Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Contest prep 2010!

6 weeks out

Everything for prep couldn't be going any better at this point. I lost 3 lbs last week and am down another 3.5lbs this week. The fat is just melting off at this point and I'm only doing 1 day of steady state cardio. This shows that hours of cardio is not needed if the training protocol and diet are tailored to the individual and used to burn off fat and not starve it off like a lot of competitiors do.

I am weighing in at 192lbs. Diet is still the same as before and energy levels are fluctuating a bit from low to moderate during the week.

I'm off top the Arnold Classic tomorrow which should be a blast. I have all my food cooked and ready to go.

Are you going to be at a booth, or just walking around?

I agree with the others, your explanations are interesting and unique (I'm always a fan of unique and those that don't always follow the newest trend.)

I was thinking of entering into this contest, after I had to change my choice of contest. Evansville is to far away, as I'm in Cincinnati and I don't feel like dragging the family and checking into a hotel. It would have been nice to enter a contest with a fellow WBBer.

How was the competition last year between the weightclasses? More specifically Middle and Light-Heavy. If I recall you placed 1st or 2nd in your weightclass? Is this contest a rather popular one, and does it host some solid competitors?
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Quote Originally Posted by ELmx479 View Post
    Are you going to be at a booth, or just walking around?
    I'll just be a spectator this year walking around.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 03-05-2010 at 06:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I agree with the others, your explanations are interesting and unique (I'm always a fan of unique and those that don't always follow the newest trend.)

I was thinking of entering into this contest, after I had to change my choice of contest. Evansville is to far away, as I'm in Cincinnati and I don't feel like dragging the family and checking into a hotel. It would have been nice to enter a contest with a fellow WBBer.

How was the competition last year between the weightclasses? More specifically Middle and Light-Heavy. If I recall you placed 1st or 2nd in your weightclass? Is this contest a rather popular one, and does it host some solid competitors?
    I placed 2nd last year. The contest was pretty solid and the competitors in the light-heavy were competitive and the middle weight was in novice but not so much in the open division. It has really grown in popularity and they had to move to a bigger venue this year.

5 weeks out

The last 3 weeks my fat has been just melting off. I have lost 6 lbs in last 2 weeks and am very pleased with my condition at this point. I am still on smae calories i have been on the past 6 weeks. Basically once my body realized there was no extra calories in it started burning off fat like crazy.

Due to my bio-feedback this Saturday i will take a Re-feed day and will probably put away about 12-15000 calories easy. I"ll post my meals when I'm done. Here are some pics from today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is what i had on my Re-feed day:

Here's what I had saturday:

Meal 1:
    -3 cheese turkey & spinach omelete
    -5 eggs over medium
    -large order potatoes
    -4 sausage links and 4 slices bacon
    -4 pieces toast with peanut butter
    -1 can of chocolate covered cashews

Meal 2:
    -large salad with ranch, bacon, & tomato
    -1 loaf of bread with tons of garlic butter
    -Roasted chicken nachos
    -quarter pound mushroom swiss burger
    -Large steak fries
    - half pint of black rasberry chip ice cream

Meal 3:
    -5 rolls of sushi
    - half of a pineapple
    - half bag mini rice cakes dipped in peanut butter

Meal 4:
    -1 loaf rye bread with lots of butter
    -Coconut shrimp
    -Cheese fries with ranch
    -Ravioli with chicken

Meal 5:
    -Double quarter pound cheese burger
    -crispy chicken club sandwich
    -large fries
    -1 pint of ice cream with peanut butter mixed in

I gained 18 lbs from this!

Nice pics man, looking really lean. How in the hell can you eat that much food without getting sick?? An entire loaf of bread at 1 sitting?? Now, will you just go right back to your original diet tomorrow?

Nice pics man, looking really lean. How in the hell can you eat that much food without getting sick?? An entire loaf of bread at 1 sitting?? Now, will you just go right back to your original diet tomorrow?
    If you are in a deep supercompensation state then you can eat large quatities of food without getting full.

Yes, I went right back to my diet. I will more than likely drop 1-3 pounds this week due to the effect of the re-feed.

looking great. That MM is down right sick.

I've been watching a ton of Scott Abel's videos on youtube. Such awesome knowledge in there.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

4 weeks out

So after my re-feed day of roughly 16,000 calories and an 18lb weight gain last saturday I stepped on the scale this morning and as predicted i was down 2lbs from my pre-cheat weight. So I gained 18lbs and lost 20lbs. My metabolic rate is jacked from the re-feed and the day after I cheated I looked like I could step on stage, My muscles were full, vasular, and skin was tight and waqsn't holding any water til late in the day.

After next week I will cut out my steady state cardio. Calories will definitely not change until I load for the contest the week of. Weight is at 188lbs.

