The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Some advice please :)

Hey all, obviously I have just registered here. I asked this question on another site and was advised I'd get some great advice here.

My training has been on and off recently as I've been hit with some frequent chest infections. I'm getting over this one now and my first bench shirt, a super katana arrived yesterday. I have been in a katana recently (though it was second hand and not custom fit like the new super katana I've got), so I'm not totally new to shirted benching, although I am by no means experienced. This will be kind of hard to explain.

Basically... I can touch in the shirt with a weight that's reasonably heavy for me. Problem is, I have to touch really low to do so, so low I know I will be failed in comp and it's also hit and miss at whether I can press the weight from that point.

Really what I want is to be touching higher where I get the most out of the shirt and also in the line that suits me. The problem is, in order to touch at this higher point I need more weight on the bar. At the moment I don't have the strength to handle this sort of weight. So....how should I approach my training in order to build up this strength, but at the same time not atrophy in the bottom portion of the lift?

I was thinking boards. Starting with a heavy-ish off a 2 inch then the next few heavier sets off a four.
    Next workout would be the same weights, but with one more set off a 2 inch etc

Something like
    180kg x2 2inch
    185kg x2 4 inch
    190kg x2 4 inch
    195kg x2 4 inch
    200kg x2 4 inch

180kg x2 2 inch
    185kg x2 2 inch
    190kg x2 4 inch
    195kg x2 4 inch
    200kg x2 4 inch

180kg x2 2 inch
    185kg x2 2 inch
    190kg x2 2 inch
    195kg x2 4 inch
    200kg x2 4 inch

By keeping at least one set always off 2 inches I'm never really staying too far away from the bottom portion of the lift. This pattern would continue until all sets are off a 2 inch. Then it would be a matter of progressing the distance and weight and developing my strength to a point where I can handle a weight that allows me to touch where I want. I don't know what this weight will be, but I'm guessing around 190-200kg. Hopefully all of this makes at least a grain of sense? lol. I'm trying to keep things relatively basic as I only get to train twice a week. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

There ya go buddy! Glad to have you here b2l!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Well, if you are having trouble touching then I would not get on the boards. In my experience Katanas lock up really hard at the bottom so just being on a 1 board can be a big difference.

How long have you had the shirt and how many times have you benched in it? It may just need to break in some. You may just not be used to wearing a tight shirt and just need to be patient on getting it to the right spot.

Doing some reps in the shirt and bringing it down as much as you can may be the way to go.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    There ya go buddy! Glad to have you here b2l!
    Thanks! Looking forward to some good advice

what is "low" where exactly are you touching now?
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ct67_72 View Post
    what is "low" where exactly are you touching now?
    Probably an inch to an inch and a half above the navel. It feels uncomfortable as well, sort of like there's a lot of pressure on my elbows and the bar could just roll onto my stomach. To be competition legal I need to be hitting sternum though anyways

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Well, if you are having trouble touching then I would not get on the boards. In my experience Katanas lock up really hard at the bottom so just being on a 1 board can be a big difference.

How long have you had the shirt and how many times have you benched in it? It may just need to break in some. You may just not be used to wearing a tight shirt and just need to be patient on getting it to the right spot.

Doing some reps in the shirt and bringing it down as much as you can may be the way to go.
    Ok. I know what you mean on the locking up. I'm really feeling it on this one. I only got the shirt two days ago, so I know it is definitely stiffer and needs worked in. Surprisingly it's not cutting me as much as the previous shirt which wasn't made to fit and was second hand.

If you recommend not getting on boards and I don't have the strength to handle the weight to touch the weight higher what alternatives are there?
    Thanks for the comment btw!

ah yes, that would be low. do you or can you get any video? a lot of touching is form
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ct67_72 View Post
    ah yes, that would be low. do you or can you get any video? a lot of touching is form
    I will try and get a video up at some stage. Won't be benching for another few days yet. Have you ever had this problem yourself?

did you get the A/S sk? if so the sleeve angel is designed for the lower groove/belly benching.

Read Vincent Dizenzo's article "The art of triples" on elitefts.com

Do a triples cycle. You will be taking lighter weights for several weeks and you'll be learning to touch at the same time. The way we have typically set up a cycle is to do 3 weeks of triples in the shirt, a week out of the shirt, 3 weeks of doubles, a week out of the shirt and 3 weeks of singles. To determine your weights, start with a number that is a PR bench for you, make it realistic because you will be hitting it in 11 weeks. Work backward in increments of 15-20 lbs for each shirted week. It works well because you are using lighter weights, it eaches you to b patient under the bar, it teaches you to get the weight down fast and under control and it gets you touching anything you put on the bar. There are no boards, no tricks. Just lift. I think this would be perfect for you.

