The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    sticking strictly with oatmeal and brown rice but will be picking up malto when i head to the vitamin shoppe.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Check out your local home brew store. I get $1/lb on dextrose/maltose locally. Not sure how Vitamin Shoppe compares.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    had to really buckle down on food prep recently...not been getting ENOUGH food lately and it's showing in my training. Had to really dig in deep to get some ferocity back! It's working and switching to beef and chicken instead of fish for awhile will help.. when I gag'd on my fourth bite yesterday it was time to find a new protien source lean or not. It's not the fact that it didn't taste good..i ate 4lbs of fish in a couple days time and that's normal! Now I'm enjoying some prime rib and my rice HAHA and still dropped a half lb this morning! I'm getting very close and it's looking like I'll probably be around 220 with the way I look versus the weight I sit at for BF wise. Nitor is still the starting dose...and doing its job well. That is one product I am really enjoying and definately paying be dividends for me. Intensity running is taking a back seat to steady state until my hips and ass heal back up..i knew i was pushing it but apparenlty my body wants to walk more at the moment than run... I FEEL great...just gotta get back to being just as super strict as when i started to keep this train moving.. .consistency is key.

CONGRATS! I've been eating a lot of tuna this week and it's getting old, changing it up with some red meat here now and some chicken soon.

B/c of the snow this week, I was in town and able to follow the diet without trying to use restaurant food. I lost another 2-3 lbs, now down to 267-8.

Been eating something like the following this week, usually with tuna when listed:

Meal 1: 2 scoops Nitrean in 1 cup skim milk

Meal 2: 1/2 cup brown rice with either a 4.5oz package of Tuna Creations or 5-6oz steak.

Meal 3: 1/2 cup brown rice with either a 4.5oz package of Tuna Creations or 5-6oz steak.

Meal 4: 3 scoops Opticen in 2 cups of skim milk for a post workout shake on workout days, or 1/2 cup brown rice with either a 4.5oz package of Tuna Creations or 5-6oz steak or protein bars depending on what I'm feeling on non-workout days.

Meal 5: 1/2 cup brown rice with either a 4.5oz package of Tuna Creations or 5-6oz steak.

Meal 6 (optional): 2 scoops Nitrean in 1 cup skim milk or 1/2 cup brown rice with 5-6oz steak.

I also throw in some veggies here and there. And continue taking my Results either in the morning or pre-workout.
    Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 02-11-2010 at 11:34 AM.

HAHA that's the way you do it right there! I'm a huge milk whore but i've done without dairy for a long time..skipping the restaurant goodies and doing it at home shows you what's actually in the food you get out versus at home. I know it's obvious but it's funny when you can SEE the difference in the smallest things! Your diet looks good too! I love me some tuna.. might have to get me some chunk white and some sourdough crackers and have a little "tea party" HAHA!

cheat day i'm holding out for a pizza! LOL And a few brews!

weighed in at 248.5 this morning..lost almost a whole lb yesterday with only 5 meals in. Killed the workout again and did my time on the cardio machine. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with steady state for awhile. I don't want to do more HIIT just incase. Based upon my numbers that I took yesterday I can be 10%bf at 230. Sounds like alot to most people but i feel like a scrawny ass at that weight. I wanted so much to be huge... but this is better for me. I would like to slowly bulk back up to 242 after getting down in weight and see how I look with 12 extra SOLID lbs on me. Just gotta get down there first! Meal timing is huge when it comes to intensity. I noticed too that I shouldn't kepe eating as much if i feel FULL already. I tend to have a tiny bit of weight loss if I go just a tiny bit hungry or feel a little empty after the day is over even after making my macros. Those of you that diet know what i'm talking about...

247 even this am after a weekend of insanity! had everything from bbq to wedding cake to lasagna to stew and cornbread!!!

i watched my portions but still ended up losing weight eating what I wanted over the weekend! Today I'm back on the bus! I'm having a hard time making myself eat though..i'm just not hungry. I'm going to have to make 2 shakes a day like i have been just ot make sure I don't shrink up and maybe even a tiny shake before bed. I'm leaning out very well but JEEZ i cant put the food away anymore and I'm afraid to keep taking stimulants just incase I end up burning myself up. Nitor is still my staple but I'm not daring to up the dosage and I'm taking it VERY slow until I'm around 10-12%.