The refeeds are an interesting notion. The few times I've cut, I've always been so afraid to eat not clean. If I stalled I dropped the cals or increased the cardio. I've done refeeds using only carbs/protein before, but never incorporated fats.
    My Journal

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    wow awesome refeed. I would be afraid to eat like that while dieting. also, looking really lean

The thing with re-feeds is they need to only be used if needed, but when used at the right time they will enhance fat loss not hurt it. It has nothing to do with fats, protien or carbs specifically its about spiking your calorie intake to jack up your metabolic rate so anything goes.

I use this succesfully with all clients especially competitors. I just hads a figure athlete compete placing 3rd and she had 3 cheat days during an 11 week prep and she did no cardio. Obviously its all individual but it is exteremely effective if you know how to read an individuals bio-feedback.

I will more than likely get 1 more re-feed day at 3 weeks out, but that would definitely be the last before the contest. I've had a smany as 4 re-feed days during a prep and as little as 1. Its different everytime. Thats why there is no one size fits all protocol.

Banned
    how do you know when you're due a refeed? do you deplete or are you in ketosis in days leading up to your refeed? i want to do one next saturday but there is very little concrete info on them because its so varied due to individual intricacies of each person's body.

With all the bodybuilding routines floating around the net I am curious as to what you would recommend to the average novice lifter?

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    how do you know when you're due a refeed? do you deplete or are you in ketosis in days leading up to your refeed? i want to do one next saturday but there is very little concrete info on them because its so varied due to individual intricacies of each person's body.
    There are different factors depending on the individual. Things like energy levels in and out of the gym, concentration levels, hunger, etc.....

No you don't deplete purposely and I'm not by any means in ketosis I have 200 grams of carbs a day. I don't ever know exactly when I'm going to have a re-feed day its assessed week to week during prep. My body is depeleted due to being in a calorie deficit for a prolonged period of time not due to lack of one specific nutrient. This is why re-feeds really need to be assessd by an expert. They are not there just to cheat.

With all the bodybuilding routines floating around the net I am curious as to what you would recommend to the average novice lifter?
    I design all my programs to fit an individual and I don't use a one size fits all program just because someone is a novice. I assess them and take into account an individuals current needs state and design the program to fit the person.

It depends on what you have been doing, what your goals are, what your background is, your body's leverages (long arms, short torso, etc..) among other things. So there really is no black and white answer just priciples to follow and aqdjust accordingly.

Wannabebig Member
    How much SS cardio are you doing at ths point then? I thought you said you stopped?

Quote Originally Posted by Mclovin1 View Post
    How much SS cardio are you doing at ths point then? I thought you said you stopped?
    I was doing 1 day of 30 min

Tremendous journal, I'm sorry I've missed most of the prep until now. So much can be learned from you veteran competitors
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Thanks for the info on refeeds. I've decided Scott Abel is twisted. I tried his core blast after my workout today and I dying. He was right that it was wicked hard.
    My Journal

3 weeks out

This week has been my lowest energy week by far. I have dialed back intensity in the gym and am really listening to my body at this point. Since last Saturday I have lost 5 more lbs and am weighing in at 183.8lbs. I am in my best condition yet. One note on my weight loss, I haven't changed my diet for almost 6 weeks now and I've had a re-feed day in there. So to competitors and anyone trying to lean out give a diet time and let it do its job and don't be soo quick to reduce calories because 1 week you didn't lose a pound.

I will have one last Re-feed day this weekend and that should take me to point for the contest. I iwll look to put away more than my 16,000 calories I did on my last re-feed 2 weeks ago and I have no doubt I will be able to because is soo depeleted.

The last Re-feed day!!

I gained 15 lbs on this one. A little less than 3 weeks to go.

Meal 1
    - Turkey & Cheese omelet
    - Hash browns
    - 8 eggs over medium
    - 5 sausage links
    - 8 slices bacon
    - 2 biscuits with peanut butter
    - 3 pieces toast with peanut butter
    - 1 can chocolate coverd cashews & almonds

Meal 2
    - Roasted chicken nachos
    - loaf bread with garlic butter
    - large salad with tons ranch, cheese, bacon, eggs
    - 1/2 lb Mushroom swiss burger
    - large fries
    - Large dessert consisting of: Black cherry and chocolate chip ice cream, angel food cake, oreo crust, whip cream, pecans

Meal 3
    - 3 home made burritos
    - chips and queso
    - 1 candy bar
    - small box chcolate covered almonds

Meal 4
    - Roast beef with gravy
    - Country green beans
    - Mashed potatoes and gravy
    - 4 corn bread muffins with butter
    - bag chocolate and peanut butter dipped pretzels

Meal 5
    - 2 large roast beef sandwiches
    - chicken tenders
    - large curly fries
    - Pint of ice cream
    - 1 bag of chocolate covered pretzels

I looked up my breakfast and it was a little over 5000 calories in it, good stuff!!

2 Weeks Out

At this point I am basically ready for the contest. Next week I will reduce my working sets and do some lower rep work for a few exercises each day.

All complexes are stopped as well. I will start tweaking things the final week to peak for the contest. My weight is currently at 184 lbs so I will be right in the middle of the Light-heavyweight class.