Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Legs!

Awesome squat PR, dood! Why 2 ME lifts in the same day? Is that what Coan's program calls for?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Thanks guys!!

Keith you'll notice on some days I'll squat and Deadlift on the same day. I do that on a couple weeks of the Ed coan cycle when the deadlift weights are light. For example When I had to deadlift 395x3x3 I squatted heavy and Today 420x2 was easy and Box squats are a lot easier on my body than free squats. I'm not going to be able to do that anymore cause these coming weeks are some pretty heavy deads. I am a little eager for this Coan cycle to be over so I can start focusing on my squat again.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Gotcha. When you wrote 420x2 easy, I thought you meant it was easy for a ME attempt, lol. I look forward to the coming heavy weeks.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

2 PRs... 1 day... awesome.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Good work!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Pete the Deadlift wasn't a pr. The Coan cycle has backed my down for awhile last week was 395x3x3 then 420x2 then 445x2 to tie my pr then it takes me up to 470 to hit a PR
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Banned
    thomas your squatting is ridiculously clean..

also, deads + squats in one session is intense. very good work. how high are your projected numbers on this coan cycle?

edit, nm.. so youre planning 470. that would be a damn fine squat.
    Last edited by f=ma; 10-12-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks Tim. The coan cycle goes as follows this week 445x2 then 470x2 then 485x1 then 495x1 then max attempt.

Next time I squat really heavy will be after the coan cycle I plan to hit 5pps.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Pushed the prowler today!! It was Amazing!! Unless you've pushed a prowler you can not imagine how hard they are. **** was intense I have not been in that much physical exhaustion in a very long time! Me and my training partner laid on the field in pain for 10 minutes till we could do anything. I didn't even want to talk I just laid there in pain giving everything I had trying not to throw up. My quads and ass were on fire. And they kept burning long after I stopped it was kinda freaky. I felt pale in the face and dizzy. It was awesome, I can't wait to do it again.

Video
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Wannabebig Member
    Impressive squatting last week Thomas. Looked real smooth. So, obviously you are a proponent of bands and box squats as assistance work for raw squats. I've always heard they didn't have much carryover, but it looks like you've proved that is not true at all.

Quote Originally Posted by ccanter View Post
    Impressive squatting last week Thomas. Looked real smooth. So, obviously you are a proponent of bands and box squats as assistance work for raw squats. I've always heard they didn't have much carryover, but it looks like you've proved that is not true at all.
    Definite carryover! Speed squats with bands have helped me out of the hole big time and teach me how to stay explosive through out the entire movement. Heavy box squats have been great assistance and have taught me to stay tight and upright in the hole as well. This is parallel and low box I've never played around with high box yet.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 10-12-2010 at 08:46 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Haha, that is the exact same way I felt when I pushed the prowler for the first time. Not fun but oh so fun at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Haha, that is the exact same way I felt when I pushed the prowler for the first time. Not fun but oh so fun at the same time.
    While I laid in pain and on fire I was thinking **** this ****. But then once I got better me and my training partner where like "Lets do this again" haha he's my only friend that's crazy enough do this type of stuff with me. It's crazy how long it keeps burning even after you've stopped.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Oh god, I know. It's a must to save it for the end of a workout because the puking feeling didn't go away for about 30 minutes. It's ****ing brutal but so worth it and a lot of fun in a dark way. People referred to me as "sizzling bacon" because I couldn't stop my legs from moving around while I was lying there on the floor.

10-13-10
    Weight: 195.6-Snap!! Yesterday I woke up at 191 lol. I ate till I was in pain right before I went to bed last night.

ME Upper body

There was a smoking hot chick with a lower body sculpted by the gods thick and firm working out right next to my bench. She even squats ATG her form is very sexy. Normally I would like this but I wanted to stay focused. I got a good laugh out of her by saying "Sorry if I'm invading your space but this is my lucky bench" She giggled a lot and said I was fine. Normally I would have tried and flirted between sets but I just wanted to stay focused. I'll talk to her next time I'm not going for a 1rm pr.

