The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 4 of 100 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy Legs!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Giving a shot at making my own pre-workout sup

Each serving contains
    200mg Caffeine
    3.2 G Arginine
    2.2G Beta Alanine
    2.5G Creatine

Keepin it simple. Next batch when I'm not watching my carbs I'll thrown in some Dextrose.

My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I wannabebig!
    i'd probably say you can ditch the arginine

Your conv DL stance looks awful wide... I bet if you brought your legs in inside the smooth and placed your hands on the end of the center knurling you would make a big pr... you also wouldnt have to duct tape your legs

hope this helps w/ your training bro you have made good progress

Banned
    how did the mix turn out?

Wussup, brah?!

First off, your numbers are SICK for your age and weight! You have potential and you better not ****ing put it to waste. Reverse 515 dead was awesome and I DOUBT you're right around 405 like you said you are. Your conventional pull is incredibly wide, dude! Bring those feet way in and bring your hands in just outside your waist to reduce the ROM. You'll probably add at least 10 lbs from that alone. Get a video up of your sumo pull without bands. I want to see where it's at before I waste my time racing you to anything, haha.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    Your conv DL stance looks awful wide... I bet if you brought your legs in inside the smooth and placed your hands on the end of the center knurling you would make a big pr... you also wouldnt have to duct tape your legs

hope this helps w/ your training bro you have made good progress
    Thanks for the tip. The only time I pull conv really now is rack pulls, I'll keep a narrower stance in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    how did the mix turn out?
    Pretty good. Tasted nasty as **** though!!! I need to add some crystal light in the mix

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Wussup, brah?!

First off, your numbers are SICK for your age and weight! You have potential and you better not ****ing put it to waste. Reverse 515 dead was awesome and I DOUBT you're right around 405 like you said you are. Your conventional pull is incredibly wide, dude! Bring those feet way in and bring your hands in just outside your waist to reduce the ROM. You'll probably add at least 10 lbs from that alone. Get a video up of your sumo pull without bands. I want to see where it's at before I waste my time racing you to anything, haha.
    Thanks! My Sumo PR is 425 but I weighed more at the time and have decreased since I've lost weight. Right now I'm probably anywhere from 400-415. 3 weeks ago I pulled 365 for a triple. Tomorrow after I Squat I'll try anywhere from 385-395 for a triple all reps from a dead start and get a vid up.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Wow I just realized I never posted my squat vids from the meet. This a utah state record too. Was pretty easy too I was happy with the speed but dissapointed I undershot myself.

Here is my opener and 3rd attempt
    Video

Video
    Last edited by ThomasG; 06-19-2010 at 10:36 AM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

6/19/10

DE Upper Body

Speed bench

95+double looped orangesx8x3

DB Bench Press-Feet up on bench
    40x12x3

Cobras-Never Done these before
    This cable stack was a littleto wide for them...
    Video

80x15
    80x15
    70x15

DB Flies
    x20
    x20
    x20

Lateral Raise

15x12x3

Seated Rows
    x15x3

Band pull aparts
    minix15x3

Jump Rope
    Double unders
    Video
    Last edited by ThomasG; 06-19-2010 at 05:14 PM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

I am almost afraid to ask, but what purpose do the cobras serve?? - you were no joke with 'em doing the whole stack...beasting in the jump rope vid and at your record breaking meet!!

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa View Post
    I am almost afraid to ask, but what purpose do the cobras serve?? - you were no joke with 'em doing the whole stack...beasting in the jump rope vid and at your record breaking meet!!
    The Cobras are for lats and Bi's. That cable stack was a little wide for them though so they hit my bi's more than my lats which is not what I wanted.

Thanks in that vid I got 39 my goal is fifty and my ultimate goal is 100.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

6-20-10

ME Lower Body

Skwat!!-Reverse Band

45x5
    135x5
    Added Reverse greens
    225x5
    315x3
    395x1
    475x1-Buried it!! Was so tempted to go for 5plates but I decided to go for it next time around.

Video

Took bands and knee wraps off.
    315x0-haha anyone who has done reverse bands then went right to straight weight knows what I'm talking about. I couldn't stop laughing.
    315x7-Sweet!

Deadlift
    135x3
    225x3
    315x3
    375x3-vid below never broke my arch but 3rd rep was a lil nasty
    Video

That's it ran out of time had to go train clients. At least I got the important stuff done.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 06-20-2010 at 09:41 PM.

Banned
    you already know this but your lifts are sick for your bw and excellent in general. great lifting

Thanks!!

Woke up to an injured right hip flexor . Its not too bad I'll be better by next ME lower body day, might have to skip DE lower body this week.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Wow, looking forward to seeing the vids in here. Breaking records and ****. Nice. I will call back later on my home machine.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Pulling looks great, dude. I may have you slightly on the pull, but your squat is 84736284 times stronger than mine! I don't know how the hell you squat that much, haha. What's your raw squat max?

