Thread: Knee popping during squats

Knee popping during squats

OK so starting the other day my knee starting popping quite loudly during squats. Same noise if I squat with no weight, an empty bar or during my 260lb work sets yesterday.

Zero pain during or after squatting. This seems to have started when I got my convict single ply knee sleeves, but my knee pops weather or not I am wearing them. Again there is no pain at all, I can feel a very slight movement on the outside/front of my knee if I put my hand on it to feel the pop. It's not the patella tendon or the patella.

Should I be worried?
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Wannabebig Member
    I get the impression from reading similar threads that this is not a problem if you don't experience any pain, but it can be annoying and distracting.

Stretch your quads, foam roll and massage out any knots. It may also be useful to take joint supplements like fish oil and glucosamine.

My right knee is noisy as hell, but no pain, and has been that way for about 5 years. Joint supps haven't quieted it down, but again, no pain, so I don't worry about it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

try stretching out your calves, hamstrings hard, and your quads quite abit. My knees get chatty, especially after leg extensions where it really tightens up the surrounding connective tissue due to more direct emphasis and that always cures it for my clients and i.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    try stretching out your calves, hamstrings hard, and your quads quite abit. My knees get chatty, especially after leg extensions where it really tightens up the surrounding connective tissue due to more direct emphasis and that always cures it for my clients and i.
    I'll keep focusing on my stretching. I stretch for a few minutes after my warm up but usually don't give any real attention to my calves though. I figure warm up first with a few minutes on the bike, then stretch, then get to lifting. I have definitely seen my ability to touch my toes improve over the last few weeks. I'm actually getting to the point that I can just about touch fists to the floor.
    B-230
    S-325
    D-345
    Dyslexic.

Wannabebig New Member
    i used to have the noisy knee, tight muscles was the reason for me(calves,quads) foam rolling does wonders