Appetite stimulants possibly? or is this just part of the game? this is all new to me..i'm up for suggestions

it finallyhappened...i've been having to force myself to eat...and I just had half a naked baked potato and it came right back up. None of the chicken..just the potato but DAMN each meal is taking me 30-45 minutes to eat and it's only teh size of a cereal bowl! I'm going to have to switch to more shakes..period....not because I can't handle the food load..it's because I can't MAKE myself eat! It's scaring the hell outta me becasue I don't want to burn up all my lean body mass along with the fat. I wasn't even feeling anything and then all of a sudden..no more potato.

Missing my nitrean..i'm going to have to order some more tonight. That stuff never gets old and I can handle it all day everyday. The chocolate will definately give me a solid break from everything else too..

245.8!!! Oooorah!!!

ketchup makes EVERYTHING edible..no matter how hard it is to eat something just a litlte ketchup is saving my ass. Been getting on average 5 meals a day now and I need to step that up but it's all food and no shakes. Still have been slammed with work and by the time I get done all the places are closed ot pick up a small tub before I order more nitrean. Feeling solid, workouts are going great and it's really starting to show! Energy is still stable thanks to nitor and I'm keeping with the interval runs for the time being since steady state is out of hte picture due to time constraints. So far so good! Hpping to be 242 or under come next week!

Hell yea! I can't believe I just found this thread. I looked in the Journals section for a log but didn't find one.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post
    ketchup makes EVERYTHING edible..no matter how hard it is to eat something just a litlte ketchup is saving my ass. Been getting on average 5 meals a day now and I need to step that up but it's all food and no shakes. Still have been slammed with work and by the time I get done all the places are closed ot pick up a small tub before I order more nitrean. Feeling solid, workouts are going great and it's really starting to show! Energy is still stable thanks to nitor and I'm keeping with the interval runs for the time being since steady state is out of hte picture due to time constraints. So far so good! Hpping to be 242 or under come next week!

Nice job man! Try those different flavored Tuna Creations. They taste decent heated up with the brown rice.

I lost another 2 lbs this week, even after strong cheating over Valentine's weekend. 265lbs now, 15 lbs more to go!

this week has been a badass one thus far! Back is really going in the right direction and am really hoping this accident was a blessing in disguise because it's really forcing me to focus on form and technique to keep it tight before I get a chance to get under heavy weight for awhile. My diet is solid too...though i'm switching ot more shakes..the food isn't that bad and i'm getting creative in the kitchen..with things like ketchup..and asian mustard HAHA! had 3 meals thus far and I feel really good about it! I bench today too and have been playing with carb time so I'll return and let you guys know how it all works out. Interval runs are getting easier.. I'm having to slow down my interval pace becasue it's "overloading" treadmills..i was told i need to run slower on them if i'm going to use them thanks to my current bodyweight. I am running 10 at the top and 4 at teh bottom and stil hanging around 24 minutes depending on how i feel along with increasing the interval time to 90-120 seconds instead of only a minute. Legs are loving it and it's helping recovery instead of hindering it thus far. I'll get a new shot up of how I'm looking...staying tight to the right foodies has me feeling as good on it and confident as every. Need to drop 15-20 more to be exceedingly happy. I'd love to also end up in all this with a 1600lbs raw total at 220ish when it's all said and done. Waiting on clients to buy back in so i can order more nitrean..at the moment I'm using this store brand that i dont' care for but can't go without it unfortunately.

GREAT JOB BUCK!

THANKS FOR DROPPIN BY UN!

242lbs EVEN THIS MORNING! WE'RE IN A NEW CLASS! body is looking REALLY good now and starting to see some old lines i haven't seen in years. Being REALLY strict and sticking to my protocols and it's paying off. interval runs only and I'm about 5lbs out of being in the teens bf wise for the first time in my life. RIDE IT TIL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!

Wannabebig Member
    Congrats, great job man!

my body can't apparenlty decide what it's doing..some days it looks GREAT and others it looks off...but i'm steadily sitting between 245-247 again. Debating on wether or not to do two shorter interval runs a day morning and evening to push past this point. I'm only 10-12 away from my next goal. Interval runs are blowing my calves the hell up too! really hoping to get this all situated by the end of march where I can just slow down the quicker loss and really focus on dialing it down into the low teens to single digits. Took a few pics..now just need to get them up. Back is looking STUPID at least in my opinion..the rest of me is getting along well enough.

back hasn't been bothering me either! looking forward to another good workout week!

got some new pics! just gotta find a way to post'em again!

