Page 17 of 100 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Legs!

great work!

you skinny little *****!!
    I am not "the" Bo Jackson, i just stole his name.....
    6'1 230
    Squat 555 - belt only
    Bench 340 - raw(11.3.11)
    DL 540 - belt only
    "Dont confuse activity with progress." - Gene Stallings
    My Log - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...35550-Bo-s-Log

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Hey! I'm almost 200. Give me another month or two and I'll finally become a man!

Once I compete not sure when thats going to be just waiting for a meet to come around at this point I really want to do this routine. Does this not look fun as hell?

Sunday: Upper Power

* 55 or 35 for all lifts(55 on bulk cause recovery is better, 35 on cut)
    * Barbell Bench Press
    * Barbell Rows
    * Military Press
    * Barbell Shrugs

Monday: Lower Power

* 55 or 35 for all lifts(55 on bulk cause recovery is better, 35 on cut)
    * Back Squat
    * Stiff Leg Deadlift, Or Romanian DL
    * 6-8 sets of Standing Calf, little higher reps, i like to do 6-8 on heavy days

Tues: Off

(Cardio Optional)

Wednesday: Hypertrophy Chest/Arms

(For hypertrophy days never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

* DB Incline Bech 38-12
    * Barbell Close Grip Bench 38-12
    * DB Flat Bench 28-12
    * Preacher Curls 38-12 super setted with
    * Standing French Press 38-12
    * Push Downs 38-12 super setted with
    * DB Hammer Curls
    * Cable Crossovers 38-12
    * Machine Curl 38-12 supersetted with
    * Machine Dips 38-12

Thursday: Hypertrophy Shoulders/Back/Traps

(For hypertrophy days never go to failure, always stop about 2 reps before failure)

* DB Shoulder Press 38-12 super setted with
    * DB Front Raise 38-12
    * DB One Arm Row 38-12 super setted with
    * DB Arnold Press 38-12
    * Lat Pull Down (Wide Grip) 28-12 super setted with
    * DB Shrugs 210-15
    * Lat Pull Down (Close grip, palms facing in) 28-12 super setted with
    * DB Upright Row 210-15
    * T-bar row 28-12 (Usually too tired/dead to do this last exercise, but some times i do it)

Friday: Hypertrophy Legs/Calves

* Hack Squat 58-12 super setted with
    * Standing Calf 510-15
    * Leg Extensions 510-15 super setted with
    * Sitting Leg Curls 510-15 super setted with
    * Sitting Calf Raise 48-12

Saturday: Off (cardio if you want)
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

House Lannister
    Is that Norton's P/H split?

Yes.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Yes.
    I don't really like Layne, but that's a cool routine haha. LOTS of volume tho.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    I don't really like Layne, but that's a cool routine haha. LOTS of volume tho.
    Ya it is a lot of volume. No way I would do that on a cut. I could get away with it bulking though.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Why would you switch programs? Why not stick to Westside?

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Why would you switch programs? Why not stick to Westside?
    I'm west side for life! Just something to switch to after I compete to change things up for a little while. I'd eventually go back to west side.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

10-14-10

I've been having crazy insomnia lately. A problem that comes and goes and has been a problem my entire life. I have ZMA, melatonin, Valerian root, tylenol pm all that stuff none of it can put me asleep. I bought a new sleeping aid hopefully it works tonight. I had low energy today I totally wussed out.

RE Lower body
    Parallel box Squat
    45x10
    135x5
    225x5
    315x3
    365x3
    365x3
    365x3
    Switched to a low box

225x10-left lots in the tank. If I did that for an ME movement I could probably get 20
    Video

Donkey calve raises
    x15
    x10
    x15

Band Crunches

Geenx20
    Geen+minix15
    Green+minix10

I love those they hammered my abs really hard.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 10-14-2010 at 07:31 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

I don't mean to dig, but why change programs just to "switch things up for a little while"?

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Not not at all I enjoy the discussion. One simple because I would have a blast on that routine. And even though I'm a powerlifter hypertrophy is very important to me and that would be a solid routine to gain some mass while keeping strength levels up.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Not trying to change your mind, but if you are a powerlifter, and you compete in powerlifting and you'll never step on a stage, I would stick to powerlifting. When I made a trip to Westside barbell, I got to meet a lot of the westsiders there and saw them all compete at the Pro/AM and let me tell you, they ALL carried around a huge amount of muscle mass. Some had high BF%, some had low BF%, but they all were huge with regards to muscle mass. Mind you, almost all use AAS, but Travis Bell being a natty was HUGE when I saw him. He had more muscle than I could ever dream of and that was all from strength training. All your hypertrophy work can come from everything you do minus the first ME movement of the day, all the accessory work is done in high reps to build muscle mass, right? I've talked to many powerlifters before and they all said the same thing, they got the biggest they've ever been while powerlifting. A stronger muscle has a greater potential to be a bigger muscle. We all know a 315 lb bench will put on more mass than a 225 lb bench, so why not get strong? You've been on such a good role lately and you're making such great progress in every way, why change that flow? Just my $0.02.

