The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 52 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Make sure your knees aren't traveling too far forward on the squat. That will cause you to be on the balls of your feet. Stay back on your heels and wiggle your toes
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Make sure your knees aren't traveling too far forward on the squat. That will cause you to be on the balls of your feet. Stay back on your heels and wiggle your toes
    I was thinking it might of been form breakdown in the third set. Thanks for confirming my suspicion.

I didn't get to lift this morning as I was going on 5.5 hours of sleep. I figured I needed the extra hour of sleep just to make it through the work day. Thursday is a long day for me but I'm going to try and lift this evening when I get home. If not, I'll lift tomorrow morning.

Thursday:

Squat: 225 3x5
    Bench: 185 3x5
    Deadlift: 220 1x5

YES! I crossed goal #1 of lifting 600# in the big 3. I'm currently at 630#.

I got home and started lifting at 8:45 PM. I plan to lift on Saturday as normal.

One thing is for certain, I'm feeling the weight in everything and all sets now. I'm debating on when to move the bench weight increases to 5# per session. I want to hit 200# on my bench next week, so I might do one 10# session next Tuesday and drop to a 5# increase next Saturday to put me at 200#. I think I'm going to decrease the deadlift to 10# starting next week.

Other Thoughts:

My unofficial weigh-ins look promising so far but I had a bad lunch and too much pasta for dinner. I'll be able to assess the situation better in the morning. I'm hitting my protein intake numbers pretty well.
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 02-06-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: corrected the lift day

Saturday:

Squat: 230 3x5
    Press: 100 3x5
    Power Cleans: 120 5x3

I've started noticing that my first set of squats are more of struggle than set 2. I'm assuming that I need to rest more after the warm up sets. I said on Tuesday that I thought I could go for a higher weight increase on the OHP than 5#. Well, I'm glad I kept it at 5# because I almost didn't make the last rep in set 3.

Other Thoughts:

My preliminary weigh-in this morning looks promising for the week. Even though I haven't lost a lot of weight I've already had to tighten my clothing belts a notch.

Progressing well.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Progressing well.
    Thanks Off Road! I'm pleased with how things are going so far.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In (Week 4):

Not quite a pound for the week but I'll take it! I wanted to have some beers last night watching the UFC but I restrained myself. Of course, tonight is the Super Bowl so I might have a couple this evening. I must say that guilt is a powerful motivator.

Tuesday:

Squat: 235 3x5
    Bench: 195 3x5
    Deadlift: 235 1x5

Oh my, I woke up late this morning and was debating on lifting this afternoon. I really don't care to lift in the evening so I quickly decided I had enough time to lift, eat, shower and still get to work on time. I made it through but just barely.

I'm going to try and continue to add 5# to my squats for the rest of the week and evaluate on Saturday whether to keep it at 5# or drop the weight increases. I'm really busting my behind to get that weight up but I still haven't had a failed rep or bad form on the squat yet. I almost didn't make the last rep on my bench this morning. I want that 205 bench on Saturday's lift day and I'm going for it but it might be for not. I'm definitely feeling the deadlift in my hands. If I drop the squat weight I'm definitely dropping the deadlift weight too.

I don't have chains, etc. but I read that Lowe's has 2" washers, so I might have to check into that. Anyone have any input on this (whether they have them, how many I need, etc.)?

Other Thoughts:

I haven't felt this good in a long time. My body weight and fat are dropping, my lifting is getting better and better, my diet has improved 10 fold. I'm pleased with what I've accomplished so far.

Thursday:

Squat: 240 3x5
    Press: 105 3x5
    Power Cleans: 125 5x3

I felt pretty good lifting today. I've come to the conclusion that Tuesday is my poor performance day. I don't know why but I always feel weaker, tired and just seem to have a tough on Tuesday's. Also, I started wearing a belt on my work sets but not my warm up sets.

Other Thoughts:

I found some 1.25# weights online but they are $17 shipped for a pair and that's the cheapest I've found. I hope Lowes has some 2" or I guess they are really 2-1/8" washers. Otherwise I'll break down and buy the plates. Buy once, cry once.

I had a bad eating day on Wednesday. I hit my macros but I consumed too many calories but my weight has creeped up some.

Saturday:

Squat: 245 3x5
    Bench: 205 3x5
    Deadlift: 250 1x5

I'm at 700# for the Big 3. I'm very pleased that I made it to 700# in this amount of time. I think it will take a bit longer to make it to 750#, which is a mid-term goal of mine. I really didn't think my lifts would increase this quickly, so I'm very happy.

I plan to drop my bench weight increases to 5# a session as I'm really busting my rear to get that weight up and keep good form. The squat weight felt very challenging but not a complete struggle. So I'll keep the increases at 5# on the squat for awhile longer. Also, I'm glad that the deadlift is 1x5 and not 3x5 because I'm worn out after the deadlift.

Other Thoughts:

My weigh-in tomorrow should be good even with two fairly bad eating days this week. We had SNOW last night!!!

Pretty cool what happens when you get on a proven program that is appropriate for your level.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Definitely! I never would have thought that I'd be where I'm at so fast.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In (Week 5):

Well I'm under 290 which makes for a pretty good week. I had a couple of bad eating days this past week but I guess at my weight it doesn't break my losses. I'm sure I will have to become more stringent with things as I lose more weight. Since it's Valentine's Day I might have a sugary-sweet treat tonight.

