The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: 300-400-500

300-400-500

I hear alot about the possibility of achieving these numbers in the bench,squat and dead with dedicated training and nutrition and without needing super freaky genetics.
    Assuming a starting point of 200lbs on the bench and corresponding strength on squat and dl, when forum members went for this goal, how long in months did it take to achieve and what were the most popular programs(Texas method,WS4SB, others). Also are these numbers usually achieved without having to use specific powerlifting techniques(bands,chains,board presses etc.)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I am on this quest right now. Hopefully I can hit it by 2011.

In the past few years I trained on some crappy, half thrown together routine and avoided the heavy barbell lifts. I saw modest results.

In October I started SS and began eating heavy. I went from 159 to 180s in under 3 months. Now I am sitting around 187lbs. I just started the TM and I like it a lot. I can see myself making some good gains on it.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 01-16-2010 at 11:36 AM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

I started much weaker than where you are starting...it took over three years to get there, it's not all linear. My genetics are pretty average I think. I used a combination of Hardgainer methods and I'm finishing with 5/3/1. I've never used bands, chains, wraps, belts, etc.

I'm still working on getting the deads up there. Some guys will blow right through these numbers in their first year, other will take a lifetime.
    Last edited by Off Road; 01-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I'm a squat away from those numbers. But my squat blows so it could be awhile... But by then I may have a 350 bench and 600 dead
    "Donít fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesnít matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. Iíve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Everyone is different. Pick a proven program and stick to it for a year. Always try to push the weight up, force the issue. Make sure you eat plenty. Set realistic goals for yourself and just keep progressing. Before you know it, you'll be where you wanted to be.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

This is what I'm aiming for, but it will take me a long time.

I don't think I'll ever be able to bench 300, I'm just not built to be a good bench presser.

For me, it took about 2 years and a half to get to +300 bench. For +400/+500 squat and deadlift, it took me about 3 years and a half. If I was more dedicated to my training and diet, and under the guidance of people who know what they are doing, I probably would have gotten there faster.
    Last edited by MPB; 01-16-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Honestly it took me about 13 years. I trained diligently, but poorly for many years and made very little progress. After making very little real progress for 4-5 years, I reached these number after about 8 month of powerlifting training with a dedicated crew. Just goes to show you how poorly planned training and bad training systems can stall your progress.
    I honestly think most people can reach these numbers within a couple of years if they are willing to truly dedicate themselves to it (good training program, not afraid to gain weight, diet in order, etc...).

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post

I don't think I'll ever be able to bench 300, I'm just not built to be a good bench presser.
    Excuses don't lift weights. Most people aren't built to be good at benching. That's why you train.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post

I'm not built to bench either. If you train hard enough, smart enough, and are willing to gain weight you can reach it. After many years, I've concluded I have to carry a fair amount of weight to acheive anything approach respectable strength. With my height and proportions it's just the way it is for me. The sooner you stop making excuses and decide you are willing to do whatever it takes to reach your goals, the faster you will make progress.

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Excuses don't lift weights. Most people aren't built to be good at benching. That's why you train.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean S View Post
    I'm not built to bench either. If you train hard enough, smart enough, and are willing to gain weight you can reach it. After many years, I've concluded I have to carry a fair amount of weight to acheive anything approach respectable strength. With my height and proportions it's just the way it is for me. The sooner you stop making excuses and decide you are willing to do whatever it takes to reach your goals, the faster you will make progress.
    Believe me guys, I'm going to do everything I can to get to 300. I am progressing right now, 300 just seems like so much at where I am now for a max(~185).

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    I got to 280 bench, 375 squat and 380 deadlift (my deads always lag) when I was at 220 lbs. I've cut down to 199lbs right now, have about 6-7 lbs to go to get to my target bf% and I've lost some strength esp on my squats. I hope to get up close to 3-4-5 again this year when I bulk again.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

forget 3/4/5.. how about 4/5/6 raw?

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    forget 3/4/5.. how about 4/5/6 raw?
    Wow! How long did it take you to get those numbers twm?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

300/400/500? 8 1/2 months and 20lbs (from 195/275/315@180).

400/500/600 raw? 5 years less two days (yes, i was counting) at 230lbs. Would have been a lot less (4 years) but that bench was pretty damn stubborn. And to Clover... i'm not a natural bencher either, so much so my (wise) PL guru trainer said when i started i'd be doing well to someday press 315. I had to make myself a natural bencher... and that involved about 30lbs ov upper body muscle. Lots ov bodybuilding... just to be a good powerlifter. If your body composition and leverages suck, then CHANGE THEM.

Turns out i do have good genetics though. Not so much for strength unfortunately, but i can build lean body mass very easily, and when you can build muscle easily, you can get strong easily.

