The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How do you distinguish between Good and Bad advice about training?

Hey guys,

been thinking about this... how do you distinguish it? T-Nation is obvious example of tons of marketing for bad product but most of the people wont know it is probably. Some websites just sell fitness products to earn money not because they tried it and believed it.. And in those sites you can see tons of AdSense ads, no creators photo. Some sell good product but some don't...

So how do you know when you see new product/routine/DVD etc?
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125238

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I look for big name athletes or coaches who have lots of experience and achievements in their field. I avoid any articles that only advertise a product like so many on t-nation do. And as a general rule of thumb i avoid anything on wikipedia.

All of the articles here and on elitefts are by experienced authors. Also a lot of athletes/coaches at elitefts have websites you could check out. The few ive seen had good info.

Quote Originally Posted by slashkills View Post
    I look for big name athletes or coaches who have lots of experience and achievements in their field. I avoid any articles that only advertise a product like so many on t-nation do. And as a general rule of thumb i avoid anything on wikipedia.

All of the articles here and on elitefts are by experienced authors. Also a lot of athletes/coaches at elitefts have websites you could check out. The few ive seen had good info.
    Sometimes just because person is big and muscular doesn't mean he knows much good stuff. And doesn't mean his advice is good for person with different body type for example. So i my opinion, people need to be careful here too.
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:

Beware of anything claiming to give you big fast gains.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Big and muscular people may only be a result of good heredity, it is true, but on the flip side when someone is supposed to be an "expert" and looks like they don't even train I am not going to bother with their advice.

The best way is to give things a try and see if they work for YOU.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Beware of anything claiming to give you big fast gains.
    Too good to be true usually is! The only thing that will trully make you big is time under the bar.

Eat,sleep and train like it is your job.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

There are only a few principles to strength and growth, (a small set of rules, for the weight required, the reps performed, the sets, volume and frequency), enough that different successful programs can co-exist but not so many as to make it the minefield that the author of every new and outrageous program/supplement will have you believe.

There are no shortcuts.

Understand what causes muscular growth and you can tell very quickly who's worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Big and muscular people may only be a result of good heredity, it is true, but on the flip side when someone is supposed to be an "expert" and looks like they don't even train I am not going to bother with their advice.
    This really bugs me sometimes. Especially the guys with degrees in nutrition whom act like everything they say is the word of god despite the fact that they don't train themselves.

I definitely respect somebody with a b.s. or masters in a science related field but when the subject being discussed is bodybuilding related the first thing I'm going to do is judge the physique/accomplishments of the guy giving advice. I'm sorry but to a certain extent you should practice what you preach.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

by products, do you mean supplements? if you know what supplements you need you'll know what supplements to stay away from. outside of protein and creatine theres not to many sport nutrition products you need. if an article is trying to tell you about a specific product, stay away from it. if you're unsure then do research online, and on here, to see what other "non-sales people" will tell you. unfortunately there probably more b.s. out there than truth, you just gotta know what to look out for

Most people just have no idea what their goals, resources, and limitations are. Without goals and without self-knowledge, you are at the mercy of every shuckster that comes up w. the next best thing, telling you what you need and how to get there.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

underdog
    hey not sure if im in the right place, ive been given advice, i am a begginer and need to know if i should keep my repsm low and pile on the weight to really work my muscles, ive been told allsorts of mdifferent things, so whats better than to ask you guys

You'll most likely get better as you go along about discerning good info sources from bad as well as products

Wannabebig Member
    I try to get most of my advice from here!

So many times I have been given advice in the gym, even from guys smaller than me, and it ticks me off. I don't ask for it, so please don't offer. My favorite is when the guy starts his sentence with "I don't do legs anymore......"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    There are only a few principles to strength and growth, (a small set of rules, for the weight required, the reps performed, the sets, volume and frequency), enough that different successful programs can co-exist but not so many as to make it the minefield that the author of every new and outrageous program/supplement will have you believe.

There are no shortcuts.
    Well said.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Nice to see lots of people chiming in! Keep them coming!

