Page 11 of 52 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Daddy tired of being BIG in the wrong way (aka FAT)

Yessir, glad to see you back on track and getting back to normal. Continue the progress bro, I bet getting those teeth removed took a few ounces off your overall weight too, haha.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

good stuff-- you'll be deadlifting and squatting more than before in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Yessir, glad to see you back on track and getting back to normal. Continue the progress bro, I bet getting those teeth removed took a few ounces off your overall weight too, haha.
    It's good to be back and on track again. Yea, I'm sure those teeth counted for a couple of ounces!

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    good stuff-- you'll be deadlifting and squatting more than before in no time!
    I sure hope so. I especially want to get my deadlift moving again.

Thursday - (6/17/2010)

Squat: 245 2x5 (75% of working sets)
    Press: 150 3x5
    Powercleans: 150 5x3

A nice workout. I've trimmed down my rest time and I'm finishing my workouts a little faster than previously.

The OHP was definitely a fight but no fear of rep failures.

The powercleans were tough with minimal rest between sets but I got everything. This is the first time that I've powercleaned in what seems a month or so.

Other Thoughts:

My weight has creeped up this week. I guess my eating has returned to normal and I need to watch what I eat very closely for the rest of the week.

Saturday - (6/19/2010)

Squat: 320 3x5
    Bench Press: 3x5 235
    GHR: 3x5
    Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure (7,6,5 assisted)

The squat is getting tough again as I approach my previous working set weight (345). I got all sets and reps without any issues.

The bench press is definitely tougher. I got the first two sets without any problems. The last two reps on the final set needed to be grinded out.

I tried GHR's for the first time today. What a joke of an attempt. I don't think I could get a 1/4 of the way down without falling forward. It can only get better from here on out.

The chin-ups was a better showing than last time. I was able to get some extra reps this time.

Other Thoughts:

My weight is doing ok and I think I'll have a good weigh in tomorrow.

good job man.... how much assistance do you have on the chinups? I assume you do them on the gravitron?

good job man.... how much assistance do you have on the chinups? I assume you do them on the gravitron?
    Thanks!

I'm using this method for assisted chin-ups.

http://www.ehow.com/video_2359507_as...exercises.html

I'm going to order some bands tomorrow, since I anticipate doing chin-ups and pull-ups from here on out. Plus, it will probably be awhile until I can get enough strength and my bodyweight low enough to do them unassisted.
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 06-19-2010 at 07:58 PM. Reason: clicked post too quickly

Workouts looking good. I gotta start doing some chin ups like that, since I'm in the same boat as you're in, it'll be a while before I can do an unassisted chin up.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Workouts looking good. I gotta start doing some chin ups like that, since I'm in the same boat as you're in, it'll be a while before I can do an unassisted chin up.
    Thanks! The barbell and placing your feet on the ground method works ok but I'm definitely getting some bands to use. When the time comes, I'd consider it a major accomplishment to be able to do a chin-up and pull-up of my own body weight unassisted.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (6/20/10) - Week 23:

Down 0.8 pounds for the week. I'm eating normally, so it's back to my normal weekly weight losses. I'm cool with it because I really don't want to lose the weight too fast.

Other Thoughts:

Deadlifts are on Tuesday!

I like losing the weight slowly. I've been averaging about .5 lb per week. I've noticed no loss in strength or muscle while dropping 15 lbs. Slow and steady...
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

i was going to say something like what offroad said. You'll definitely keep more strength if you lose weight slowly- good job with the workouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I like losing the weight slowly. I've been averaging about .5 lb per week. I've noticed no loss in strength or muscle while dropping 15 lbs. Slow and steady...
    That's pretty awesome! How much more weight are you planning to lose?

i was going to say something like what offroad said. You'll definitely keep more strength if you lose weight slowly- good job with the workouts.
    Thanks! I'm definitely trying to lose weight but keep/gain strength. Supposedly I can do this according to some experts (I'm pretty sure Lyle McDonald had a write up on it) because I'm an OverFat Beginner.

Tuesday - (6/22/2010)

Deadlift: 325 1x4
    Press: 155 1x4, 1x5, 1x3
    Squat: 245 2x5 (75% of working sets)

I'm not happy with this workout. I'm leaning towards thinking it was a bad lift day and I felt somewhat tired this morning.