Its too bad i'm not powerlifting anymore, woulda been interesting to see how long 500/600/700 would take me

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Wow! How long did it take you to get those numbers twm?
    I havent yet -- its my goal for the next 1.5ish years

Quote Originally Posted by twm View Post
    I havent yet -- its my goal for the next 1.5ish years
    That's awsome...good luck.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    And to Clover... i'm not a natural bencher either, so much so my (wise) PL guru trainer said when i started i'd be doing well to someday press 315. I had to make myself a natural bencher... and that involved about 30lbs ov upper body muscle. Lots ov bodybuilding... just to be a good powerlifter. If your body composition and leverages suck, then CHANGE THEM.
    This is interesting. I'm in the same category, and its starting to get to the point where I'd like somebody wise to coach my pressing for a bit, just to try and figure out why the hell I suck so bad. I think its pretty feasible for me to hit a 400 squat and 500 dead by the end of 2010 if I gain another 20lbs, but man that ****ing bench... I blame my long arms (I'm 6'4), good for dead-lifting, terrible for bench. Maybe you're right and I should do some bodybuilding to add mass.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    This is interesting. I'm in the same category, and its starting to get to the point where I'd like somebody wise to coach my pressing for a bit, just to try and figure out why the hell I suck so bad. I think its pretty feasible for me to hit a 400 squat and 500 dead by the end of 2010 if I gain another 20lbs, but man that ****ing bench... I blame my long arms (I'm 6'4), good for dead-lifting, terrible for bench. Maybe you're right and I should do some bodybuilding to add mass.
    Don't blame your arms. I'm 6'4 too and we definitely have a harder time than shorter guys but if you work at it you'll get there.

About 2 years ago my max bench was 190. I joined this site and I hit 315 on bench last month.

I'm shooting for the 500/400/300 (and /200 OHP) too, but for me the slowest part has been my squat. I didnt really do any leg work before I joined this site and read about SS. I've only been squatting and DLing for about 22 months or so. I'm coming along slower than a lot of people I read about here.

I hit 405 raw on DL just recently and I'm pretty sure I'll hit 500 within a year. With squatting I think its a mental thing for me. I'm squatting twice a week (one day ME, one day DE). On my ME day I'm only doing sets of 230x5. I hope I'm doing sets of 315x5 by the end of 2010 which should put my 1RM in the high 300s. So realistically I can probably get to 500/400/300/200 by early 2011 if I keep training with the intensity I have been lately.

I'm guessing I'll need to add another 15-20 lbs of muscle to hit my goal. The one problem I have is that I put on weight easily but I can never seem to get my diet right to minimize fat gain. Recently I was 205 lbs at 6'4 around 14% BF. I've been bulking and I'm now 240 at about 22% BF. Anytime I get over 20% BF I want to cut again. It gets annoying b/c I'm not happy with the gut I start getting and my clothes don't fit anymore. What I really want to do is cut down to about 12% BF while maintaining my current LBM and try to watch my diet more closely on my next bulk to keep my BF under maybe 16% max.
    Last edited by SMK41; 01-17-2010 at 10:49 AM.
    Stefan
    Height: 6'4 - Weight: 235 lbs - Age: 31
    DL: 530 x 1
    Squat: 355 x 1
    Bench: 350 x 1

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Heh heh... with some actual, real training from a trainer that knew what the hell he was doing my bench jumped from an absolute limit 195lbs to 230 in 6 weeks, and only stopped because i had to learn what a rotator cuff injury was. Anyways, i still think that bodybuilders make the best benchers, so thats what i did. It took about 10" on my chest and over 4" on my arms to change my leverages, but i also learned the killer bench set-up. THAT is also key for leverage-challenged benchers... the set-up. My ROM was like, 21" normally. When i finally got it figured out with the best grip possible, the pinched shoulder blades, the arch, the planted traps and the "leg drive" (oh i absolutely HATE that description...) i got it down to 13" ROM. That was at 220, i'm much bigger now, so its likely less. This is still an IPF legal set-up with a close grip too (i dont like wide grip). I can get it under 12" wide a max-width grip. You can 'cheat' it a lot more if you compete in multi-ply circles too.

Thus I Refute Thee !!!! Bodyguard's Avatar
    Went from a 115 bench to current in two years. Squats and deads progressed in the same way.

Goal 4/5/6 by early 20's. Raw, of course.
    Last edited by Bodyguard; 01-18-2010 at 01:43 PM.
    Height: 6'1
    Weight: 238

All lifts are raw:

Bench: 325(max)
    Squat: 510(max)
    Dead lift: 500(max)

Everyone is going to be different in how their body's respond to training. I could squat 400, but had never deadlifted. When I started deadlifting, I could barely do 100. 1.5-2 years later, I was pulling 500. Get a good routine and stick with it. Eating will be key in getting there (don't forget to sleep!), as well.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Banned
    My bench by next year,Im 14 i would try to go higher but i dont think i can at my age. I squat 200 though

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parker View Post
    My bench by next year,Im 14 i would try to go higher but i dont think i can at my age. I squat 200 though
    One guy i know was benching double bodyweight at 13 or 14. A guy i train was benching his bodyweight (135lbs) for 10 reps at 13.

Dont set limits for yourself. Especially at your age. Magical things can happen when you start training so young. I wish i had.

LuNa
    Quote Originally Posted by Judas View Post
    One guy i know was benching double bodyweight at 13 or 14. A guy i train was benching his bodyweight (135lbs) for 10 reps at 13.

Dont set limits for yourself. Especially at your age. Magical things can happen when you start training so young. I wish i had.
    I think Tom Mutaffis squatted 300lbs when he was 13, it was his first time as well. Anything can be done, as long as you work for it.

I definitely wish i had found this website 10 years ago.