The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Protein in-take inquiry.

Hello everyone. After extensive reading of FAQs I couldn't find anywhere that could answer a question that I have in mind. I am 5'7'' and 120 pounds. Due to an early childhood disease I had a kidney surgically removed leaving me with one kidney. To be more specific, I had Wilm's Tumor a type of kidney cancer. Throughout the years my kidney has mutated twice the size of a normal kidney.

As I'm told, I am now aware that protein or an increase in protein in your diet can put a strain on the kidneys. I want to build muscle and get more serious about weightlifting. Would anyone here be able to ball park about how many grams of protein my kidney would be able to process without straining it too much?

I know I should see a Nephrologist about this kind of thing, but I was curious as to see what the members of Wanna Be Big would have to say about it first. Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Miso; 01-14-2010 at 10:33 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Any advice you get here would be based on the body's ability to process protein without medical restriction.. 1 kidney may be a seriously preclude your ability to do a high(er) protein diet.. I wouldn't rely on anyone's advice here & doing so could prevent you from being alive.

Brief googling gave me the following:

http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/kudiseas...rykidney/#what

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    Any advice you get here would be based on the body's ability to process protein without medical restriction.. 1 kidney may be a seriously preclude your ability to do a high(er) protein diet.. I wouldn't rely on anyone's advice here & doing so could prevent you from being alive.

Brief googling gave me the following:ubs/solitarykidney/#what[/url]
    Yeah, I know it's dangerous, I was just curious to see what WBB had to say about it. Maybe other people would know what I'm going through too. I'm not doing anything until I see a Nephrologist though.

As twm said, ultimately your condition and the advice of the medical professionals involved in your care will dictate the answer.

What is your protein intake now?

Clearly your healthy kidney has developed to cope, it's just impossible to tell what that means with regards increased protein intake.

I assume you're asking because you or your kidney are not experiencing difficulty on your present intake.

The oft quoted 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight is a decent guide, although I'd say that you can probably get away with less and ensure your calorie intake is met through additional carbs and fats.

Based on your weight, in terms of absolute amounts, that's not much (120g), so whether that is a lot relative to your renal function only you or your doctors can tell.

Just be assured that you will be able to get bigger with out mega-dosing protein.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
    Last edited by Daniel Roberts; 01-16-2010 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Roberts View Post
    What is your protein intake now?
    I assume you're asking because you or your kidney are not experiencing difficulty on your present intake.
    If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.
    I'm not currently gauging my protein intake. I usually have a deck of cards sized portion of meat for lunch and dinner (Turkey, Chicken, Beef, etc.). And for breakfast I usually eat eggs. I also drink a lot of milk.

I suppose I should have specified that I am a beginner for bodybuilding.

I've also heard one of the signs of your kidneys struggling is when there's bubbles in your urine after urinating. Is this true? Not to go into TMI but I have not experienced that yet. I just don't want to over do it. And roughly 1g per pound is a very helpful tip. Knowing that I don't need to mega-dose on protein either is a great relief. I'm probably going to do lower intakes just in case. Thanks a lot for the info.

@Holto:
    Thanks as well for the information. I will definitely look into it. It's nice to know a good place on where to start. I've never really known much about the amino-acids and how or why the body processes them the way they do. But, great information guys, thanks again.

I also want to bring some of this advice to my Nephrologist to see if it's actually true or not. Not saying anyone's information is inaccurate, but because I'm receiving from this community, I would like to give back to it.
    Last edited by Miso; 01-16-2010 at 08:51 PM.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    I'll just chime in to say that the average lifter eats way more protein than they need. (Which is the way to do it assuming good total health.)

You will do fine on lower intakes. I've been way over 200lbs and taking in less than 150grams/day. Do some reading on the amino-acid pool and how your body regulates it. Implementing some strategy regarding timing will allow very low protein intakes with great results.

This should not hinder your gains at all.

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------