Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My diet on the road to national champs!

Hybrid View

My diet on the road to national champs!

I didn't know where to post this and didn't want it to get lost in the fray of things down in the online journals but I wanted to give people and idea as to my journey to 220's OR UNDER and my plan to take home a raw national title! My goal is to keep my lifts the same and try to get down as much as possible. I took a look in the mirror and realized that as a strength coach/personal trainer that not only would it be better for me to "look" the part..but prove that I can do as I preach as well to not only motivate my clients, the readers, but myself.

The only supplements I'm taking are Atlarge Nutrition products. My diet is very strict and consists of lean means, quality carbs, and making eating on time everytime a habit! I plan to lay out photos, thoughts and feelings, etc. in this write up and atleast get in here and post once a week.

I started out this thing a couple weeks ago when I realized that I weighed in a whopping 274 and some change and needed to do something about it. Granted my lifting has been going decent but there's no sense in gaining weight or staying heavy for that matter if nothing is coming of it either in the gym or health outside. Blood pressure has been abit high and I've been feeling like a slob most of the time when I'm not in there laying in, under, on, or around the bench. I really liked and was motivated by the read and the work done by our very own WBB member UNHOLY! Dude looks amazing and is an inspiration!

As of today..this morning before having my first meal I weighed in at 259.2lbs. The lowest I've been in a year and I'm ELATED! Every week that goes by I'm steadily dropping weight and the gym weights actually still feel easy if not EASIER due to the quality of food I'm ingesting. I've been sticking only with NITREAN, RESULTS, and NITOR at the moment. I think Nitor is the only thing saving me from becoming a raving lunatic throughout the day. I have sustainable but not high as a kite energy and even when I have a client at 5am and don't see me last one til 10pm I'm still going solid.

The plan is to eat 6-7 times a day...atleast 6 with my meals consisting of protien, oatmeal for breakfast and PWO shakes, and lean meats with brown rice, veggies, etc. The first few days were hard but now I'm finally to a point where all I want is the food that I've required myself to eat and love the way it makes me feel when I eat it. I haven't even touched an energy drink save one low carb monster. I plan to have ONE CHEAT MEAL only when I can't stand it any longer. I had my plan reviewed by the newly crowned IFBB LW women's pro and buddy of mine lori steele who says I'm good as gold with how I laid it out.

My lifting plans are staying the same. Rehab the back and get the squat respectable, keep trying to climb in the deadlift (which shouldn't be a problem and tends to go up when i drop weight), and keep the bench where it's at. If I can keep my numbers and perform in the meets what I do in the gym I should be a top contender. Cardio is very light...steady state for 30-45 mins on an empty stomach in the AM after my first client and at the moment only on my "off" days of lifting until the weight loss stops. I've got plenty of fat on me so I shouldn't feel too crappy for awhile. Somedays I get loopy but nothing typically associated with heavy diets. Here's to it!

I've already had 3 meals today...I'll weigh in again monday morning and stick with the diet as best as possible while i'm out of town this weekend. The layout follows along like this..

meal 1) 2 scoops nitrean and oatmeal shake
    meal 2) 4-6oz of lean meat and brown rice
    meal 3) same as 2
    meal 4) same as 2 with results pre-workout
    meal 5) 2 scoops nitrean in a PWO shake
    meal 6) same as 2
    and meal 7 will be the same as meal 2 unless I start to level out then I'll exhange with a salad or some veggies....

so far this is paying off BIG!

One of the main reasons I'm posting this is to not only hopefully motivate those here just like UNHOLY did me but also give you an idea as to what some of you might go through that have alot to lose and also hold myself accountable making my journey open. I know it's a diet thread..but it's just one piece of this large puzzle I'm trying to put together to make one of my biggest goals this year! Let's see if it's all worth the hardship..Welcome to the pain.
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

Sweet man! Looks like you got a hell of a plan. Stick to it and I'm sure youll be tearing up the comp at Nationals.
    Goal:190lbs @ 10% bf by 2011
    Current Stats
    Height: 5'11
    Weight: 184
    TEXAS GOON HOCKEY!

this am I'm 257..just a couple away from 20lbs lost in under a month and I'm eating plenty of what I need. Tells you alot about the excess that's in your typical means when you don't really care what's going in! Still feeling REALLY strong and sessions are going well. Hopefully, back willing, I'll be able to pull 625-635 tomorrow for a single without it kicking in. If it is...and as good as squatting went last saturday, it should leave me feeling pretty good. I'm getting excited just talking about it. I'll post a picture shortly of the currect state of things..

this picture put things into perspective for me...

