The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Getting Big but Getting a Belly: Advice Needed

Hey All,

I'm lifting heavy, eating big, getting big but also getting a belly. What does this mean, I'm eating too much or not lifting the right way? My diet consists of heavy protein and all the standard "good" bodybuilding food. However, I am getting a gut, no doubt.

I'm trying to get some advice from some of you who have gone through this. Should I cut back on the calories? Will that help? As far as lifting goes, if anything I'm overtraining and working harder than I should be for size, yet I'm still getting a gut. So, I don't want to mess with my workout routine. The only thing I can see is to cut back on the calories.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-chimp

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    If your diet is clean like it is then cutting calories is the answer. You could try different macro-nutrient percentages as well.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Wannabebig Member
    i have the same problem. maybe it is the supplements we take? i'm not sure

Thanks. Yeah, I think I'm just going to cut back for a few weeks and see what happens, see if I lose the gut, muscle mass or what. All these articles just keep hammering home the fact that you have to eat to get huge. Maybe so, but I don't like the gut.

LuNa
    With gaining muscle, you always gain some fat, its unevitable. The stomach is one of the first places fat gets deposited for men. If you feel uncomfortable with how you look, lower your calories to loose some fat. However, this does mean that you wont be gaining muscle anymore. If you feel that you should first get more muscle then you will just have to accept the belly for now.

How much above maintenance are you currently eating?

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    With gaining muscle, you always gain some fat, its unevitable. The stomach is one of the first places fat gets deposited for men. If you feel uncomfortable with how you look, lower your calories to loose some fat. However, this does mean that you wont be gaining muscle anymore. If you feel that you should first get more muscle then you will just have to accept the belly for now.
    How can you make a statement like that with the information the op gave? Maybe he's gaining weight too fast, greater than 1lb per week. If he's a beginner or even intermediate he can still gain muscle while losing fat. It's a slow process but can be done.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

i also get this problem.. last time i bulked up to 210 i gained lean mass everywhere and grew pudgy on my face and lower stomach was a problem.. i tend to keep significant stomach fat even when i was 168.. i might try switching macros to a VERY low carb to no carb diet and see how that works on my body type.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132442

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...wner=rleopando

Squat - 375
    Bench - 265
    Deadlift - 425

Goal: BW/OH squat 185 LBS x 15 by summer 2010

There are so many factors which dictate how you gain muscle/weight and the biggest quite frankly is your own body type. You have to take this into account and then determine the way you feel most comfortable about gaining muscle/weight.

Here are two examples.

I have a friend who is muscular, reasonably lean and I would guess has a med/high metabolism. He hasn't trained in two months and has been on a serious binge and the ****er is still leaner and more muscular than me! When he is training and eating a lot he gains muscle without putting on much fat and looks great.

Now for myself. I naturally have a non muscular, not very lean, low metabolism - yes it sucks to me lol... The last 10 years I have probably been 15% - 20% because I just kept soldiering on telling myself that it was just the way I gained weight. Yeah I gained weight, but I looked ****ty and there were guys less muscular than me, but because they were leaned looked so much better. I would even say I looked like I was out of shape/non trained because I just had too much fat.

I have only really come to the realisation very recently that I have to be a bit more strategic about how I am doing things. Plus I am tired of looking out of shape and untrained. So my first port of call is to get to 10% bodyfat. It's going to take an extra-ordinary effort to get there (strict dieting and lots of cardio) but once I get there I know I am going to be truly happy. From there it will be important to never go over 13%. I reckon I will have to be doing cardio all year round to some degree and my weight gain will be MUCH slower than most but I will be reasonably lean at all times.

This is just the way I feel comfortable doing things because of my bodytype and I am guessing I am the same as the original poster. Fat goes to my fact, stomach and chest (as it does with most men) very easily so I have to be really careful with my calories and activity levels.

The good thing about being lean is that your metabloism will naturally get higher and it will become easier to gain lean mass too.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    How can you make a statement like that with the information the op gave? Maybe he's gaining weight too fast, greater than 1lb per week. If he's a beginner or even intermediate he can still gain muscle while losing fat. It's a slow process but can be done.
    To loose fat you are going to be in a deficit. A deficit means no muscle gain, unless you are a beginner or an intermediate that knows how to do things. I did assume he was not a beginner and i also assumed that he is not in a position where he knows what it takes to gain muscle and loose fat at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    With gaining muscle, you always gain some fat, its unevitable. The stomach is one of the first places fat gets deposited for men.
    this is true. its bulking, you eat in surplus so you can grow your muscles, but its likely that your bodyfat with increase as well and this is probably around your waist if your a male. thats why they say bulk in the winter (most people wont see you without a shirt in winter) and cut in the spring/summer to loose the fat gained from bulking. if you didnt gain fat with muscle there would be no such thing as bulking or cutting phases. just worry about slappin as much muscle on as you can and dont worry about the chubb. it will come off when you cut

but like the others said, it is possible to gain muscle and lose fat, but it can get complicated and time consuming. if you have enough dedication you can do it though
    Last edited by soclydeza; 01-11-2010 at 06:38 AM.

LOSE not loose!!! lol :P

OP - You might be gaining weight too quickly. We may need some more details before we can help.

I know you read "You need to eat more!!111!!" But you cant force feed your muscles into growing. I think theres a fine line of eating more to gain muscle and eating more to gain unneeded amounts of bodyfat.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by chimp_53 View Post
    Hey All,

I'm lifting heavy, eating big, getting big but also getting a belly. What does this mean, I'm eating too much or not lifting the right way? My diet consists of heavy protein and all the standard "good" bodybuilding food. However, I am getting a gut, no doubt.

I'm trying to get some advice from some of you who have gone through this. Should I cut back on the calories? Will that help? As far as lifting goes, if anything I'm overtraining and working harder than I should be for size, yet I'm still getting a gut. So, I don't want to mess with my workout routine. The only thing I can see is to cut back on the calories.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

-chimp
    a lot of this will be determined by what your goals are and what your diet looks like. You also say your overtraining. A description of your routine would help as well.