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    Pulling looks great, dude. I may have you slightly on the pull, but your squat is 84736284 times stronger than mine! I don't know how the hell you squat that much, haha. What's your raw squat max?
    You may have me now, but I'm still going to beat you to 450

My best was 430 in competition but as you can see in the vid I undershot myself. My goal is a 475 raw squat early next year which will give me the national AAPF 181 open raw squat record.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 06-23-2010 at 11:57 AM.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

6-23-10
    BW:173.8

ME Upper Body

Floor Press
    45x10
    135x5
    185x5
    205x5
    225x5
    245x3
    255x3-PR? I haven't done a floor press straight weight for an ME Movements in a long time.

If there's one thing I learned from my last westside cycle I don't do well with singles. This time around I'll be working up to a 3-5rm.

Incline barbell bench press
    185x7x2
    185x5-A far cry from my pr of 205x8 I've lost so much strength here since cutting.

Pronated Pullups-All from a dead hang
    bwx8x2
    Minibandx6

DB Rows
    90x6x2

Close Grip pulldowns
    80x15
    100x12x2

BB Curl
    100x5x1
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    i think if you either got a much narrower stance on your conventional or wider stance on your sumo you could pull alot more weight. Especially if you pointed your toes out more on your sumo (and knees), you could get the bar way closer to you and keep your back more vertical and drop the hips, getting alot more of your massive squat power into the motion.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Just watched your squat vids from the meet and your pulls in training... great f'in job man. I like your "secret stuff" too, I bet that saves a ton of dough and lets you manipulate exactly what/how much of each supp you want. Throw some kool-aid in there and send me a tub lol.
    My Training Log

You want science and studies? **** you. I've got scars and blood and vomit. - Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by Liftersize View Post
    i think if you either got a much narrower stance on your conventional or wider stance on your sumo you could pull alot more weight. Especially if you pointed your toes out more on your sumo (and knees), you could get the bar way closer to you and keep your back more vertical and drop the hips, getting alot more of your massive squat power into the motion.
    Ya I'm going to toy around with a wider stance see how it goes. I'm pretty much done pulling 90%+ conventional besides rack pulls, they beat my lower back too bad. I could barely pull heavy twice a month. With sumo I can pull heavy every week.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete22 View Post
    Just watched your squat vids from the meet and your pulls in training... great f'in job man. I like your "secret stuff" too, I bet that saves a ton of dough and lets you manipulate exactly what/how much of each supap you want. Throw some kool-aid in there and send me a tub lol.
    Thanks for stopping in! Yea saves lots of dough, and ya I'm going to throw some crystal light in **** was soooooooooooo nasty! Bad idea to take it plain lol.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Just sharing this for fun

A few month's ago I had a client come to me with some chronic back pain. He was having trouble even picking his kid up out of his crib and would get shooting pains. Now he's repping 205. I know 205 isn't very heavy but considering the circumstances it's damn good! Just though I'd share! Deadlifts solve so many back problems!

Video
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

6-24-10

DE Lower Body
    Hip flexor is not 100% yet so I played it safe with some box jumps and ab work the last thing I want is to be sidelined.

Box Jumps 30"

25x8x3

Band crunches
    greenx20x3

Not a very exciting workout... Hip flexor should be 100% in time for ME lower body.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

6-27-10 ME Lower Body

BW-173lbs -That's it I'm upping my cals.

Hip flexor is still no 100% but of course my stubborn ass went and lifted anyway

Dead Lift!

45x10
    135x5
    185x5
    225x5
    275x2
    315x1
    365x1
    405x3-[B]PR!![/B] Vid Below. Barely locked out the 3rd rep because my right hand started to slip that bar had the worst knurling I've ever came across very smooth bar.

Video

SLDL
    185x12
    205x12-PR-I honestly should and Know I can do a lot more than this I've always been a puss at these.

Leg Curl
    120x12x2

Abdominal Circuit
    V-upx12
    Ab machinex8
    Modified Sit upsx15

No squats today hip wouldn't allow it. More than likely going to have to skip DE lower body day to heal up.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

powerlifter in training Liftersize's Avatar
    nice deadlifts! Big PR! With slight tweaks it looks like you could be good for alot more still. Just be careful with the sore hips thats the main reason i moved away from sumo deadlifts, because my hips could never recover for squats.
    Current Stats: 6'1 185
    Deadlift 480 Bench 280 Squat 365 Raw Total: 1,125
    Front Squat 295
    My New Journal!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...49#post2331749

Deaaaaam! Look at this guy! 405x3 eh? I'm going to have to step my game up BIG time to catch you. Good pulling, bud.