Bench
    45x10
    95x5
    135x5
    185x5
    205x3
    235x1
    275x1
    305x1-PR!! Was probably good for 310 maybe 315. I was very happy with the speed off my chest but disappointed with my lockout strength

Video

CG Bench press
    225x5x2

NG pullups
    25x5x2
    bwx5-3 second eccentrics-I need to do these more often I've heard a lot of people having success with growth utilizing negatives

DB Incline bench-Slow and controlled focusing on TUT
    65x10
    65x8
    65x7

I can not get my fucking DB Strength up! I'm always so beat from my ME movement. I had a lot of success last westside cycle starting with DB's first on my RE day which is what I'm going to start doing on my RE days.

Pec Deck-Non lockout reps
    x10x2

Overall a pretty sexy session. I plan on getting some good Shoulder, bis and tris work in on DE upper body.

Now aesthetics wise I've really been trying to bring my lats up. Growth is definite but I still feel they are lagging, what do you guys think? Tips on bringing them up? I'm going to start doing more Negatives on Lat pull and wide grip pullups.

Last edited by ThomasG; 10-13-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Mirin' the 300lb bench man! 315 is right around the corner great work!

Nice bench PR Thomas! 300+ bencher!

You bench like you have a shirt on.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Thanks guys!! I'll smoke 315 some lockout work. Next ME day is Reverse band bench press.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

House Lannister
    I've had a lot of success with wide-grip pullups and close-grip chin when it come to lat growth. That's the one part of my body I'm happy with growth-wise haha. . I don't think your lats look bad though. I see some definite taper going on there. Maybe a front lat spread would show what you're talking about better?

Nice benching!

That 305 was SOLID! Congrats on the PR, your numbers are really climbing up there, eh?! I say you have 310 in you but going for 310 or 315 AFTER 305 wouldn't have been a good idea so smart choice on shutting it down.

With regards to your lats, stay away from wide-grip chins and lat pull downs. Wide grip chins are dumb and anitquated. With a shoulder width grip, you get more ROM which equals more muscle recruitment which equals more growth, and there's less strain on your rotator cuffs. Do shoulder width chins/pullups or chins with a parallel grip and do LOTS of volume. Get in at least 100 reps per week if you want to bring them up. Did you ever see me doing the 1 rep every x seconds to get in as many reps as possible in the shortest amount of time? That's the most effective way for volume. A lot of gymnasts do this and they have incredibly developed lats and bis from this. And who the hell does lat pull-downs these days? People who can't lift their own weight. Don't take the easy way out, pull your own weight as I'm sure you can.

Banned
    thomas awesome benching man. well done

you should have had her do box squats onto you while you do ab bridges. obviously.

I see that you gave that weight a good "spanking" after you got up, was that because you just owned it?

For lats it can be varied as to what makes your back grow, but what Ketih recommended could definitely do you some justice. I've really enjoyed doing lots of volume for lats. I've often just done pullups throughout my workout, I wouldn't go to failure, but to where I actually felt the muscle being worked. Throughout the whole workout I'd do around 50 reps or so.

I've also had periods to where I did pullups as long as I felt refreshed, so it could be back-2-back days or every other day, but I wouldn't do as many reps each time, maybe some days I'd do 5 sets of 5 reps, maybe with a quick positive and a slow negative.

Coke recommended that I up the weights that I used for BW pullups, and I'd choose a weight that allowed me to get the ROM of motion, but with a solid 4-6 reps. I really enjoyed those also, but the set total was much lower.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Thanks for the info guys. Keith I will definitely try the timed pullups.

I'm getting really close to a 1300lb raw total which has been a long term goal for me. Right now its 475/305/460=1240. The 460 is a guess since my DL pr is 445x2. The cool part is I'm just getting started! I'll probably peak around January.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    nice bench pr!
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295