You are a good example that losing weight and maintaining/gaining strength is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by thewicked View Post

this picture put things into perspective for me...
    Look at the difference!!
    5'9". 34.-----------------------------BEST LIFTS-----------------------GOALS
    Bodyweight-------------------------BE 280 x 1------------------------BE 300 x 1
    Jan 2009: 151 lbs----------------SQ 365 x 2-----------------------SQ 400 x 1
    Jan 2010: 221 lbs----------------DL 405 x 1------------------------DL 500 x 1
    Current: 214 lbs
    bulking again -- working on my DL

ended up after all my meals today at 231.6 so I'm hoping after 8 hours of sleep to see 229 for the first time in about 8 years? typically i drop a few during the night and would mark another goal knocked out!

benched 350 for 10 easy reps tonight..did alot of pullups with 100lb dumbbell around my waist...2 sets with just 2 fingers for a triple each and squatted 405 for 3 reps without much incident. Need to get that squat back up there but hey do what you can and all things considered with the weight loss, back injury, and DIET i'm pretty satisfied. I'll have a video of the pullups in a few days when i get the memory card back.

Stay positive !!!! Good job
    height: 6' weight offseason 220lbs bodybuilding: 10 years
    2009 contests
    IFPA CAPE COD 3rd place heavy
    IFPA YORTON CUP 2nd place heavy
    NPC ElITE CLASSIC 1st heavy (overall Winner)

TRAINING LOG http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131702

ATLARGE NUTRITION- YOUR #1 CHOICE FOR BODYBUILDING SPORTS SUPPLEMENTS

nice good luck! im on the same journey
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132442

http://fitday.com/fitness/PublicJour...wner=rleopando

Squat - 375
    Bench - 265
    Deadlift - 425

Goal: BW/OH squat 185 LBS x 15 by summer 2010

nice pulling strength, what's your squat at?
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

Quote Originally Posted by JSully View Post
    nice pulling strength, what's your squat at?
    relatively easy 655 before I got hurt. I'll be back there. I think if I nailed it and pulled hard on a good day I could move 675. I'm adding 10lbs to all my deadlifting working weights since I've used the same weights now and gained successfully for 3 months.

pulled 625 no problem after what i think is a little over a month off a bad squat dump...VERY happy!

this week went mildly well. I didn't GAIN anything and didn't have as many problems as I did the couple weeks prior. Seems I've settled in at around 258-259 without the steady state cardio which is now going to be implimented more so since I've hung up. I think too my body is trying to reestablish it's homeostatic balance with the current amount of weight lost before it continues downward so that my internal "numbers" are for my current weight and not a 270+lb body.

I do a heavy AM workout tomorrow so today I'm going to stick with the diet entirely and hit the gym for some recumbent bike television watching. I'm going to stick with fish and chicken for awhile still. I'm too afraid to put any fats outside of the cooking olive oil into my diet at this time to any greater degree. I know I can be mid 250's by the end of this week and 240 or below by the end of february. I squat this week as well so if I can pull out a couple heavy reps still I'll take that as a win. I NEED to get 545 or better moving raw easily for me to be competitive at any weight anyway.

Here's to a new week!

Wannabebig Member
    Good luck dude! How much brown rice are you eating w/ your meals? What are your macro goals for each day?

must eat more
    bump for macros, its amazing that you are able to maintain your lifts with what you are eating!
    nzk

Banned
    I completely missed this thread. Great work. Keep updating!

Wannabebig Member
    Great thread!

As mentioned above, I'd like to know how much brown rice, veggies, oatmeal, and what your macros end up being.

I'm 6'4" 272 lbs right now, have been at a steady weight for several months, and I want to cut to 250 lbs by summer. Starting my cut very soon and I like your meal plan, seems very doable for me.
    Last edited by BuckeyeROC; 01-30-2010 at 12:25 PM.

Banned
    NIce dude keep it up. What do you do for cardio?

breathe.. lol

I'm thinking about doing med ball complexes with the steady state bike stuff for cardio daily. Add a conditioning factor into all things and see how it plays out!

I'm getting 50 grams of protien, 40 grams of carbs, and not enough fat to mention each meal. I'm thinking I'll end up doing only 5 meals a day. 6 is hard to maintain and my strength seems steady still with averaging 5 last week.

A funny thing I noticed...the better quality foods you take in the more your body keeps and the less ****s you take and when you do it comes out like a gel cap sized turd ( exaggerating).

I really dig fish and shrimp tacos with low carb tortillas...

couple fish filets seasoned with fajita seasoning and grilled onions with pico and lime is killer!

oh half cup on the rice sorry guys..or half cup of oatmeal which ends up being about 30 carbs instead when I don't have any rice cooked up or when I can't stand to have another grain in my mouth. I love plain oatmeal though.

things have been going smoothly this week...i haven't stepped on teh scale for fear of self induced male pattern baldness at 25. Things are feeling good though! I've noticed that I'm not as hungry anymore as I was when I initially started this. I like that but at the same time it could be the problem with the lack of weightloss here recently. Not that I'm complaining. Once I hit 247 I've officially dropped 30lbs. I'm looking for a few recipes to help me along the way too. I'm starting to feel comfortable with deviating just abit from the EXACT diet I was following which that too, I'm taking into consideration for my lack of continuous but let's face it...for sanity's sake not having tilapia and brown rice EVERY meal has me not feeling nauseaus everytime I step into the kitchen. Strength seems to still be doing fine and I FEEL good!