And it's real hard to tell between supps, which are good which are not. Tons of proteins shakes or creatine stuff plus other stuff like Leucitine or other -itines etc.

If I had to give advice for a newbie then I'd say ignore ads, yo just need food, protein shake is helpful, creatine is helpful, and vitamins are good. Anything else is overdoing it. Stick to basics-first routines and sleep.
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:

Yeah completely ignore adds and dont go by whats a good "product" but whats a good substance and if multiple companies make a product with the substance. When you want to find out if somethings good research the substance(s) in the product not the product itself, for the most part anyways. And for me personally i find the more substances in the product the worse it usually is. If its a muscle builder and its crammed with a little bit of a whole range of things that MIGHT do something 90% of the time its completely useless.

Click on the link in my signature below:

Quote Originally Posted by Skalami View Post
    Yeah completely ignore adds and dont go by whats a good "product" but whats a good substance and if multiple companies make a product with the substance. When you want to find out if somethings good research the substance(s) in the product not the product itself, for the most part anyways. And for me personally i find the more substances in the product the worse it usually is. If its a muscle builder and its crammed with a little bit of a whole range of things that MIGHT do something 90% of the time its completely useless.

Click on the link in my signature below:
    Oh I've seen Bigger Stronger Faster... stopped using supps after it... will be back to using supps but be very careful..
    Lifts:

Bench Press 60kg 5x5
    Squats 77,5 kg 5x5
    Deads 112,5kg 5x5
    BB Rows 80kg 5x5
    Overhead Pr. 40kg 5x5

My training journal:

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    My opinon, If it claims to be easy, it does not work!
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Quote Originally Posted by Bodyguard View Post
    My opinon, If it claims to be easy, it does not work!
    I agree with the above. I do read T-nation from time to time, but that's only to add variety to what I read. Obviously there's a lot of bull**** out there, but if you know what you're doing in the gym then it shouldn't be hard to distinguish good advice from bad advice.

As for advice given to beginners, some listen some do not. Most beginner just want to read and hear information that reinforces what they already believe. We've seen that here on this site plenty, giving countless examples of why people should squat and deadlift yet they still do not.

In my opinion it doesn't come down to what type of advice is given, more the person who is receiving that advice.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Ignore most of the mags, ignore any of the "get big quick" crap and like Invain said, if they're a little, skinny, weak person telling you how to lift, ignore that, as well. Eat, sleep, lift hard, protein, creatine and a good multi are the basics.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post

There are no shortcuts.

Understand what causes muscular growth and you can tell very quickly who's worth listening to.
    This is a big part of it. Know the science behond strength training and anatomy and that will help a lot. Learn how to read scientific studies and distinguish between studies that are clearly biased or use poor scientific basis for conclusions. The best way to know the difference, however, is just to have time under the bar itself. That kind of experience will go a long way toward helping you understand what works and what is complete BS.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

If I do it or try it and it works... The funny thing about any advise is how different we all are and how we all know that but think that if someone has something we want that if we drink what they drink or lift like they lift it will Automatically work for us. More often then not it doesn't!

Trial and error, unfortunately that trial and error can cost money and time but that is how you learn,

My 2 cents

Or how about this; the advice they give on training and maybe nutrition that isnt trying to sell you anything can be a little more trusted then advice on products. Usually the advice offered though is stuff most people know with a twist or two thrown in... just to make it seem like the mags arent only pushing what their advertisers want. I bet if you have 2+ years of mags built up you could go back and find very similar stories rehashed over and over.

Also make sure you understand the science behind whatever someone is saying. If it sounds to easy to be true it probably is.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

When you keep hearing the same advice over and over from different sources, especially when those people are bigger/stronger than you are it's probably good advice.

When it comes to drugs/nutritional products there are some that work and many that don't. The one's that work will be around for a long time and usually have minimal advertizing (because they work).

Find people whose advice you trust. For me, those people are my training partners and a select other few. But for the most part there are only about 5 people who I will ever ask advice from when it comes to training and even then it's more of a discussion rather than: tell me what to do.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220