The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Home is a killa

Wannabebig Member

Home is a killa

So i have dumb bells at my house and wont be getting a gym membership for another 2-3 months. I have a 15,25, and 40 lb dumb bell and dont know what to do with them. Ive curled them and done some things you do with kettle bells for the past 3-4 years (i have gone to the gym too and done everything i possibly can there when i do go) I pretty much lift these all day and well i think i need to get a routine or something with them. i tend to lift when im bored at thats like every day when im done with my hw (i dont only lift when im bored.) if you guys can give me some workouts to do each day that would be very much appreciated.
    Ht 5 "6"
    Wt 140
    Age 18

Goals:
    Deadlift (current 335) Goal 400 by April 18
    Squat (current 150) Goal 250 by April 18
    Bench (current 225) Goal 275 by April 18

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Tie the 15 and the 25 together. Now you have two 40s.

Dumbbell Squats - 2 sets of max reps
    S.l.d.l. - 2 sets of max reps
    Bar Dips - 2 sets of max reps
    Dumbbell Row - 2 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Press - 2 sets of 12 reps
    Dumbbell Curls - 2 sets of 12 reps
    Weighted Situps - 2 sets of 20 reps

Do this Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Add weight when you can. When you are using all 80 lbs then start adding reps. Get a gym membership as soon as you can because you'll outgrow those dumbbells really fast.

Dumbell Squats - tie the 15 and 25 together. Clean the two 40s to your shoulders and squat away.

S.l.d.l. - Use the two 40s again. use good form and crank out good reps going nice and deep.

Bar Dips - Dip between two heavy dining chairs. Work on these until you can do the 2 sets of 12. After that you can add weight to them using the dumbbells.

1 Arm Dumbbell Rows - Start with the 15, then move up to the 25, and finally use the 40. After the 40 gets too easy, start adding reps.

1 Arm Dumbbell Press - Same thing...start with the 15 and work up when you can. If the reps drop when you use a heavier dumbbell, that's okay, just work back up to 2 sets of 12 reps.

Dumbbell Curls - Same thing as rows and presses.
    Last edited by Off Road; 01-17-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by aregd202 View Post
    So i have dumb bells at my house and wont be getting a gym membership for another 2-3 months. I have a 15,25, and 40 lb dumb bell and dont know what to do with them. Ive curled them and done some things you do with kettle bells for the past 3-4 years (i have gone to the gym too and done everything i possibly can there when i do go) I pretty much lift these all day and well i think i need to get a routine or something with them. i tend to lift when im bored at thats like every day when im done with my hw (i dont only lift when im bored.) if you guys can give me some workouts to do each day that would be very much appreciated.
    keep in mind that you dont always need weights to workout, unless you wanna start going heavy, then the total 80lbs that you have in dumbells wont be enough. for example:

if you cant bench, do pushups with one of the weights on your back. keeping a dumbell stable on your back might be awkward though, so maybe try a heavy flat object like a few books.

do one arm shoulder presses. do all your reps on one side, then do the next side.

do goblet squats (look them up if you dont know what they are). do what the previous poster said and tie the dumbells together if you need more weight

these are just some examples. you can do a routine like this:

MON
    -Weighted pushups
    -Dumbell Presses (if you dont have a bench of some sort, lay on a flat surface where you arm can extend behind you, like a desk or the edge of a bed, and perform presses with the weight)
    -Good Mornings
    -One Arm Row
    -Somekind of ab work

WED
    -Goblet Squats
    -Dumbell Lunges
    -Dumbell Pullthoughs
    -Standing Calf Raises
    -Ab work

FRI
    -One Arm Shoulder Press
    -One Arm Lateral Raise
    -Tricep Ovehead Extension
    -Dumbell Skullcrusher
    -Dumbell Bicep Curl
    -Dumbell Hammer Curl
    -Ab work

thats just an idea i derived from WBB1, modified for what you have. of coarse, the best solution would be to buy more weights. or buy a set of resistance bands, they're very cheap but very effective if used right. u can also get a pullup bar, theres a lot for your back, bis, and shoulders that you can do with one of those
    Last edited by soclydeza; 01-18-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Go outside and find something heavy and pick it up. Big stones, logs, tires, whatever. Be creative.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Wannabebig Member
    if i didnt make it clear, i have two 15,25, and 40's. Also i have a chinup bar and a yoga ball
    Last edited by aregd202; 01-18-2010 at 11:53 AM.
    Ht 5 "6"
    Wt 140
    Age 18

Goals:

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aregd202 View Post
    if i didnt make it clear, i have two 15,25, and 40's. Also i have a chinup bar and a yoga ball
    I suggest you do bodyweight exercises (Brooks Kubik - Dinosaur Bodyweight Training) is good. Also I'm guessing your yoga ball is a swiss ball AKA a Stability hall.

