Thread: Please help me get serious.

Please help me get serious.

Hi

Ive been weight lifting for about a year but just with the stupid 3x10 that all personal trainers seem to know how to give anyone. Ive made small gains, mostly in definition not much in the size depmartment. I was looking about here and a lot of people seem to suggest doing a Randal Strossan like program when just starting. What do you guys think? Do entire body twice a week or a chest/tri back/bi leg/shoulder split? I've been doing a split for a while so maybe something else might help better? I'm open to any suggestions.

I'm 15 turning 16 this summer by the way.

Mind Over Matter Monster Muscle's Avatar
    your name is serious RONNIE
    Last edited by Monster Muscle; 05-01-2002 at 01:18 AM.
    "If you have a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it will burn out. But when you have a human body that is the equivalent of a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it eventually becomes a 12-horsepower motor."
    -Dr. L.G.

What? My name is Cole, Coleman is just a nickname a lot of my friends call me. No reference at all to Ronnie Coleman.

Mystic Eric
    Try the first wbb routine, and then work through to the 2nd, then the 3d one.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    I'm with eric...not in any queer way...just try the wannabebig routine I listed on the front page somewhere, I think it's in the archives now

If you want mass you have to eat for mass as well. Check out people's diets in the "diet" forum and their online journals.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

Banned
    Agree with Elpietro. Ya won't grow unless you're packin' in the quality calories, especially if you're starting from a lean/ectomorphic frame.

Also, to generally sum up most of what you'll read elseboard here (which I tend to agree with):

1) If you wanna be big/strong, lift heavier weight for low (6-8) reps

2) Don't overtrain. 2x a week per bodypart is HERDS of training. Some people only train stuff 1x per week. Much debate on this one way or the other... personally I prefer 2x a week and have had some good gains on a Back/Chest Shoulders/Leg split.

3) PROGRESSIVE resistance is the key. Every workout, strive to do MORE than you did the last workout, even it's one more rep or one more pound, on every exercise.

4) Favour compound movements over isolation movements. Especially if yer just a youngun, starting out... your tris get hit when you do chest/shoulders, and your bis when you do back.

5) Be strict with form and careful with your lifting. if you gotta cheat just to MOVE the weight, it's too much. Focus on perfect form and leave the cheat reps and other crap for later, after you're massive.

Good luck
    Callahan

Extremely Disturbed
    A good idea as well is to read the articles at the front of the site ==> http://www.wannabebig.com/ They can be helpful in a great way
    H

Ya I looked through the WBB programs a while ago.

I'm most just wondering about this: Ive heard several people on this board say that when your just starting out, do the big 3 and maybe a few other exercises and do them 2-3 times a week. (like the randall strossan program)

hmm, I like to be big!!!
    hey, don't forget, plifting is always an option.
    Chris Mason is my master.....

American cars are like fat people, sure, they have a lot of power, but they're not built well, and they have all that useless weight, plus they make both make funny noises.

feel free to aim me, nejar462 im on a lot. Don't know much to warn you dudes, but im good at conversations.

Belial in reference to Ronnie Coleman, "Some people say he still has blood in his steroid stream, but I doubt it. Gas isn't one of the side effects, but that massive bloated overly muscular freak of nature circus sideshow appearance might be what tips most people off."

Originally posted by ElPietro
    If you want mass you have to eat for mass as well. Check out people's diets in the "diet" forum and their online journals.
    Yeah, I couldn't agree more. You must eat with the same intensity you have when you lift.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)