The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 151 to 160 of 160
  1. #151
    Senior Member Shemz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    171
    Great result really! No shame in being 3th there! I've probably asked this before (and i forgot), but how many more years do you plan on competing?

    Another thing i was wondering about is, who is your "idol", what bodybuilder(s) of the past or this moment right now do you find inspirational? I mean, are you impressed by the physique of a Phil Heath or can someone like Serge Nubret inspire you more?
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

  2. #152
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    great job allen. youre def right though, your class winner is immense.

  3. #153
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    Great result really! No shame in being 3th there! I've probably asked this before (and i forgot), but how many more years do you plan on competing?

    Another thing i was wondering about is, who is your "idol", what bodybuilder(s) of the past or this moment right now do you find inspirational? I mean, are you impressed by the physique of a Phil Heath or can someone like Serge Nubret inspire you more?
    I plan on competing as long as I have fun doing it. Honestly my best years are still ahead of me and I look to compete into my late 50s. I love the sport and coaching my clients as well so i will always be involved regardless.

    As far as physiques I like old school ones such as Frank Zane and Arnold of course and today I like Flex lewis and Phil heath. I like the more asthetic physique with small waist and not blocky look. That being said I have never met a more down to earth nice guy who represents the sport in a positive manner more than Jay Cutler.

  4. #154
    Continuing... Time+Patience's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    They said I just needed some more overall size and to tighten and work on my glute/ham area, which I aready knew was a weak point and has improved but needs more work.

    Now its time to take a small break and relax then work my butt off this off season to continue to improve.
    I think a lot of competitors need to work on that specific area, but you know when someone is in shape as soon as they turn to the rear and the hams and gluts are put on display.

    I guess you'll literally be working your butt off huh? The jump from 179 to 190 is tremendous, another 5 pounds will have you doing even better.

    By looking at pictures that you've posted a few pages prior in this thread it appears that you were more conditioned then compared to this most recent contest-- I assume the previous pictures were from the last Indiana contest? Do you believe you could have came in any tighter or was this your best?

    It must have been very encouraging to get those comments from the judges!

    Great job, very impressive. The Light-Heavies are usually the toughest weight class, or I believe within local contests.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 04-20-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

    Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

  5. #155
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Time+Patience View Post
    I think a lot of competitors need to work on that specific area, but you know when someone is in shape as soon as they turn to the rear and the hams and gluts are put on display.

    I guess you'll literally be working your butt off huh? The jump from 179 to 190 is tremendous, another 5 pounds will have you doing even better.

    By looking at pictures that you've posted a few pages prior in this thread it appears that you were more conditioned then compared to this most recent contest-- I assume the previous pictures were from the last Indiana contest? Do you believe you could have came in any tighter or was this your best?

    It must have been very encouraging to get those comments from the judges!

    Great job, very impressive. The Light-Heavies are usually the toughest weight class, or I believe within local contests.
    The glute/ham tie in is largely dependent on genetics when it comes to having that striated look, either you have it or you don't so you unfourtunately have to work with what you have. This doesn't mean someone isn't in contest shape just because their glute/hams are not shredded. That being said I can still make improvements but this sport is a marathon and takes time and as long as I continue to improve from year to year that is my only concern as I compete against myself and not really others. Placings are just a bonus.

    This was the best condition I have been in, but its hard to tell for you guys especially thru pics and with the competition tan and dependent on the quality of the camera and stage lighting, etc... Like in regular lighting without the tan you could see striations thru my delts, biceps, etc... veins running thru my abs, quads, delts and that hard dense look. I do believe I could have been a bit tighter in my low back but thats about it.

    Middleweights and Light-heavyweights are usually the most competitive at regional and national contests and even some local shows.

  6. #156
    WBB Team Captain Coke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Jacob's ladder
    Posts
    35,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    Middleweights and Light-heavyweights are usually the most competitive at regional and national contests and even some local shows.
    No joke, the light heavys used to be hands down the toughest but that's been changing lately.

  7. #157
    Continuing... Time+Patience's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    The glute/ham tie in is largely dependent on genetics when it comes to having that striated look, either you have it or you don't so you unfourtunately have to work with what you have. This doesn't mean someone isn't in contest shape just because their glute/hams are not shredded.
    Not everyone is destined to have the striated glutes, but if you come in ripped the lines between your glutes and hamstrings should be very distinct, regardless if they are void of any striations. Those tend to be the areas that are the "last" to come in for the majority of competitors, regardless of genetics.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    That being said I can still make improvements but this sport is a marathon and takes time and as long as I continue to improve from year to year that is my only concern as I compete against myself and not really others.
    I think I can subscribe to this thinking right here. I would rather do better than I did the previous time in terms of physical preparation and condition. Like you said, you have about 8 pounds to gain to stay in the Light-Heavies, so put in the hard work and you, as well as us, will see another year results.
    Last edited by Time+Patience; 04-20-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

    Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

  8. #158
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936
    Hey Allen, how's everything going?

    You ready to get your bulk on? What are your next plans?
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

  9. #159
    Senior Member Allen Cress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Clough View Post
    Hey Allen, how's everything going?

    You ready to get your bulk on? What are your next plans?
    I just started a new journal "Allen's off season training and nutrition", you can check it out there.

  10. #160
    Soon to be lean... Joe Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, England
    Posts
    10,936
    I'm there!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

    Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Similar Threads

  1. Savvy's Contest Prep-12 weeks
    By Savannah in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 11:21 AM
  2. Help for contest prep !!!
    By Thorus in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-18-2003, 01:03 PM
  3. 3 months prep for contest..
    By beastin v6 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2002, 06:37 PM
  4. Contest Prep
    By Orange357 in forum Member Online Journals
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-31-2001, 04:11 PM
  5. Cutting
    By heathj in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2001, 06:06 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •