The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 160
  1. #76
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    Allen

    How comes you don't seem to be doing much cardio in your prep? 99.9% of bodybuilders all seem to do the early morning cardio thing just wondering why your not.
    Is it because you started fairly lean?

    Hows is your diet set up now that you've come down to 2200 cals.

    I'm interested in your methods as i'm seeing some different ideas in your prep.

    most do tons of cardio and eat a low carb diet. Not only do you not have vegtables in your diet i don't see no fat apart from fish oil which is still minimal
    I am doing cardio just not your traditional steady state. My circuits and complexes at the end of my workouts are my cardio. Most people tend to do hours of cardio out of traditionalism. They think you have to do it to get shredded just like going on a low carb diet. It has its place depending on what your program is like but it should never be done for more than 45 min, 5 days a week MAX!! Early morning cardio is highly overrated in my opinion.

    It comes down to proper programming and proper diet. If you are in a calorie deficit you will lean out carbs don't make you fat too many calories do. In the industry competitors go to extremes whether it with diet or cardio or both most of the time. They think you have to kill yourself to be hardcore and a bodybuilder when in fact going to extremes such as 2 hours of cardio a day 5 days a week and eating nothing but veggies and protein will cause metabolic burnout or even worse metabolic damage due to being in an absolute calorie deficit as opposed to a relative deficit. Then after the contest is over they completely binge for the next few weeks because the diet was so extreme and they rebound 20-40 lbs. Now do you think that is healthy and what this sport should be about? Of course not but most do. This is where a "good coach" is needed.

    Now the other problem is just because someone has won a contest or is huge and shredded people will listen to them because they think he or she knows what they are talking about just because they look the part. With the internet there are soo many so called experts who really have no clue how to properly design a program or diet someone down safely and effectively and I see it at every contest. Of course you will have low energy levels and decreased strength, but there is a difference between starving the fat off and burning it off. There are many other things that are wrong with the industry and I'm just trying to help others not fall into that trap.

    My diet is the same nutrient breakdown as before just less calories, its a carb based diet so my fat is low. Here is my typical day of eating:

    1) 2 cups egg whites & 2 shredded wheat biscuits mixed together and topped with Zero cal syrup by walden farms

    2) 165g Chicken, 200g potato

    3) 2 cans tuna, 4 white cheddar rice cakes

    4) 165g Chicken or Ostrich, 200g potato

    5) 165g Chicken, 150g potato or 4 rice cakes

    6) 2 cups egg whites

  2. #77
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Destroyed Chest today and was left in some huge oxygen debt after my Ab/Core circuit. I'm not really losing weight but I am definitley getting leaner each week. My weight has been steady at 198lbs for a couple weeks. I am currently 8 weeks out and this time last year in prep I was weighing 192lbs.

  3. #78
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Destroyed Chest today and was left in some huge oxygen debt after my Ab/Core circuit. I'm not really losing weight but I am definitley getting leaner each week. My weight has been steady at 198lbs for a couple weeks. I am currently 8 weeks out and this time last year in prep I was weighing 192lbs.
    Sounds like the prep is going really well. Do you normally use carbs for energy instead of fats during a prep? What are your thoughts on Keto diets?
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  4. #79
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    I always use carb based diet in my prep.

    As far as Keto diets go I am not a big fan of them. Thats not to say I don't use fat based diets with clients, but I always place at least one carb based day in the week to allow for glycogen replenishmnet because it is vital for certain functions in the body.

  5. #80
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    Thanks Allen. Everyone has different sensitivity to carbs, so there is certainly no one right way to cut. Some people love keto and do well on it, some can't stand it. I definitely agree that refeeds are necessary during low/no carb diets.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  6. #81
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Thanks Allen. Everyone has different sensitivity to carbs, so there is certainly no one right way to cut. Some people love keto and do well on it, some can't stand it. I definitely agree that refeeds are necessary during low/no carb diets.
    Absolutely everyone has different needs when it comes to dieting down, but one thing about carb sensitivity is some people who are not actually carb sensitive believe they are because they use a low carb approach and when they increase their carb intake they obviously gain weight due to water retention and they think they are gaining fat. You have to give the body a chance to adjust which isn't going to happen in a week and gradually increase carbs overtime. But it is still individual.

    Re-feeds are a must when doing fat based diets for optimum function and performance. In the off season I have done both a carb and fat based diet and my body works well of both, I just prefer carb based diets.

