Thread: Reverse Band Bench Press Question

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

Reverse Band Bench Press Question

So today was my first time every utilizing Reverse Bands Bench press. I think I used to much tension for me, but I'm not sure. I used green bands and worked up to 395x2. My max bench is 285x1 Raw. How much tension should I be using? Thanks!
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

About how high did you set the bands? Sounds like you hung them a bit higher than needed
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Great question, I kind of thought that the reverse band bench was a way to get your CNS used to handling heavier loads, I have used a number of different bands from different gyms due to the amount of travel I do and not having my own to take with me and I just figured whatever the assistance was did not matter as long as I was doing a one rep max I was putting my body in a position to "evolve", My hands were holding a load much more than what I could normally bench so my CNS was getting some training. After doing a good bit of reverse band stuff and DE bench with bands, I remember the first time I had 405 in my hands again since starting to use some of these techniques and the weight felt so light it was almost scary!

That is my 2 cents..... But I have not been at this power lifting thing very long!

Quote Originally Posted by lonesXedge View Post
    About how high did you set the bands? Sounds like you hung them a bit higher than needed
    I chocked them at the top of the power rack.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

I like to run the pins through the bands (not choked) not sure which pin height but I set it up so the Average bands help around 100 at chest and 0 lbs at lock-out.

Sounds like this set up may suit you.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    .......which is how tall exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    .......which is how tall exactly?
    ??? I'll measure when I'm at the gym tomorrow.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Yeah, that was probably too much if you were doubling 110 pounds over your 1RM. Thats a little too much for the CNS. Why have your CNS used to benching 395 x 2 when you can only bench 285 x 1?

Overloading and lockout work is the purpose of reverse bands, but you don't need to overload that much. You'll get more benefit from hanging them a bit lower. 110 pounds over your max for a double is unrealistic.

Greens are probably a good choice for you, but set the pins at roughly eye level and hang them from those. You'll use less weight, but benefit more
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    I usually bench that way by getting the bands in a position where they put 0 tension when the bar is locked out so that i know excactly by bar weight how much i'm locking out.
    To find out how much it's at chest height put weights on the bar until it reaches that height level of the chest.That's how much the bands take out.
    Saying which bands with all the differences between them, and the different attaching modes it's very hard to tell how much weight they excactly lift off for you.
    Generally when maxing out on rev band movements the top should feel heavier than when using straight weight and the bottom lighter,usually the median or around that much being your raw max (500 top,300 bottom for a 400 bencher,or even 550/250 or 450/350).

Honestly, it has never really mattered to me how much the bands were taking off. As long as I set up the bands the same way each time I can tell if I'm getting stronger. I've also never tried to extrapolate my reverse band numbers to my straight weight numbers. I just work up to something heavy with whatever set-up I have.
    I've always choked the bands around the top of the power rack. We have to use the pins as a last ditch safety mechanism, so we can't hang the bands from them. You can try some of the ideas suggested here to see what you prefer and ultimately what translates best to your regular bench.

Thanks for the advice everyone it helps out a lot! I'm new to westside and bands so this is all new to me.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Its not like he is actually handling 395lbs at any point throughout the lift.

I like to have a bit of tension on the bands at the lockout, if the bar actually comes out of the bands you are losing a bit of the effect of the lift I think. As long as you are making PRs with your set-up I wouldn't worry about anything.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

??? I'll measure when I'm at the gym tomorrow.
    The taller the rack, the more support from the band. I choke a green from a 7 ft tall rack and it takes about 100 lbs off the bottom and 40 at the top. Same bands choked around a 9 ft rack and I would guess it takes off about 200 lbs at the botton and 125-150 at the top.

Whats your goal, Raw or gear. If your Raw you want much less band tension. IF you are going to be wearing a shirt. I would say that tension is fine.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    Honestly, it has never really mattered to me how much the bands were taking off. As long as I set up the bands the same way each time I can tell if I'm getting stronger. I've also never tried to extrapolate my reverse band numbers to my straight weight numbers. I just work up to something heavy with whatever set-up I have.
    I've always choked the bands around the top of the power rack. We have to use the pins as a last ditch safety mechanism, so we can't hang the bands from them. You can try some of the ideas suggested here to see what you prefer and ultimately what translates best to your regular bench.
    I totally agree

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Its not like he is actually handling 395lbs at any point throughout the lift.

I like to have a bit of tension on the bands at the lockout, if the bar actually comes out of the bands you are losing a bit of the effect of the lift I think. As long as you are making PRs with your set-up I wouldn't worry about anything.
    yes to that. use them however you want, bands are for training, use them, set PR's, and dont get too worried about measuring tensions and whatnot.

How do you guys feel about doing something like 3 sets of 6-10 of reverse band presses to work on lockout? Are they more taxing them something like a full range close-grip?
    My Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132038

"Train to be a mother****er" -Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by ehubbard View Post
    The taller the rack, the more support from the band. I choke a green from a 7 ft tall rack and it takes about 100 lbs off the bottom and 40 at the top. Same bands choked around a 9 ft rack and I would guess it takes off about 200 lbs at the botton and 125-150 at the top.
    I'm guessing it's a 9ft rack cause its taller than 7ft.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Wannabebig Member Ben Brizendine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ehopkins932 View Post
    How do you guys feel about doing something like 3 sets of 6-10 of reverse band presses to work on lockout? Are they more taxing them something like a full range close-grip?
    Use them just like you would a normal bench workout. Mix it up, do some high rep stuff for awhile and do be afraid to try new things. There is no established "most effective" method that Im aware of.

Just dont forget about the regular old bench. We usually through band stuff in as an ansilary excesise. (get done with your ME day and then hit some rev band stuff.

Just my opinion but I think they are most effective when useing them for high reps. They are very easy on the joints and you can safely exsaust your primary muscle groups then continue to hit your stabilizers.
    Last edited by Ben Brizendine; 01-11-2010 at 07:41 PM.

if the bands are set up in a way where there going to take off that much out of the bottom then there most likely taking alot off the top. Unless you were to set up some bands a cpl holes above where you lockout and then double them over...say a blue or green band....then its prolly gona take a **** ton out of the bottom then almost completely be straight weight at the top. Iv farted around with this out of a power rack bench thing and just dbled them over the top and 225 barely touched my chest and was released at the top.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    if the bands are set up in a way where there going to take off that much out of the bottom then there most likely taking alot off the top. Unless you were to set up some bands a cpl holes above where you lockout and then double them over...say a blue or green band....then its prolly gona take a **** ton out of the bottom then almost completely be straight weight at the top. Iv farted around with this out of a power rack bench thing and just dbled them over the top and 225 barely touched my chest and was released at the top.
    I believe I read that this is how Metal Militia sets up there bands. Definetly, more appropriate for a shirted bencher.

I always set mine at the top of the power rack... I use M.Minis or Ave. bands. They're a good alternative to benching in a shirt some weeks as a ME exercise.