Thread: Should I feel close to failure during the final set/rep of a lift (SS)?

Should I feel close to failure during the final set/rep of a lift (SS)?

I just started on SS and I'm trying to establish a baseline for the amount of weights I'll be using.

How should I feel during the final set of a given lift on the SS program? I know I won't feel as fresh as when I started in set 1 but should I be feeling close to failure on the final set/reps?

Garage Lifter
    How far along are you into the program? And what weight increases are you using for the different excercises?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

It depends on how long you have been going since a deload and how you are increasing from WO to WO and at what weight you began.
    Sarvamangalam!

I'm just starting out on SS and picked a weight to start my lifts at. I'm nowhere near the point to deload yet. I'm basically asking so I can better guesstimate on how much more weight I should be loading per session since most of the lifts say 2.5-20 pound increase. If it felt somewhat easy to finish the final set with my squats should I add 10-15 pounds next time, where if I struggle I would only add 2.5-5 pounds?

I want to push myself on the weight increases but not be too aggressive that I can't complete the set.

I hope that makes sense.

Garage Lifter
    If you are on your first week or so the weights shouldn't be overly heavy. Do you have SS? It goes into a lot of detail on how to pick the right weight to start.

For increasing the loads most do: +5 on bench, OH press and powerclean and then +10 on squats and deadlifts. Then you adjust it down from there based on you ability to get the reps.

Google Starting Strength Wiki and you'll get al lot of info to supplement the book. Which you have, right?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

For me personally SS fluctuates. Somedays the last rep is easy some days its unbelivably hard. I guess it comes down to the length of time you were on it and how your nutrition and rest has been.
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?

If you're just starting, don't worry if the last reps aren't near failure. As you increase the weight, your workouts will get tougher and tougher.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Thanks for the responses! I have the book on the way to me.