  7. #82
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Today I hit Quads and my shoulder girdle Blast. I'm down 2 lbs this week weighing in at 196 lbs. Energy levels are still good, hunger is high, and strength levels are normal. I can see more detail in my upper back and I have definitely brought up my weak point, my hams. Still not where I want them but it takes time.

    Here is my workout for today:

    - Squats 4 x 20, 15, 15, 12 reps
    - Leg press (feet high and close) 4 x 10-12
    - Alt. Lunges 3 x 12 EL
    - Leg ext. 5 x 12-15
    - Abductor/Adductor 3 x 15-20
    - Horizontal leg press 2 x 20-25

    Shoulder Blast

  8. #83
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156

    7 weeks out

    Here are some pics I took today. I have been dieting for 7 weeks now and am currently 7 weeks out. I am weighing 195 lbs and have lost a total of 13 lbs. I have definitley tightened up all over compared to my last set of pics take a few weeks ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #84
    Senior Member cphafner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    The Big Apple
    Posts
    7,701
    wow looking great
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

    I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

    "you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

    "Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

    From A Body Builder is Born

    i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

  10. #85
    Senior Member Shemz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    171
    Looking great already! I was wondering though; are your traps a bit behind or is it just me and the angle of the pictures?

    EDIT; What i was also wondering was, do you have the intention of going up in weight class in the future or?
    Last edited by Shemz; 02-26-2010 at 01:17 AM.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

  11. #86
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Looking great already! I was wondering though; are your traps a bit behind or is it just me and the angle of the pictures?

    EDIT; What i was also wondering was, do you have the intention of going up in weight class in the future or?
    My upper traps are not my best bodypart by any means but I've developed them tremendously from where they were, and its mainly the upper portion of my traps that are not my strong suit, but the middle to lower portion are my strong points. The reason they aren't as developed is because I have narrow clavicles.

    Thats what a lot of people need to realize in that you can only develope the best body you have within your genetics and most tend to compare themselves to others wanting to look like them which is not a good idea and theses trainers out there promising such things make it worse on the individual.

    I doubt I will move past the Light-heavyweight class as I am 33 and I currenlty compete around 185 and the top of the class is 198 lbs.

  12. #87
    Senior Member ELmx479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,746
    Those are some impressive pics man. What would you say your bf % is at currently?

  13. #88
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Those are some impressive pics man. What would you say your bf % is at currently?
    I have no clue. I never take my bodyfat, I just go by the mirror. Everyone looks different at different levels of bodyfat. The mirror doesn't lie when it comes to telling you how lean you are.

  14. #89
    Moderator Off Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    13,884
    I can see some definite improvements over your old pics, shoulders and triceps mostly. It will be interesting to compare when you are at contest weight.
    _________
    ______
    ___

    Off Road Journal

    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

  15. #90
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    8

    question

    whats your split and how do you put in complexes into the workout

  16. #91
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by tornquad2 View Post
    whats your split and how do you put in complexes into the workout
    I can't lay out exactly what my program is and give the farm away.

    My bodypart split is:

    1) Chest
    2) Arms
    3) Quads
    4) Back
    5) Shoulders
    6) Hamstrings

    When placing complexes in a program look at what your training and take recovery into account by giving enough time bewteen the major muscles being worked.

    Like if I did a Quad Blast it would be at least 2 or more days after I trained Quads.

  17. #92
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    7 weeks out you look great dude , Your workout looks a killer has there been any changes to your diet or cardio? I wondered if when you closer to the show whether you would add more normal cardio and remove the complexes to recover more?

    In the refeed thread i noticed you said sometimes they are used in prep. Do you think you may get one in the next 7weeks?

    Mark

  18. #93
    Senior Member Shemz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    My upper traps are not my best bodypart by any means but I've developed them tremendously from where they were, and its mainly the upper portion of my traps that are not my strong suit, but the middle to lower portion are my strong points. The reason they aren't as developed is because I have narrow clavicles.

    Thats what a lot of people need to realize in that you can only develope the best body you have within your genetics and most tend to compare themselves to others wanting to look like them which is not a good idea and theses trainers out there promising such things make it worse on the individual.

    I doubt I will move past the Light-heavyweight class as I am 33 and I currenlty compete around 185 and the top of the class is 198 lbs.
    Yeah, i didn't mean it in a bad way or anything and i don't really know what your traps looked like before so it's all good!
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

  19. #94
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    7 weeks out you look great dude , Your workout looks a killer has there been any changes to your diet or cardio? I wondered if when you closer to the show whether you would add more normal cardio and remove the complexes to recover more?