Not trying to change your mind, but if you are a powerlifter, and you compete in powerlifting and you'll never step on a stage, I would stick to powerlifting. When I made a trip to Westside barbell, I got to meet a lot of the westsiders there and saw them all compete at the Pro/AM and let me tell you, they ALL carried around a huge amount of muscle mass. Some had high BF%, some had low BF%, but they all were huge with regards to muscle mass. Mind you, almost all use AAS, but Travis Bell being a natty was HUGE when I saw him. He had more muscle than I could ever dream of and that was all from strength training. All your hypertrophy work can come from everything you do minus the first ME movement of the day, all the accessory work is done in high reps to build muscle mass, right? I've talked to many powerlifters before and they all said the same thing, they got the biggest they've ever been while powerlifting. A stronger muscle has a greater potential to be a bigger muscle. We all know a 315 lb bench will put on more mass than a 225 lb bench, so why not get strong? You've been on such a good role lately and you're making such great progress in every way, why change that flow? Just my $0.02.
    I appreciate the input. I know powerlifting puts on size. I've made my greatest size gains powerlifting. However, if I had been doing a bber routine the past year I would be bigger but not as strong and not having as much fun I love powerlifting. If westside was the optimal way to gain size then powerlifters would have a lot more mass than bbers. I don't plan on changing anytime soon but switching routines for a couple month's to focus on hypertrophy especially with the 5x5's will not harm my numbers. In fact I plan to progress with progressive overload.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

I appreciate the input. I know powerlifting puts on size. I've made my greatest size gains powerlifting. However, if I had been doing a bber routine the past year I would be bigger but not as strong and not having as much fun I love powerlifting. If westside was the optimal way to gain size then powerlifters would have a lot more mass than bbers. I don't plan on changing anytime soon but switching routines for a couple month's to focus on hypertrophy especially with the 5x5's will not harm my numbers. In fact I plan to progress with progressive overload.
    Valid point. Fair enough.

House Lannister
    I think you'd blow up on a bb routine. You definitely have the strength to make all that hypertrophy work worth something. Why not go back to BGB though? Seems a LOT more realistic/manageable than Layne's split.

I'd also like to see what you could do on something like MAX-OT or even DC.
    Last edited by chevelle2291; 10-15-2010 at 11:18 AM.

House Lannister
    Valid point. Fair enough.
    You had some good points though, Keith. I definitely enjoyed that little discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by chevelle2291 View Post
    or even DC.
    That's what I'd recommend if you're training strictly for hypertrophy.

Good job squatting with little sleep. That takes real motivation. I share your pain man, I get bouts of insomnia it's terrible. Runs in the family.

Also, thats a awesome looking routine I may try that next summer when I have all day to eat and sleep haha.

I think that routine looks solid. It allows you to throw some volume in there, and it still gives you 2 days to focus on yoru power movements. Definitely something that should net you some solid results.

Do you know enough if you will be bulking or cutting while doing that routine?

I also noticed how you balanced your camera on the upside down bottle of Listerine, haha. I've had to prop up my stuff to get the right angle.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

I will be bulking. I don't know if I could handle that routine cutting.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Sucks about the sleep situation man, I've had the same exact problem, very annoying. It just randomly comes and goes for me it seems. Some nights I'll sleep great, others it'll take me 3 - 4 hours to fall asleep.
    Best lifts: 615/475/660, Raw w/ Wraps
    http://www.youtube.com/user/invain622002

There was a guy I knew in the past who told me that valerian root is supposedly an old Indian remedy to aid in getting restful sleep, he combined that with some vodka at night before bed when problems arrived and he swears it works. I never tried it myself though but thought to mention it.

You performed the box squats perfectly - that is good work man!!...I need to add those in.

Thanks coke I love Box Squats they have helped me a lot.

I think I may have developed bigorexia. I keep looking in the mirror and feel small and feel like I'm not growing. Last night one of my friends said "I see you like once a week and everytime I see you, you look a little bigger" That made me feel better. I may just be to critical on myself but I look in the mirror and see a small person.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Strong work on those squats!!
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...72#post2635572

Wannabebig Member
    Definite carryover! Speed squats with bands have helped me out of the hole big time and teach me how to stay explosive through out the entire movement. Heavy box squats have been great assistance and have taught me to stay tight and upright in the hole as well. This is parallel and low box I've never played around with high box yet.
    I'll keep that in mind. I'm definitely interested in mixing things up if I can push my weights higher.