I don't know what the deal is but my deadlifting is not very good when comparing it to my squatting. Ironically, WBB has just posted an article on deadlifting. I've read through it quickly and I think I found some insights on my problem. I'll post some more on my thoughts once I read it thoroughly.

Of course, the deadlift sucked the life out of me. I had lots of trouble with the OHP and even the squat was challenging with reduced weight and sets.

Other Thoughts:

Diet is in check along with my weight. I ordered my bands to use for chin-ups and pull-ups.

I enjoyed that article too. I think I'll have to work my glutes
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I enjoyed that article too. I think I'll have to work my glutes
    I know what you mean. After reading the article several times, I think I have very weak hamstrings and my glutes need work too. I think everything else is ok.

I've read the new deadlifting article several times and I think I have very weak hamstrings and weak glutes. Performing GHR's as an accessory exercise should help me correct these issues if I had good form. I'm so weak on GHR's that I think I might add Good Mornings instead. I think it will help develop my glutes and hamstrings better than the crappy way I'm doing GHR's. The ultimate goal is to help me get my deadlifting numbers up.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    I've read the new deadlifting article several times and I think I have very weak hamstrings and weak glutes. Performing GHR's as an accessory exercise should help me correct these issues if I had good form. I'm so weak on GHR's that I think I might add Good Mornings instead. I think it will help develop my glutes and hamstrings better than the crappy way I'm doing GHR's. The ultimate goal is to help me get my deadlifting numbers up.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
    I am a very strong advocate for pullthroughs. They helped me to active my glutes 200% more, and as a result my deadlift has skyrocketed over the past few months. I usually get down in the position i start my deadlifts with, and focus on mind/muscle with glutes when i lockout. For hamstrings you might want to look into 1 legged RDLs. I have heard those are good if you maybe have an imbalance in your hamstrings. I love those too and i think they've made my hamstrings a lot stronger.

Just some thoughts ^^

Thursday - (6/24/2010)

Squat: 245 3x5
    Bench Press: 245 2x5, 1x4
    Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure (5,4,3 assisted)

If you paid close attention you may be thinking WTF on the squats or that I had a typo. It's neither one. I have decided that I have some deficiencies in my hamstrings and glutes and it's hurting my deadlift. I wanted to start squatting below parallel to see if this will help me. I figured I'd test the waters and see how I feel tomorrow to see if the extra depth is hitting the target zones. If so, then I'll stay with the new squats and try to increase my weight numbers somewhat quickly. I know this much, it was much tougher than just going to parallel.

The bench press was tough. I was close to 260 with my working sets before I had my wisdom teeth pulled. Maybe I've gotten weaker, maybe it's something else.

I'm going to throw out the back-extensions/GHR's as an accessory exercise, since I'm beyond terrible at both. I'll probably add Good Mornings or possibly Romanian Deadlifts to help with glute and hamstring development.

Also, I got my new bands and used them for the first time for chin-ups. It's a little awkward to use but I'm sure I'll adapt.

Other Thoughts:

Not much to add, except my diet seems in check overall.

I am a very strong advocate for pullthroughs. They helped me to active my glutes 200% more, and as a result my deadlift has skyrocketed over the past few months. I usually get down in the position i start my deadlifts with, and focus on mind/muscle with glutes when i lockout. For hamstrings you might want to look into 1 legged RDLs. I have heard those are good if you maybe have an imbalance in your hamstrings. I love those too and i think they've made my hamstrings a lot stronger.

Just some thoughts ^^
    Thanks for the input! Those look like they would hit the spot just right! The movement is close to a good morning except it's a pull rather than push. Also, I'm looking into the RDL's as well.

Saturday - (6/26/2010)

Squat: 225 2x5 (90% of NEW working sets)
    Press: 155 1x5 1x2, 135 1x5, 145 1x5
    Powercleans: 155 5x3

I started on going below parallel on the squats. I dropped the weight on Thursday and did a 3x5. On Friday morning I didn't feel anything different. By lunch time I was sore in my glutes, hamstrings, lower back and quads (quads not so bad). It's amazing what few more inches of depth will do. This morning I was still sore and I felt it badly in the light squat session and the powercleans. Still I think the lower squats are going to help a lot in the long run.