    In the refeed thread i noticed you said sometimes they are used in prep. Do you think you may get one in the next 7weeks?

    Mark
    This was my last week doing the complexes due to my bio-feedback, but I'm still doing my Ab/core circuits twice per week. I haven't added any regular cardio as of yet because I'm still making progress and hopefully won't need to, but as contest gets closer I will add it in if absolutely needed.

    Diet has been the same for past 3 weeks and don't look to change it anytime soon, but I'll reassess each week. No clue if I will get a spike day at this point and not concerned about it. If its needed I will take it but its a week to week assessment.

  20. #95
    Senior Member ELmx479's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,746
    You amaze the hell out of me how you can read your body so well. I find your entire prep interesting and helpful. I ask about your bf % just to get an idea because you look huge compared to me at the same height / weight. I agree about the mirror, it never lies.

  21. #96
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    You amaze the hell out of me how you can read your body so well. I find your entire prep interesting and helpful. I ask about your bf % just to get an idea because you look huge compared to me at the same height / weight. I agree about the mirror, it never lies.
    Reading bio-feedback is a much more effective way to determine what an individual needs to do next, especially when it comes to contest prep. Thats what is missing with a lot of bodybuilding coaches, they always palce a time line on when to do certain things during prep like when to reduce calories, add cardio, etc... You never know or can predict how an individual is going to adapt or react to certain stimuli so telling them when something specific needs to happen before they get there is ridiculous.

    Reading bio-feedback is a learned process and reading your own is much harder than reading someone elses.

  22. #97
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    This was my last week doing the complexes due to my bio-feedback, but I'm still doing my Ab/core circuits twice per week. I haven't added any regular cardio as of yet because I'm still making progress and hopefully won't need to, but as contest gets closer I will add it in if absolutely needed.

    Diet has been the same for past 3 weeks and don't look to change it anytime soon, but I'll reassess each week. No clue if I will get a spike day at this point and not concerned about it. If its needed I will take it but its a week to week assessment.
    Thanks for the reply.

    What was your bio feedback then to drop the complexes? lack of energy etc?

    Also as your 7 weeks out now, and the complexes have been dropped will you do no more cardio other than the abs/core you mention and the one SS cardio session?

    Could you give an example of your abs/core workout? How long do they last

    thanks

    Mark

  23. #98
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    What was your bio feedback then to drop the complexes? lack of energy etc?

    Also as your 7 weeks out now, and the complexes have been dropped will you do no more cardio other than the abs/core you mention and the one SS cardio session?

    Could you give an example of your abs/core workout? How long do they last

    thanks

    Mark
    Decreased intensity, lowered energy levels, and a few more things. But its not just because I felt this way for one or 2 days is an overall effect.

    For now no more traditional cardio as I will see how my body reacts in this calorie deficit, but that will be determined from week to week. I will likely add in a Glute emphasis circuit this week.

    My ab/core circuits last around 30-35 min doing 4 rounds.

  24. #99
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    20
    Excellent thanks.

    The most interesting journal i've read on here so far

    Can't wait to see the end product i'm so interested in your methods. A little against the grain and I like the sound of it.

    Do you use any sauce on your food during prep IE: lowfat mayo on the tuna, mustard on the meats etc or is all that off limits?

  25. #100
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    Excellent thanks.

    The most interesting journal i've read on here so far

    Can't wait to see the end product i'm so interested in your methods. A little against the grain and I like the sound of it.

    Do you use any sauce on your food during prep IE: lowfat mayo on the tuna, mustard on the meats etc or is all that off limits?
    I use sea salt, all Ms. dash seasonings, mustard, spicy mustard, hot sauce, ketchup, Walden Farms pancake syrup. Only sugar based condiments are off limits. Even though this is a contest diet it still nedds to be sustainable and eating everything plain would not be.

Similar Threads

  1. Savvy's Contest Prep-12 weeks
    By Savannah in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 11:21 AM
  2. Help for contest prep !!!
    By Thorus in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 01:03 PM
  3. 3 months prep for contest..
    By beastin v6 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2002, 06:37 PM
  4. Contest Prep
    By Orange357 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2001, 04:11 PM
  5. Cutting
    By heathj in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2001, 06:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •