The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Baby Got Back Routine Questions

Hi guys im currently on the SS routine. Been on it for awhile and ive deloaded a couple of times with my excersizes and i feel the last deload comin on and i decided that my time as a begginer is coming to an end and ive been thikning about the BGB routine. Now my time as a SS User has gotten me pretty big but i want to be bigger(understatement). So i wanted to focus on my back because i think a well built back is the coolest thing ever.Now my question is, will the BGB routine help build my biceps because i think they are the most underdeveloped part of me? Thanks in advance
    Height: 5,11
    Weight: 194 (Dieting to 9-10% BF )
    BF%: 13

The only thing wrong in this world is religon.

-Kevin

Why doesn't God heal amputees?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Yes BGB will grow your biceps more than SS has. There are at least 100reps a week that either directly or indirectly work your bi's. If you are really done making linear gains on SS then BGB is a great next step.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    Yes BGB will grow your biceps more than SS has. There are at least 100reps a week that either directly or indirectly work your bi's. If you are really done making linear gains on SS then BGB is a great next step.
    This.

BGB will definitely work your Bi's from hitting back twice a week.
    5'10" 196lbs as of 6/10/11
    Best lifts B 365/ S 425/ DL 545/ OHP 200
    Goals: B 385+ S 450+ DL 600+ OHP 225+
    Progression Pics->http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122375
    Journal with vids/pics http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...07#post2364507

Thanks for the info guys ya my biceps are pretty small compared to the rest of my body so ill be sure to eat alot and work the crap out of BGB thanks guys

-Kevin

Hey guys i got one more question i didnt want to make a new thread
    When do you stop doing this routine? do you do it for 8 weeks 12 weeks? Becasue i know when to stop SS because my lifts constantly stall and then thats when you move on but what about routines like BGB? When do you know to stop them? Or is it just when i get bored with it or something like that?

-Kevin

im just wondering i saw where you gained 5 lbs on a bulk. were you bulking the whole time you did ss??

when i was doing SS,i ate tons of food i went from 145-175 in about 4 months.

im just saying if you have only gained 5lbs on SS, your not done. youre gains are stopping cause you arent eating enough.
    ive noticed with my body if i slack on my eating i will not go up on weights in squats or deads. and my bench will stall. but i do lift pretty heavy
    Last edited by tcooper; 01-16-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    After you build some strength, it's not a bad idea to switch to a routine that has you in the gym one more day per week, has more volume, and is designed to add mass. Although plateauing is not a reason to switch routines, and may actually be a sign that other things in your training are deficient (diet, rest, etc.) and not the routine itself, you're not necessarily making a mistake switching to BGB or to any routine for that matter.

It all depends on your goals. If your goal is to get stronger and you're continuing to get stronger on SS then there is no need to stop. If your goal is to build mass and you're doing that with BGB (in the 12th, 28th, 92nd week), then keep doing it if you want to.

These things are up to you and only you know how to calibrate training to align results with goals.

Lol no no i wasnt eating alot as i wanted to lose some more fat and i just recently started eating a crap load so the bulk is fairly new but SS isnt so new ive been on it for awhile.I was able to lose fat pretty well and have some linear weight progression in my lifts but then i wanted to get bigger so i started to eat more aka bulk

Thanks progress yes my goal is to build more mass. So what do you mean do BGB in the 12th 28th 92nd week?
    Last edited by pigout789; 01-16-2010 at 02:17 PM.

-Kevin

When to stop? When you stop making gains. If you ever feel like you've hit a plateau I would try to deload for a week. I was on BGB for a year before switching things up. I'd say I built a decent back while following BGB
    Last edited by xtian; 01-16-2010 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pigout789 View Post
    Thanks progress yes my goal is to build more mass. So what do you mean do BGB in the 12th 28th 92nd week?
    I was trying to explain that you can continue using the routine, regardless of the week, if you are making gains.
    Last edited by Progress; 01-16-2010 at 06:07 PM.

ya thats what i was thinking And ya xtian you have a very impressive back i only hope one day id have one like yours But im gonna work hard and beat the crap out of BGB thanks for all of your replies guys

-Kevin

I understan wanting to build mass. But what are your numbers? If you have a weak bench,squat and deadlift why go to a more complex routine? Just doesn't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by tcooper View Post
    I understan wanting to build mass. But what are your numbers? If you have a weak bench,squat and deadlift why go to a more complex routine? Just doesn't make sense
    He'll be able to build a respectable bench, squat and deadlift while on BGB. Nothing wrong with trying out a more complex routine. The man wants more back mass and he will surely attain those goals while on this routine. What exactly makes this routine so complex? The movements or the layout? He'll learn lots from this routine. I sure did. I was a big time noob when I first started this.

I am going to say something Blasphemous! SS programming is not ideal. Period. However what it does best is teach a new lifter that linear progression on heavy compound lifts will make you big and strong overall! Also if you are smart enough to buy the book and do the lifts,between a great breakdown of each movement and pure repetition you will learn how to properly do 5 important lifts including the big three of squat,dead and bench.
    It will not make you a bodybuilder,powerlifter or OLY lifter,but it can provide a foundation to allow you to become any of the three.

There are lots of programs that will make a new or just past new lifter big as long as they know how to do the lifts and trully believe the Big three are important. I am on SS and have been bored to death and stagnant with it lately. Went to a variant of it and am excited again,if a lifter is not enthused by their routine they are doomed for failure.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that itís very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

my numbers for 3x5 are Bench 200 even squat is at 235 and dead is at 290 my numbers are begining to stall and ive deloaded at least two to three times on almost all lifts and you know as skinny said im bored as hell with this i was at some low numbers when i started so i think i came a long way so ya know whats the harm of switching to a routine that seems more fun while knocking out some of my goals

-Kevin

oh man nothing is wrong with switching routines. your numbers are fine. but if you had a 150 bench 200 squat etc... i would say you can still milk some gains out of ss + food.

SS does get old, i got to the point to where i couldnt squat heavy 3x a week anymore. and i cant even squat heavy and DL heavy in the same day. i mean i can but its very taxing.

i by no means am trying to down you for switching, if you milked it all you can thats great!

i did BGB for a while, its a great routine. i just dont have the time to go 4x a week. if youre looking for a good 3 day routine try bill stars 5x5. its awesome, you get variation throughout the week on sets/reps and get good accessory work.

alot of ppl say texas method is the way to go after SS, ive tried it and hated every moment of it. you want to talk about boring try TM
    Last edited by tcooper; 01-16-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Well ya i looked up texas method and ya it does look a little boring. But ya im gonna switch soon enough so ya thanks for helpin out with all my questions guys.

-Kevin

Here's my opinion on changing up routines. I think it's more beneficial for the lifter to modify set/rep schemes than it is to change exercises. Your body is quicker to adapt to different movements than it is to varying set/reps.

This brings up my next point and its that you can't modify the set/reps of SS without thoroughly destroying its efficacy.

If you don't want to do SS don't, especially if your primary goal is hypertrophy.