* Chins and Pull Ups with your Bar - Get yourself a weight belt to tie your dumbbells on to and a Dynaband if you can't do Pull Ups to assist you, and progress even further using towels.

* Push ups and Planks with your Ball - Inclines and Flat, Both hands, Both Legs, One Hand, One Leg progression.

* Elevated stability ball pushups > Gorilla Pushups > Handstand Pushups.

* L-Sits and V-Sits your pull up bar.

* Dumbbell Abdominal Roll-outs

* Do you have a loft hatch? If you do then you have a parallel dipping facility, increase reps and increase weight using your dumbbells.

* Squats, wall squats, ball squats, one-legged squats, lunges, duck walks, walking lunges.

* Stability ball leg curl, hypertensions, and leg scissors.

* Finaly get yourself somthing heavy and a rope, pull that somthing heavy towards you with the rope tied to it.
    Last edited by RossGers; 01-18-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossGers View Post
    I suggest you do bodyweight exercises (Brooks Kubik - Dinosaur Bodyweight Training) is good.
    Brooks is one of my favorite authors. But, I think he was a little off with the whole bodyweight exercise thing. He has since went back to basic barbell movements himself. When he wanted to get into shape for the opera, he went straight for the barbells, not the bodyweight stuff.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Is there a gym at your high school? Start working out there. I had a fairly good weight setup at home, when I was in school, but once I had access to the school's gym, I took full advantage of it.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    ^^ Seconded!
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

When i used to workout at home...a LONG time ago. I did endless amounts of weighted pullups/chinups. At my best i could do 20 dead hang reps with 50lbs strapped to me. Long story short, I didn't have a weight belt so I used two old leather belts and strapped them together! Moral of this short story...be creative!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soclydeza View Post
    keep in mind that you dont always need weights to workout, unless you wanna start going heavy, then the total 80lbs that you have in dumbells wont be enough. for example:

if you cant bench, do pushups with one of the weights on your back. keeping a dumbell stable on your back might be awkward though, so maybe try a heavy flat object like a few books.

do one arm shoulder presses. do all your reps on one side, then do the next side.

do goblet squats (look them up if you dont know what they are). do what the previous poster said and tie the dumbells together if you need more weight

these are just some examples. you can do a routine like this:

MON
    -Weighted pushups
    -Dumbell Presses (if you dont have a bench of some sort, lay on a flat surface where you arm can extend behind you, like a desk or the edge of a bed, and perform presses with the weight)
    -Good Mornings
    -One Arm Row
    -Somekind of ab work

WED
    -Goblet Squats
    -Dumbell Lunges
    -Dumbell Pullthoughs
    -Standing Calf Raises
    -Ab work

FRI
    -One Arm Shoulder Press
    -One Arm Lateral Raise
    -Tricep Ovehead Extension
    -Dumbell Skullcrusher
    -Dumbell Bicep Curl
    -Dumbell Hammer Curl
    -Ab work

thats just an idea i derived from WBB1, modified for what you have. of coarse, the best solution would be to buy more weights. or buy a set of resistance bands, they're very cheap but very effective if used right. u can also get a pullup bar, theres a lot for your back, bis, and shoulders that you can do with one of those
    this would be your best bet

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    Is there a gym at your high school? Start working out there. I had a fairly good weight setup at home, when I was in school, but once I had access to the school's gym, I took full advantage of it.

They do, but they have groups for beginners in there who dont know how to lift and if i want to join the program which i dont, you cant lift while they are instructing.I think ill try that routine out and see how it works for a while.
    Ht 5 "6"
    Wt 140
    Age 18

Goals: