The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Box Squats or Free squats

Assuming one is using correct form on both lifts which one is easier on the lower back (In terms of injury not muscle growth)
    Division 1 shotputter.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I would say free squats. The sitting on the box is def going to put more strain directly on your spine.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I was always told not to sit on the box but when i feel the beginning of the cushion to explode up. Then again we use a pretty low box with a cushion on it so you never actually sit down.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

ya the free squats are easier on the back, but do build it better than a free squat.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    ya the free squats are easier on the back, but do build it better than a free squat.
    Did you mean to say that box squats build your squat better than free squats? That's interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by TXslapshot View Post
    I was always told not to sit on the box but when i feel the beginning of the cushion to explode up. Then again we use a pretty low box with a cushion on it so you never actually sit down.
    I don't think that is the correct way, pretty sure you want to get down on the box then explode back up, you should break the eccentric concentric chain briefly but not sit on the box long enough to compress your spine.

Basically just going till you know its there is practically same as doing a regular squat but using it to check your depth, and you won't get all the advantages of even doing a box squat.

Very similar with me. I never de-load to the box. I never alter my meet squat technique at all on box squats. I use the box for only 2 reasons. To make me keep the concept of sitting back (I start losing that quickly when I leave the box), and to imprint in my mind where exact depth is felt during the decent. If you do them to depth each set week after week you imprint what the right feel for depth is to explode up. If I come off of the box the week or two before the meet I find that the depth by itself is enough to cause the 'trigger' without feeling the box too. After the meet I go right back to the box. Done this way they are no more dangerous to your lower back than free squats.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

The idea (someone correct me on this) is to actually release the hip flexors momentarily before shooting back up, this requires you to place your weight on the box.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by cpa5oh View Post
    Did you mean to say that box squats build your squat better than free squats? That's interesting.
    yes a box squat will build your back better than a free squat imo