I did make a change this morning though that might be a permanent one. I LOVE country breakfest..that greasy spoon **** you find at the local diner that's been there since the great depression. Chicken fried steak, eggs, hashbrowns, you name it! I could eat that everyday and when given the opportunity I used to..HOWEVER..

today I decided to give it a "healthy" approach...

I took my 6 egg whites and shredded up a half cup of potato and did it all in teh skillet with salt and pepper. Let me tell ya..no matter how much it might NOT compare to the good stuff...it was a GREAT alternative. I THINK i might leave a few yolks in next time for a little extra "eggy_ness" but as a whole it was fantastic! Though Im not really sure how many carbs are in a potato I stuck with the original half cup carb dosage

deadlifted today but the back couldn't handle it..

so i just pulled a double overhand triple with 500.

I really need to fix this problem...and I know it has to do with the heavy squatting EVERYTIME! I can't tell you how frustrated it makes me and in turn makes me even more motivated to fix this ****ING PROBLEM!!!

if I can't push press tomorrow I'm going to go ape****..

on a side note..i did 2 miles of a interval run at 3.5 and 8.5 for interval speeds. Felt GOOD and I'm still riding the cardio high! I think intervals might be teh thing for me since it went FAST and wasn't nearly as boring as steady state along with the fact that I got pretty loopy when it was over with in a good way. I'll take it.

On the diet note..my new favorite thing to eat on carb days is chicken tacos. I grill skinless chicken breasts and manage to keep them rather tender and not dry them out to the point I can't tell between them and the briquettes in the grill and then cut'em up! USe a carb smart tortilla and throw in some lime juice, fresh cilantro, and pico and have a helluva time!

two of them has 55 grams of protien, 50 grams of carbs, and 6grams of fat. Not bad!

push press worked out just fine...two day so of back to back hit cardio and rotating carbs has finally broken the curse! 250.4 this morning!!!! I'm ALMOST THERE TO THE 240's!!!! Today is my low carb day too so after today there's no way I won't be there! I'm STOKED!! AtLarge's Nitor is rocking my socks too! Still using only the initial dose and I feel SOLID!

Can't wait for superbowl sunday... i wasn't going ot have a cheat day again until I hit the 240's and if I make it there by then I get a beer and a jersey mike's sub!

still stuck at 250...and I'm gonna have to put in my time on the treadmill today before the superbowl or no beers..period! I just need to get past that damn 250!!! All this does is push me harder..and that proves to me that I CAN and WILL do this..

period

Wannabebig Member
    Good stuff man.

I tried to stick as close to your diet as I could, since I have been working out of town, it's more difficult. But sticking to pretty much grilled chicken, lean meat, and some veggies at restaurants and protein shakes, I lost 2 lbs this past week. 20 more pounds to go!

WTG BROTHER!!! it's slow and steady but it definately pays off! The tighter you are and the more you force the changes the quicker it comes. You learn based upon weekly results how you should manipulate your foods to push it past certain sticking points. I've had to really focus on prep'n food ahead of time but it's working!

249.3lbs this morning!!! HELL YEAH! I'm FINALLY IN THERE!!! 2 more lbs to 30 total lost and I've still got plenty I can get rid of! Not that that makes me happy but it's definately showing on me! I've really buckled down and stuck with the rice, broccoli/veggies, and fish only for the past few days along with doing whatever cardio I can. It's beating me up so it's steady state for awhile. My hips are feeling the effects of constant sprinting unfortunately..but I love being high as a kite when I sprint! Too bad my fatass sounds like a tyrannosauraus tearing ass through the gym on that treadmill.

Yesterday was another "odd ball" day for me. The tighter I'm on the diet the more "strange" i get when it's been a few days until my bodyweight starts to plateau again. I attribute it to my body adjusting it's homeostatic balance (hormones, etc. ) to the new body size and weight. I have some pros and top am's helping me out telling me it's not just me and that it's part of the game. I want this bad.. REAL bad... and I'll do it right..and push myself to breaking and get back up and do it agian the next day.

yesterday's benching was rough..didnt' do well with the usual weight but with the weight loss 11 reps with 315 still isn't HORRIBLE though it doens't make me happy. I still need to have a 1600lb total at 220 or better to be competitive raw. We'll see how it goes. I'm also having feelings of "smallness" when I look in the mirror. I love being a big dude. But if it's not healthy nor attractive I guess it's not worth it. So far so good! Ran outta protien so it's all raw foods and goodies until I get some more in. Protien really saves me in a pinch. I miss the Nitrean for sure when I feel like I can't eat another bite. I hope to be 242 in two weeks. Atleast that's the plan. And closing in on my 220 goal by the end of MARCH. Stick with it guys..it works.. this **** isn't easy..and it's why most of us will never see a stage and the average american is out of shape and fat.