Tuesday:

Squat: 250 3x5
    Press: 110 3x5
    Power Cleans: 130 5x3

Everything keeps going up, just as it should with SS. The squat weight feels heavy but nowhere near impossible. I'm starting to wonder how far I'm going to go on SS. I know my bench will stall out in a matter of weeks, if that long. It'll be great if I can get 250+ on my bench work sets by the time I finish SS. I don't mind as I know it's going to happen more frequently and require more resets with all the lifts beyond squats and deadlifts.

Other Thoughts:

Sports Authority had their loose plates on sale and they had a $25 off $100 coupon. So I went yesterday and bought a pair of 45's, 10's and 2.5's in their grip plate model. I wish I had ponied up the money and bought the grip plate 300# set to begin with. I really like them especially in the larger plates. Oh well, I thought a 300# set would last me a whole year not 6 weeks!

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    I thought a 300# set would last me a whole year not 6 weeks!
    I know what you mean...I'm on the hunt for some used 45s for my collection.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

I know what you mean...I'm on the hunt for some used 45s for my collection.
    I should've looked for some used plates myself. 45# of iron is 45# of iron.

Thursday - (2-18-2010) - Session 17:

Squat: 255 3x5
    Bench: 210 3x5
    Deadlift: 265 1x5

Everything felt great this morning but I'm drained! The squat weight is heavy but I can move the weight in all sets/reps without any serious form breakdown.

Decreasing the bench weight increases to 5# worked out good today. I only seriously struggled in the last rep of the last set today compared to when I jumped 10# getting to 195/205. Also, my right shoulder has been hurting a tad (sharp pinpoint pain) when benching heavier weights. I injured that shoulder in the exact area where it hurts when I played HS football back in the day. I'm wondering if it's from that. I think when I used to lift seriously but dumb years ago that my shoulder hurt a little here and there in the same area but I think it ended up going away after several months of lifting. Also, the sharp pinpoint pain immediately ends when I complete my benching sets.

The deadlift weight is getting to be killer. I want to decrease it to 10# or even 5# but my squat weight will surpass it quickly if I do that. I'm going to try and keep the increases at 15# per session for two more weeks. This will put my deadlift at 310# and squats at 290# if I can keep it up.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been good but not great. On my preliminary weigh in days, my weight is always up but I manage to weigh in ok on Sunday.

Also, I looked for those huge washers at Lowes and Home Depot without success. I also considered making chains but that looks to be more trouble than I want to deal with. So I think I'm going to suck it up and buy those 1.25# plates on ebay. Buy once, cry once!

you are making gains crazy fast!! great work!

Sounds like your timing was perfect on lowering the bench progression.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by feardaram
    you are making gains crazy fast!! great work!
    Yea, I never would've expected to be where I'm at in 6 weeks. I figured I'd be hitting 750# for the Big 3 in about 6 months not 7 weeks. I'm very happy with what I've accomplished so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road
    Sounds like your timing was perfect on lowering the bench progression.
    I really should have decreased it last Saturday but I wanted 205 really bad. It paid off this time but it could've easily backfired on me too. I have to be careful not to get too greedy on my lift increases.

Saturday - (2-20-2010) - Session 18:

Squat: 260 3x5
    Press: 115 3x5
    Power Cleans: 135 5x3

I decided to lift after eating breakfast just to see how it would go. I waited until about 2.5 hours after I had eaten and I felt like I was going to vomit the whole session. I don't plan on repeating that mistake again.

Other than that everything was very good. The OHP was a real struggle today. I don't know why but I struggled in sets 2 and 3. Ultimately, I got the reps with decent form but maybe it's time to decrease the increases to 2.5# per session. I'll try the regular increase next Thursday at 5# and see what happens.

Also, next Tuesday I will cross the 750# goal for the Big 3 lifts. Amazingly, I thought I wouldn't hit this goal until 6-9 months of lifting as a mid-term goal and I'm going to get it in week 7!

Other Thoughts:

My weigh-in tomorrow should be good. So I'm excited for another week of weight loss and strength increase.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (2/21/2010) - Week 6:

Not too shabby but I weighed in at 288.2 yesterday morning. Maybe it was a fluke but it doesn't matter as this is a long haul. I think around 285 I'll need to tighten my belts another notch,

Keep going man. It feels great to keep progressing.
    "The deadlift is more functional in that it’s very hard to imagine a more useful application of strength than picking heavy *h*t up off the ground" Rip

Max 3x5 Goal 3x5 by 12/31/11 *1X5
    Bench (245) (275) 285x1x1 335
    Dead (385)* (445) 435x1x1 505
    Squat (320) (355) 355X1X1 405
    Squat (195) (275) 20 Reppers!
    (950) (1075) 1075 1245 Goals (Not including 20 reps)
    5'10" 288Lbs 02/01/2011 Goal Weight 230 On my way back from a Break!

Quote Originally Posted by skinny99 View Post
    Keep going man. It feels great to keep progressing.
    Thanks!

Yes, it's a great feeling. I keep wondering how far can I go on SS.