The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Could this work?

I'm wanting to start doing some Westside methods and was wondering if this split might could work

Mon- ME SQ/DE DL
    Tue- ME Bench
    Thu- DE SQ/ME DL
    Fri- DE Bench

thanks guys
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/thr...et-log-4-19-14

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I'm not a big fan of doing ME work on back to back days. A long time ago I did that for a while and it worked OK, but I got better results when I changed so my ME days weren't back to back days I think your split could work fine, it just may not be optimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    I'm not a big fan of doing ME work on back to back days. A long time ago I did that for a while and it worked OK, but I got better results when I changed so my ME days weren't back to back days I think your split could work fine, it just may not be optimal.
    Yea I have read that it's not really good to have them back to back. My work schedule during the week is crazy though and these are the best days for me to get to the gym.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

Yes, it could work, but I think rearranging the days would be a better idea. If you have to train MTThF, then I would do this:

M - Max Effort Bench
    Tu - Max Effort Lower
    Th - Dynamic Bench
    F - Dynamic Effort Lower

I suggest this because you aren't going to feel like benching heavy the day after squatting/pulling heavy. You just won't. It's much easier to bench heavy on day 1 and then do a heavy lower body workout on day 2 in my experience.

I'm also not crazy about the squatting twice a week every week like your template suggests. What my training partners and I have been doing, and I think this is similar to what WSB often does now, is that max effort lower day is usually a deadlift or a good morning with a specialty bar squat mixed in less often. Then you do some type of squat assistance on that day. Then on the dynamic squat day you can work up heavier more often in your gear and do a deadlift assistance exercise afterwards like speed pulls, romanians, etc.

What I'm getting at is that you are essentially saying that you are going to deadlift twice a week every week. I don't think that will work for very long. Personally, I would become psycologically burnt out having to pull that often. Rotating in some GMs or squats (less often) will keep you from burning out.

There was a good post by AJ Roberts, I believe it was on Outlaws, where he says that they squat much less often on max effort day than in the past and save the squatting for the DE day and work up more often. I found this interesting because this is essentially what my group at BAG found to work and also more or less what is done at Diablo Barbell (except they have a squat day and a pull day more or less).

What you are suggesting is that you will squat twice a week and pull twice a week. If it was me, I would not try this. Of course this is only my opinion, I obviously may be wrong.

What you outlined may work great for you. The only way to know is to try it.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

If you are going to do ME back to back, you might want to do bench on the first day and squat on the second. Your shoulders will be fatigued from squatting and negatively affect your bench. Benching first won't have as much of an impact on your squat.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Yes, it could work, but I think rearranging the days would be a better idea. If you have to train MTThF, then I would do this:

M - Max Effort Bench
    Tu - Max Effort Lower
    Th - Dynamic Bench
    F - Dynamic Effort Lower

I suggest this because you aren't going to feel like benching heavy the day after squatting/pulling heavy. You just won't. It's much easier to bench heavy on day 1 and then do a heavy lower body workout on day 2 in my experience.

I'm also not crazy about the squatting twice a week every week like your template suggests. What my training partners and I have been doing, and I think this is similar to what WSB often does now, is that max effort lower day is usually a deadlift or a good morning with a specialty bar squat mixed in less often. Then you do some type of squat assistance on that day. Then on the dynamic squat day you can work up heavier more often in your gear and do a deadlift assistance exercise afterwards like speed pulls, romanians, etc.

What I'm getting at is that you are essentially saying that you are going to deadlift twice a week every week. I don't think that will work for very long. Personally, I would become psycologically burnt out having to pull that often. Rotating in some GMs or squats (less often) will keep you from burning out.

There was a good post by AJ Roberts, I believe it was on Outlaws, where he says that they squat much less often on max effort day than in the past and save the squatting for the DE day and work up more often. I found this interesting because this is essentially what my group at BAG found to work and also more or less what is done at Diablo Barbell (except they have a squat day and a pull day more or less).

What you are suggesting is that you will squat twice a week and pull twice a week. If it was me, I would not try this. Of course this is only my opinion, I obviously may be wrong.

What you outlined may work great for you. The only way to know is to try it.
    OK I see what your saying, would it be better to rotate speed squats in one week and speed Pulls the next on DE day? Like say this

one week do this
    ME day- Squat movement
    DE day- Speed Pull

then the next week
    ME day- Deadlift movement
    DE day- Speed Squat

or maybe just have a squat day and deadlift day?

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    If you are going to do ME back to back, you might want to do bench on the first day and squat on the second. Your shoulders will be fatigued from squatting and negatively affect your bench. Benching first won't have as much of an impact on your squat.
    Yes I was thinking of this also because I'm always tired and don't feel like benching heavy after most of my squat days.
    Last edited by muscle_g; 01-15-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

M-ME Squat/DL
    T-DE Bench
    TR-DE Squat/DL
    F-ME bench

ME S/DL you pick one exercise for the ME, so could be a squat variation one week or deadlift the next, it could depend, lately I alternate soemwhat, whereas previous I did a lot more squatting. If you can work out other days like a saturday you can change this routine up even more. Or you can change the days you do what and still not do ME sessions back to back.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    M-ME Squat/DL
    T-DE Bench
    TR-DE Squat/DL
    F-ME bench

ME S/DL you pick one exercise for the ME, so could be a squat variation one week or deadlift the next, it could depend, lately I alternate soemwhat, whereas previous I did a lot more squatting. If you can work out other days like a saturday you can change this routine up even more. Or you can change the days you do what and still not do ME sessions back to back.
    I like this.
    Jake Sullivan
    6' - 280lbs - 29yrs old - Professional Highland Games Athlete
    curently off-season
    HG training log = road to pro
    youtube channel = www.youtube.com/xtra0t

I used to train on those days. It was:

Mon: DE bench
    Tue: ME lower
    Thr: ME bench
    Fri: DE lower

Doing DE lower after ME bench sucked. It honestly sucked overall trying to cram all that training into 5 days. As I got stronger my recovery wasn't very good.

I think this recommendation is best:
    M-ME Squat/DL
    T-DE Bench
    TR-DE Squat/DL
    F-ME bench

If your work schedule during the week is crazy, wouldn't the weekend be a better time to train?
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I think this recommendation is best:
    M-ME Squat/DL
    T-DE Bench
    TR-DE Squat/DL
    F-ME bench

If your work schedule during the week is crazy, wouldn't the weekend be a better time to train?
    I think I'm gonna go with this.

I would train on the weekends, but the gym closes at 3pm on Saturday and I always work on Saturday until about 2-4pm, so that's out. And I aint going to the gym on Sunday's because I go to church and do stuff with the family.
    Last edited by muscle_g; 01-15-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    M-ME Squat/DL
    T-DE Bench
    TR-DE Squat/DL
    F-ME bench
    Thanks for the help everyone(that's why I love this forum, because there is so many strong and knowledgeable lifters here). I'm gonna go with this template for awhile and see how it goes.
    Last edited by muscle_g; 01-16-2010 at 06:59 AM.
    Train Hardcore

Best Lifts(SQ/BP/DL)
    625/450/500 multi-ply
    520/405/500 single-ply
    405/315/475 raw

Training log