For example, my first triple cycle I did 405. It looked like this:
    Week 1: 285
    Week 2: 300
    Week 3: 315
    Week 4: OUT
    Week 5: 330
    Week 6: 345
    Week 7: 360
    Week 8: OUT
    Week 9: 375
    Week 10: 390
    Week 11: 405

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by burn2live View Post
    Ok. I know what you mean on the locking up. I'm really feeling it on this one. I only got the shirt two days ago, so I know it is definitely stiffer and needs worked in. Surprisingly it's not cutting me as much as the previous shirt which wasn't made to fit and was second hand.

If you recommend not getting on boards and I don't have the strength to handle the weight to touch the weight higher what alternatives are there?
    Thanks for the comment btw!
    If it's only two days old then it needs to break in some. Just try to bench in the groove that you want and bring it down as much as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post

Do a triples cycle. You will be taking lighter weights for several weeks and you'll be learning to touch at the same time. The way we have typically set up a cycle is to do 3 weeks of triples in the shirt, a week out of the shirt, 3 weeks of doubles, a week out of the shirt and 3 weeks of singles. To determine your weights, start with a number that is a PR bench for you, make it realistic because you will be hitting it in 11 weeks. Work backward in increments of 15-20 lbs for each shirted week. It works well because you are using lighter weights, it eaches you to b patient under the bar, it teaches you to get the weight down fast and under control and it gets you touching anything you put on the bar. There are no boards, no tricks. Just lift. I think this would be perfect for you.

I think this is a very good idea by Drew.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    did you get the A/S sk? if so the sleeve angel is designed for the lower groove/belly benching.
    I would like to know this as well Rich. It could also matter how much he is arching.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by douglasoh5 View Post
    Yeh, I got A/S. The second hand shirt I was using was A/S you see so I didn't want to change too much. I know it will touch lower, but the point where I feel the shirt locking up the best is around the bottom of my sternum, not quite as low as my belly.

Wannabebig Member

Thanks for this. I will look up the article. At a quick glance it would work out the first week I will probably be trying to touch like 120-130kg, which really just will not happen :S I will take a look at the article and try and think something up along the lines of above!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    If it's only two days old then it needs to break in some. Just try to bench in the groove that you want and bring it down as much as you can.

I think this is a very good idea by Drew.

I would like to know this as well Rich. It could also matter how much he is arching.
    I arch a reasonable amount for my size, although I'm still only in the 110kgs so I don't have a belly to bench off! lol

I'll stick to the groove I want and try and work in triples getting the bar down further as I go

Quote Originally Posted by burn2live View Post
    Thanks for this. I will look up the article. At a quick glance it would work out the first week I will probably be trying to touch like 120-130kg, which really just will not happen :S I will take a look at the article and try and think something up along the lines of above!
    Read the article. The idea is to touch at least the third rep. You have someone give you a press call when you lock up on the first two reps. As soon as you lock out the weight should be heading back down and you should have someone screaming "down down down" at you. The third rep you will want whoever is calling you to make you stay down there until you touch.

Wannabebig Member
    Read the article. The idea is to touch at least the third rep. You have someone give you a press call when you lock up on the first two reps. As soon as you lock out the weight should be heading back down and you should have someone screaming "down down down" at you. The third rep you will want whoever is calling you to make you stay down there until you touch.
    Ok, I just read the article. I will post the link in my next message for anyone else who wants to read it as apparently I need 10 posts to put in links

I already have people screaming down down down at me, the other day that's why I ended up with the bar on my stomach lol. I will try and stick with it even as the shirt locks up and just take the bar down where I want it

Wannabebig Member

You need to get it down fast, but under control. When the bar locks up, be patient. Push your hips and your belly up, squeeze your glutes hard and drive your heels down. Don't dump the bar to your belly.

Wannabebig Member
    You need to get it down fast, but under control. When the bar locks up, be patient. Push your hips and your belly up, squeeze your glutes hard and drive your heels down. Don't dump the bar to your belly.
    Yeh, I think that's what I need to do. Just take more time to let the bar descend in the right plane