The OHP started out good but I just completely ran out of steam at 155 on the second set. I dropped the weight to 135 and got 1x5 without a problem. The third set I increased it to 145 and barely got the 1x5.

I got the powercleans without an issue. I'm concentration on the deadlifting portion with absolute correct form and trying to make the mind-muscle connection.

I've been having some troubles on my lifts. My diet and rest is in check. I'm not for sure if my cut is catching up with me as I progress to the intermediate level or my decreased session time is working against me or a combination of both. I'm going to keep an eye on things over the next few weeks and see where I stand. I want to keep on the Onus Wunsler SS template until the the end of summer.

Other Thoughts:

My diet is in check and I should have a good weigh in tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    Saturday - (6/26/2010)

Squat: 225 2x5 (90% of NEW working sets)
    Press: 155 1x5 1x2, 135 1x5, 145 1x5
    Powercleans: 155 5x3

I started on going below parallel on the squats. I dropped the weight on Thursday and did a 3x5. On Friday morning I didn't feel anything different. By lunch time I was sore in my glutes, hamstrings, lower back and quads (quads not so bad). It's amazing what few more inches of depth will do. This morning I was still sore and I felt it badly in the light squat session and the powercleans. Still I think the lower squats are going to help a lot in the long run.

The OHP started out good but I just completely ran out of steam at 155 on the second set. I dropped the weight to 135 and got 1x5 without a problem. The third set I increased it to 145 and barely got the 1x5.

I got the powercleans without an issue. I'm concentration on the deadlifting portion with absolute correct form and trying to make the mind-muscle connection.

I've been having some troubles on my lifts. My diet and rest is in check. I'm not for sure if my cut is catching up with me as I progress to the intermediate level or my decreased session time is working against me or a combination of both. I'm going to keep an eye on things over the next few weeks and see where I stand. I want to keep on the Onus Wunsler SS template until the the end of summer.

Other Thoughts:

My diet is in check and I should have a good weigh in tomorrow.
    Keep goin deep man! You will never really know where you are if you are not at least parellel. Remember the goal is to be strong right now. If you ever compete then worry about minimum acceptable depth.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that its very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    Keep goin deep man! You will never really know where you are if you are not at least parellel. Remember the goal is to be strong right now. If you ever compete then worry about minimum acceptable depth.
    Thanks! I'm definitely going to keep going to below parallel. I think it will help things a lot.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (6/27/10) - Week 24:

Down 0.6 pounds for the week. No real complaints as long as the weight is going down.

Other Thoughts:

My legs and lower back feel much more recovered today.

Tuesday - (6/29/2010)

Squat: 255 3x5 (below parallel)
    Bench Press: 245 3x5
    Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure (5,4,3 assisted)
    Good Mornings: Bar 3x8

I felt really strong today. I think i have decided to lift in the evening. My morning sessions have been really tough over the past couple of months by getting out of bed and lifting within 10 minutes with just some gatorade in the system. I feel stronger and more lucid lifting in the evening but it means adjusting stuff with the family that I don't have to worry about by lifting in the morning.

I'm planning to go up 10# per squat session until about 300#. Then increase the weight 5#, then 2.5# after some more increases. I want to allow my body to adjust to going below parallel, as it is definitely more intense. I can't wait to get to 300# again. I felt strong at 255# today, so onward I go.

The bench press wasn't too bad. I got the weight and I felt pretty strong on it as well. I think things are looking up on the bench too!

I'm adapting to doing chin-ups with the bands. I got the same reps as last time. One thing is that I feel like I'm going to pull my bicep muscles sometimes. Is this because the biceps aren't warmed up enough with the bench???

I performed Good Mornings today. This was the very first time i have done this lift, so I went slow and easy. I plan to go up in reps from 8-10-12, then increase the weight and repeat. I hope this is a good approach for an accessory exercise.

Other Thoughts:

I haven't been eating as well as I should so far this week. I will buckle down and stick to the diet for the rest of the week or else my weight will be up.