The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Problem with squats tonight

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.. I did legs tonight at the gym and I went through 3 sets with 255 and followed up with trying a 20 rep squat with 185 when all of sudden on my 13th rep I feel a pop in my temple and all of a sudden I have one of the worst headaches in my life..

I had to drive home instantly and its been a few hours and alot of aspirin later and I'm just now starting to feel a little bit better.. My head is throbbing as I write this

Has anyone else ever experienced this???

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Minus the pop, yes... If you have the headache for a couple days you might want to see a doctor.

Disclaimer...I am not a doctor, so don't listen to me.
    "There are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." --James Madison, speech to the Virginia Ratifying Convention, 1788

Wannabebig Member
    I think I'll end up being alright... I have just never had one so suddenly or a pop like that.

I'm talking instantly had a serious migraine. I felt like I was having an aneurism

Wannabebig Member
    I would go see a doctor if you have a concern about it, I mean. Who knows? Stranger things have happened.

Take a few days off and go and see the doctor. It's probably nothing but it's ALWAYS better to be safe than sorry.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

Banned
    Nothing that extreme, but I did a heavy set of deadlifts once, felt a kind of click between my eyes and my nose started bleeding.

I had been getting nose bleeds quite a bit around that time tho, so it was likely the scab coming lose again because of increased blood pressure. I felt hardcore tho and people in the gym stared in awe.

Seriously tho, your thing sounds weird and scary.

Maybe with something youre blood pressure being higher then usual? Its not like running for a constant amount of time at a constant pace youre going from rest to pushing yourself as hard as you can just like revving the engine really high and watching the oil pressure jump.

youll prob be fine, but id see the doctor just to be sure. maybe a popped blood vessel or something from all the pressure building up. I never thought it could happen till i went to a powerlift meet, guys get bloody noses sometimes, and eyes get all bloodshot etc from pressure building up.

but with that said, im no doctor, so id go see one just to be sure.
    Andrew
    Height 6'8 Weight 310 and a little chubby. goal... leaner 310ish
    5-3-1 program started September 2009
    Bests as of 2/20/10 (workout bests)
    Squat - 445 (375x12)
    Bench -320 315x2(3/29/2010 post workout)
    Dead - 445 (495 hitched) (435x8 4/3/10)

Banned
    its probebly nothing it has happened to me as well.

Wannabebig Member
    well just to update on the situation...

I ended up goin to the hospital tonight bc I still have a headache from last night and they made me take a ct scan but it came out negative

They couldnt explain what happened other than the altitude I live at now, and putting my body under alot of stress.

So hopefully this headache will be gone by tomorrow

Wow man... Good luck with that. I hope it ends up being nothing. I'd be pretty scared if "pop" then I had a headache....
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Google Exercise induced headache. I'm really surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Happened to me one time when inclining benching in college. Hurt afterwards for close to a week.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Google Exercise induced headache. I'm really surprised no one has mentioned this yet.
    i think the "pop" he felt in his temple was what threw most of us off.
    Andrew
    Height 6'8 Weight 310 and a little chubby. goal... leaner 310ish
    5-3-1 program started September 2009
    Bests as of 2/20/10 (workout bests)
    Squat - 445 (375x12)
    Bench -320 315x2(3/29/2010 post workout)
    Dead - 445 (495 hitched) (435x8 4/3/10)

its called an exertion headache. your forcing more blood through your vessels than they can handle so as a result they stretch and you get pain in your head. i used to take an aspirin before i worked out (not sure if its safe but it worked). the problem went away on its own over time. this is one reason why i always recommend gradual progression to ease your body into the stresses of heavy lifting. sometimes the rest of your body cant keep up with what your muscles can do. if it continues, try drinking more water, or easing a little bit of weight off of your lifts (i know it sucks but its better than getting an aneurysm), or try the aspirin idea. it should go away on its own, good luck

Wannabebig Member
    well its not like I'm new to weightlifting and I did do an extensive warm up... BUT i did skip legs for one week and I went after work at night without eating and probably didnt have enough water...

The doctor said it is ok to take aleve or advil before a session so I might try that before legs next time

I appreciate everyone's support and analysis of the situation, hopefully it can bring light to other people so it can be prevented bc I still have a headache and I am on day 3... Doctor said it could even last up to ten days!