The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Aspiring Arnold

Training at 48 years old.

I feel like a 25 year old except after I train. I have been lifting for about 1 month now, I used to lift when I was younger. I am a little fat and I have an enourmous belly. I have muscles they are just under the fat. Should I stop protein shakes and work on cardio first? I was taking creatine, protein shakes, Glutemine, Acai extract, peri colace( I have chronic back pain and my pain meds constipate me). I do know that my digestive health is very important and I have worked on that by eating right and getting fiber and plenty of water. The bloated belly persists. But my arms are looking great. I do upper body one day then lower body the next day mixed with cardio, aerobic type excercises. I rest one day. I have started lifting heavy in order to break the muscles down and i may have to rest more in between. One more factor is that i have recently been prescribed testosterone shots every two weeks. 200mg intramusculary. cool huh! I used to use deca durabolin when i was training for contest while younger. The things we do. So i guess I just need to know if I should lose fat first and uncover my muscle or try to build mass first and lose weight. I just read complexes. I think I know what to do now.
    Last edited by Tejanodrum; 01-14-2010 at 02:27 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm another old guy at 45 who just started lifting more seriously last year. Were I you, I'd figure out what your goal weight is, say 180, continue to lift with a routine like Starting Strength, and eat (very cleanly) like someone who weighs 180lbs would eat.

Hey welcome. I'm 46 years old myself. Keep lifting heavy and clean up the diet.

Well I am not an old guy, but I will offer my opinion.

As stated, eat at the calorie level for the weight you want to be. Eat clean. Get the macro nutrients in the right place.

Do starting strength and then throw in a day or two of complexes. Now I need to go away from the published data. If you are struggling with recovery, you might need to cut the sets down to 2 or 3 for the complexes.

At 64 I do two workouts per week and 3 days of complexes at 3 sets and my recovery is struggling. I will be cutting the complexes back to 2 days per week.

Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    Well I am not an old guy, .
    That's the spirit

Quote Originally Posted by DMedley View Post
    Do starting strength and then throw in a day or two of complexes. Now I need to go away from the published data. If you are struggling with recovery, you might need to cut the sets down to 2 or 3 for the complexes.

I will be cutting the complexes back to 2 days per week.
    Great advice and strategy.