The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Strategic Timing of Junk Food

So every once in a while, I'm unable to fight off a junk food craving and I might have a candy bar or a few Oreo cookies just to quench it. The problem is, the times I give in might not be the most ideal times... on a rest day, before bed, etc.

So is it a good idea to occasionally use my immediate post-workout simple carb to satisfy these cravings. As an example, I'll usually throw some honey in my whey protein shake after a workout, but instead of the honey, would it be fine to have a candy bar and a protein shake?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

how much fat is in that candy bar? enough to bog down absorption of protein?

Wannabebig Member
    I'd love to hear the answer to this. When would be the best time (the time that the least fat would be stored) for eating sweets or greasy food?

Everyone has cravings and enjoying your favorite food or sweets ocassionally is fine because you want a balance in your life and not be too obsessed with diet as that can cause problems down the road. There is no perfect time to eat junk food regardless and how can you actually enjoy it if you are constantly thinking it will make you fat.

The only thing I recommend is to never binge and loose control as many do because their current diet is not sustainable. Junk food is junk food and if you decide to have just enjoy it and go back to eating healthy your next meal. No one should be extremely strict and look at having a non-diet food as something terrible. Enjoy life and just be smart about it and get away from if I have it at this time during the day it will make a difference, it won't!

Unless you are trying to loose fat or get ready for a contest its ok to have a treat every now and then.

Wannabebig Member
    That really is fantastic advice, Acress. Your diet outlook has a great psychological foundation.

Thanks!

Wannabebig Member
    Acress... great advice on the whole. I think those are wide words in general.

That being said, from what I understand "get away from if I have it at this time during the day it will make a difference, it won't" isn't entirely true. Doesn't the body burn up a ton more of what you eat right after you work out? On top of that, doesn't the body REQUIRE simple carbs right after we workout (which can't really be said for any other time in the day)? This was my thinking in the whole strategy of leveraging those junk food carbs by eating them at the end of your workout.

Anyway... I understand and appreciate the spirit of what you are saying and think it is really good advice on the whole.

Oh, and

"Unless you are trying to loose fat..."

I fit into that category, so I guess the original question would still apply to me.
    Last edited by KramerTM; 01-13-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by malkore View Post
    how much fat is in that candy bar? enough to bog down absorption of protein?
    This was a consideration I didn't even really think of. I'm somewhat new to diet/workouts/etc., so I forgot that it was important to have PURE simple carbs and PURE whey protein after a workout for protein absorption purposes.

The candy bar in question happened to be a peanut butter based one, which I assume slows down the protein absorption, to your point above.

The candy bar has 43g carbs (29g sugar), which seemed about right, but it also has 11g of Fat.

is having a candy bar or a few oreos really that significant? we are talking 150-250 calories here, not a whole cake.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Acress View Post
    Unless you are trying to loose fat or get ready for a contest its ok to have a treat every now and then.
    Great advice overall, but I have to put a bit of a point of contention on this last part- If you are fitting a candy bar into the rest of your macronutrients, it doesn't really make a difference when it comes to losing fat.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Great advice overall, but I have to put a bit of a point of contention on this last part- If you are fitting a candy bar into the rest of your macronutrients, it doesn't really make a difference when it comes to losing fat.
    Can you explain this a little more?

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeMuscley View Post
    I'd love to hear the answer to this. When would be the best time (the time that the least fat would be stored) for eating sweets or greasy food?
    Earlier in the day before a workout.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I agree that it'd be a good idea to take it before a workout. But don't sweat it too much, especially if it fits into your macros anyway.
    ain't nuttin but a peanut.

You will have gotten stronger when the weight that feels heavy is actually heavier than the weight that feels heavy now. Then the weight that feels heavy now will be a warmup for the weight that feels heavy then. But the weight will always feel heavy or you're not lifting enough weight. Clear? -Rippetoe

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBeMuscley View Post
    Thanks, Rich.
    Sure
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    If you are fitting a candy bar into the rest of your macronutrients, it doesn't really make a difference when it comes to losing fat.
    To an extent that is true, but you won't build a quality physique and repair the muscle tissue with processed and zero quality foods like a candy bar. If that were tru then you could have a candy bar at every meal as long as your calories are the same.

These kind of statements will not help individuals down the road and they will have the mentality that eating junk food is no big deal as long as you don't go over your calories. We still want to preach health and wellness.

I understand your mentality but that is too broad of a statement that many will take wrong.

To an extent that is true, but you won't build a quality physique and repair the muscle tissue with processed and zero quality foods like a candy bar. If that were tru then you could have a candy bar at every meal as long as your calories are the same.

These kind of statements will not help individuals down the road and they will have the mentality that eating junk food is no big deal as long as you don't go over your calories. We still want to preach health and wellness.

I understand your mentality but that is too broad of a statement that many will take wrong.
    in general terms, what is so bad about "junk" food? say you have a guy who lifts, has his macros all worked out, and decides to get 1000 of calories per day from junk food. how would his results differ from someone who hit those same macros but with "clean" foods only?

