run its course I take a week sometimes 2 off then start a new program. I typically take a week off every 10-15 weeks depending on how my body is doing with the program I am on. Some programs beat me up quicker than others so I just listen to my own bio-feedback and go from there.

Since changeing my diet to just eating 2200 cal my hunger has finally hit! I am more or less hungry all day, which is good because hunger is a fat burning signal as well, but my energy levels are still good at this point.

Today I hit quads and could barely walk after, but still had to do my Shoulder blast also.

Here are a few Of my exercises for the day:

- Leg extentions 1 Strip Set ( this is basically the highest intensity technique you can use. My one set lasted 5 minutes!)
    - Leg Press 5 x 10-15
    - Squats 3 x 15; Lockout flex hard at top of every rep
    - Horizontal leg press (feet close)
    - Lunges 3 x 15
    - One legged extentions 2 x 20

Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post
    Since changeing my diet to just eating 2200 cal my hunger has finally hit! I am more or less hungry all day, which is good because hunger is a fat burning signal as well, but my energy levels are still good at this point.
    Good deal man, about to get ripped.

My body is really responding well to the 2200 cal diet. Hunger is high and energy levels are steady, which is a good thing at this point. I will take more pics at 7 weeks out next week.

Today I hit Back along with my Power Sequence circuit after:

- Assisted chins 5 x 12-15
    - Bent rows 4 x 8-10
    - Top end Deadlifts 4 x 10-12
    - Close pulldowns 4 x 12-15
    - One arm hammer row 3 x 12-15

Power sequence X 4 sets

Wannabebig Member
    Acress,

Do you use anything to help hunger like diet coke or sugar free jello?

Also are you natural athlete? I can't see how a natural BB in diet mode could handle that much volume?

Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    Acress,

Do you use anything to help hunger like diet coke or sugar free jello?

Also are you natural athlete? I can't see how a natural BB in diet mode could handle that much volume?
    Occassonally I dring diet sodas, but the hunger doesn't bother me because I know why its there and its there for a reason.

It doesn't matter if you are natural or not to handle volume because it ahs to do with your workload capacity. Myself along with most of my clients do this kind of volume naturally. Its all about understanding the the SAID pricciple, ICE principle and overload.

Too many people use steroids as an excuse. Granted they obviously enhance recovery but that does not determine how much voilume I put in ones program. My friend and Natural Pro Kevin Weiss trains with a lot of volume as well and his results speak for themselves. Proper programming, nutrition, and reading the body's feedback is what's important.

Wannabebig Member
    Bro what would a chest workout look like

Bro what would a chest workout look like
    When I write what i'm doing remember its part of a specific program and its not what i do every week as the context of the program is specific and these workouts are not designed to be done every week. Thre is a specific structure I follow week to week taht makes it a program and not just a collection of random exercises.

My last chest day was something like this:

- Seated machine fly 5 x 10-15
    - Flat bar press 4 x 10-12
    - Incline DB press 4 x 10-12
    - Cable crossover 3 x Max
    - Flat DB press 3 x 12-15

Wannabebig Member
    i understand but can you explain how it would change !!! it's taylored to you but why is the whole program complicated

i understand but can you explain how it would change !!! it's taylored to you but why is the whole program complicated
    Its not overly complicated when its layed out in front of you. The sequence of exercises from week to week is one of the keys as well as placing the complexes at the end of ceratin workouts to ensure proper recovery between muscle groups.

Wannabebig Member
    Allen

How comes you don't seem to be doing much cardio in your prep? 99.9% of bodybuilders all seem to do the early morning cardio thing just wondering why your not.
    Is it because you started fairly lean?

Hows is your diet set up now that you've come down to 2200 cals.

I'm interested in your methods as i'm seeing some different ideas in your prep.

most do tons of cardio and eat a low carb diet. Not only do you not have vegtables in your diet i don't see no fat apart from fish oil which is still minimal