135xa bazillion
    185x5
    225x8
    275x5
    315x5
    365x5 solid..and met the goal for the week. Last rep was technically the best one!

pullups for 5 sets of 20

jm presses 3 sets of 15 with 135/145/155 and slid my grip out abit to minimize the grinding I was experiencing in my right shoulder and turned out it really pumped up my triceps more than the previous grip! Love this exercise. Seems like having a heavy shoulder day isn't having much negative effect on the benching day. I'm eating plenty and have plenty of recovery time between but sometimes you just don't know until you've had a few weeks running on the same program. The heavy duty shoulder work sure seems to continue instilling the thought that it is building up the shoulders structurally and removing alot of issues that I used to have. ZERO pain anymore, no clicking or popping, etc. All good things and with the weight loss and heavy lifting still prevalent it's a sign for good things to come. Bench doesn't need to be going UP..just stay low to mid 400's at the lightest bodyweight possible for my meet total to say solid. If wednesday's lowerbody workout doesn't leave my back aching I'll end up hitting 265 for a few push press reps hopefully..REALLY taking this day by day. Interval runs are done in a depleted state in the AM and recovery time has been shortened to half and will continue this way to bust through this plateau and see how effective it becomes. As long as my strength and LBM still stay the same and the fat continues to diminish I'll keep it this way before implementing it twice a day.

Man I can't tell you how awesome this is. I'm gonna start on the same kind of diet, same meal every day, same shakes and see what we can't come up with. Looking awesome man. Great stuff.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

been a rough week on the scale. Bodyfat however is still the lowest it's ever been and I'm really liking the way I'm still looking. The fight to get into the 230's is over...at 239.7 this am. I sat in the low 240's with 240 exactly hitting the scales a few times and couldn't push past it. I've cut all carbs out pwo now and am not eating a couple hours before bed unless it's pwo. The last few pounds are always the hardest to lose..but they're also the most productive. THe initial weightloss is always easy for everyone...getting that last little bit off (in my case 10-15lbs) but to do so you learn not only more ABOUT how critical your diet is but also the work you're doing while on it. Numbers count..and just like are, the closer attention you pay to details the better picture you can paint of the overall situation. This situation being the belly fat still attached to me. I am seeing the first sign of abs in years. I'm thinking I'll look pretty damn solid at 15% bodyfat and then fight my way down to 10% for the first time ever in my life. My back has been giving me fits though making sleep hard and workouts even harder. I am however pushing through it and doing alot of intervals not only on the treadmill but also in the mornings with medicine balls and bodyweight exercises. I am thinking about upping the workload with a interval run/ 30 minute intensive complex mid day and my usual workouts during the weeks. I'm still sticking with my current m/w/th/sat workouts but am thinking of going m/t and th/fri with the weekend to rest.

I added in the extra dose of nitor doing 2 pills twice a day instead of just one and it keeps me from feeling sluggish and blah...though late at night..carb free..i've been getting a little "nutty".

blended protien sources are the **** fyi...nitrean is a blessing. Especially when it comes to craving somethign sweet..i get my chocolate in a shake.

I'm going to do 3 short intensive workouts a day and see how it turns out.

did my interval run in the am..

did some complexes after lunch

doing my shoulder workout today..and so far i feel like new money! REALLY liking how these high intensity workouts feel!

took naproxen for my back and I don't even notice it now...meaning it's not as severe as I though if some OTC pain reliever on the lowest dose makes it no longer a problem. here's to stepping on the scale monday to a new me! OOOOORAH!

My coach put me on a strict minimal carb diet and I'm loving this stuff. Same meals everyday, same foods, it's completely easy and awesome results. I'm down 8 pounds so far since I started with him.

Hope the back's feeling better brother. What part of Texas are you from? (I may have asked that already somewhere, but I don't remember your response.)
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

fort worth homie! HAHA

glad to see you're having some success! stick with it man it's definately worth it! Atlarge is having a sale on nitor too if you're looking for a solid fat burner! **** is awesome!

Where do you work out at? I recently starting training at Metroflex in Arlington. If you're ever there let me know man. I'm currently in Rowlett/Mesquite, not too far.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

i train out of anytime fitness over in colleyville..since I contract my personal training company out of there I get to workout there for free and it's 24/7 lol I hvaen't been to metroflex in forever..i'm not hardcore enough anymore since I hurt my back .