Besides being just poor quality you need nutrient dense foods to aide in the recovery and reparation of broken down muscle tissue and junk food doesn't have protein that has a high biological value, quality carbs that replenish glyogen, and good fats that help with numerous things.

To even try to justify that junk food is a good choice when it comes to health, fat loss, or whatever is absolutely ridiculous. If anyone thinks they need a candy bar or whatever that just comes down to immaturity. Now wanting and needing are 2 different things.

Besides being just poor quality you need nutrient dense foods to aide in the recovery and reparation of broken down muscle tissue and junk food doesn't have protein that has a high biological value, quality carbs that replenish glyogen, and good fats that help with numerous things.

To even try to justify that junk food is a good choice when it comes to health, fat loss, or whatever is absolutely ridiculous. If anyone thinks they need a candy bar or whatever that just comes down to immaturity. Now wanting and needing are 2 different things.
    i'm not attempting to justify anything, just trying to learn for my own benefit.

i understand a candy bar isn't going to give you your protein for the day. but again, say my macros are worked out appropriately, i'm getting my protein in, but 1000 calories per day is going to come from candy bars. i'm trying to learn what actual effect this would have on someone. what is wrong with the carbs in a candy bar? what is wrong with the fat? how are they different from "clean" foods? why does this matter?

it's easy to say a candy bar is unhealthy and leave it at that. what about them, specifically, makes them so bad?

Quote Originally Posted by feardaram View Post
    i'm not attempting to justify anything, just trying to learn for my own benefit.

i understand a candy bar isn't going to give you your protein for the day. but again, say my macros are worked out appropriately, i'm getting my protein in, but 1000 calories per day is going to come from candy bars. i'm trying to learn what actual effect this would have on someone. what is wrong with the carbs in a candy bar? what is wrong with the fat? how are they different from "clean" foods? why does this matter?

it's easy to say a candy bar is unhealthy and leave it at that. what about them, specifically, makes them so bad?
    They will cause your blood sugar levels to be unstable all day and you will be more likely to store fat from the nutrients you take in. Quality should be first and foremost.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    They will cause your blood sugar levels to be unstable all day and you will be more likely to store fat from the nutrients you take in. Quality should be first and foremost.
    This is correct, you wouldn't want to be taking in stuff with a lot of simple sugars throughout the day.

But my suggestion was more directed at the OP who suggested eating a candy bar before his workout. If he is getting all needed macronutrients elsewhere, it doesn't matter if that 200 calories is coming from a banana and a slice of whole wheat toast or a candy bar. Since his body is going to need all that glucose during the workout, the blood sugar issue is really not an issue at all. However, I would not suggest eating a candy bar before bedtime.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

so how does that relate to the idea of calories in vs calories out? say i eat 2800 calories/day, with 1000 coming from candy bars. i burn 2800 per day. say 500 calories of the candy bar comes right before i go to sleep. i could gain weight this way, even with calories in/out being equal?

Quote Originally Posted by feardaram View Post
    so how does that relate to the idea of calories in vs calories out? say i eat 2800 calories/day, with 1000 coming from candy bars. i burn 2800 per day. say 500 calories of the candy bar comes right before i go to sleep. i could gain weight this way, even with calories in/out being equal?
    If just weight gain or weight loss is the goal there isnt a big deal. For health, quality of life, physique development, etc... it makes a huge difference.

For the next 4-5 weeks try getting in just half your calories from junk food and see how you feel and look. That should be enuff to show you the difference.

I got a lot of my kcals from McDonalds when I was bulking and my physique looked great :P

I think it comes down to total macros and kcals. Typically, you really could fit a candy bar in there.

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    I got a lot of my kcals from McDonalds when I was bulking and my physique looked great :P

I think it comes down to total macros and kcals. Typically, you really could fit a candy bar in there.
    Some people can do that due to genetic factors. I know guys and girls that could eat a bucket of fried chicken and ice cream everday and stay shredded, but that doesn't mean everyone can do that by any means. You guy have to understand the message your sending out as well.

People could read this and think its totally fine and then wonder why they are not losing fat or look terrible. I've been in this industry for 15 years now and have seen a lot and people will always look to justify things because they think its what they need when it what they want more than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by KramerTM View Post
    This was a consideration I didn't even really think of. I'm somewhat new to diet/workouts/etc., so I forgot that it was important to have PURE simple carbs and PURE whey protein after a workout for protein absorption purposes.

The candy bar in question happened to be a peanut butter based one, which I assume slows down the protein absorption, to your point above.

The candy bar has 43g carbs (29g sugar), which seemed about right, but it also has 11g of Fat.
    Honestly I'm being a bit extreme here, but I'm one of 'those people' that feels like any junk food is a 'garbage in/garbage out' situation. Mostly I wanted you to really think about your food choices.

I would, however, not be one to eat a snickers shortly before bed. A couple hours before training would be more my style.