The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Tuesday - (2-23-2010) - Session 19:

Squat: 265 3x5
    Bench: 215 3x5
    Deadlift: 280 1x5

The 750# goal on the Big 3 has been crushed!!!

This was listed as a midterm goal, which I thought would take 6-9 months to achieve. I still can't believe it.

The squat weight increases have been very manageable but tough since decreasing my increases to 5# a session. The bench decrease to 5# a session is working good too, since I'm only struggling the last rep or two in set three. The deadlift increases will have to slow down in the near future as I'm really working hard to get the weight up and keep good form. I'd like to get two more sessions of 15# increases before dropping it to 10#. This will give me some working room to keep my deadlift above my squat weight in case I have some bad sessions and don't increase the deadlift weight or drop the deadlift increases to 5# for awhile.

Other Thoughts:

I ordered a pair of 1.25# plates. I don't foresee needing them in the next few weeks but you never know, especially since my OHP is a real fight every session. Also, I'm going to adjust my goals on my first post of this thread. I see now that my lifting goals were conservative and my weight loss goals were aggressive.

It's how you learn, man. Keep working hard and you'll accomplish both at some point. One needs to be priority first, but they both can come with time.
    "Don’t fall for the crap that people are peddling on message boards, in magazines or on TV. Get your **** in order, and get your training in order. Start kicking ass, and take out the crap that doesn’t matter. Start doing and believing in the stuff that works, and do it today and forever. You want science and studies? **** you. I’ve got scars and blood and vomit."
    Jim Wendler, 531 Method

Quote Originally Posted by KoSh View Post
    It's how you learn, man. Keep working hard and you'll accomplish both at some point. One needs to be priority first, but they both can come with time.
    Definitely! I learn a little something about myself and here every day with the knowledgable folks at WBB. I can't believe how ignorant and lost the "trainers" I've used/known and myself were in the past.

Yes, priority #1 is gaining strength and hopefully muscle to start with. The weight loss is priority #2 which is why I'm aiming for very small losses compared to most big folks. It's also another reason I'm currently not on any cardio regiment.

Thursday - (2-25-2010) - Session 20:

Squat: 270 3x5
    Press: 120 3x5
    Power Cleans: 140 5x3

The squat weight felt pretty heavy this morning. I'm going for 5# increases for at least Saturday and all of next week. I'll evaluate everything and see where I stand.

I started out the OHP barely completing my first set with rough form. I was thinking I'm never going to complete all three sets. I immediately looked at the weight and I had 140# on the bar. I had slapped on an extra pair of 10#'s. I guess it was still too early in the morning for basic math. Needless to say, I adjusted the weight and got my reps.

When I first started the program I absolutely hated power cleans. This was the case even up through last week. All of sudden my form has improved dramatically and I'm starting to like them. Although, I still don't like the fact that it takes a good bit of time to warm up and complete the 5x3.

Other Thoughts:

My weight seems to be in line for the week and my diet has been good. Also, my micro plates should hopefully be here by Saturday.
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 02-25-2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Fixed typos and day on log entry

I really like the way you aren't afraid to slow down the progression when things get brutal. I think that is the main downfall of guys that run this routine. When things seem impossible and you think it's time to deload all the weights, don't be afraid to drop to twice a week workouts to try and eek out a little more progress before you deload and start over.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I really like the way you aren't afraid to slow down the progression when things get brutal. I think that is the main downfall of guys that run this routine. When things seem impossible and you think it's time to deload all the weights, don't be afraid to drop to twice a week workouts to try and eek out a little more progress before you deload and start over.
    Thanks Off Road!

I'll definitely keep the 2x week workout in mind when the time comes. I wouldn't have considered that option. It could work out pretty good for some extra recovery when I'm pushing the limits of eeking out increases, even though I'd feel guilty working out 2x week. Regardless, I'm not deloading anything until I'm forced to!

The feeling of still busting out PRs will far outweigh the guilt of not working out often. Results first!
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

My traps are really sore today. Actually, they are the sorest they've ever been in my life. I guess the OHP and Power Cleans did a number on them.

Just read through your journal and your lifts have improved drammatically. The power of positive thinking is incredible, isn't it?
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Goals as of 2/08/11 (current) goal:
    Squat: (505) 535, Deadlift: (475) 500, Bench: (325) 350 Total: 1305 (1385)
    BW: 225 as of 02/01/2011 Goal: 205 by May 1, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Just read through your journal and your lifts have improved drammatically. The power of positive thinking is incredible, isn't it?
    I'm still surprised on how much my lifts have increased in only 7 weeks! I used to lift a decent amount of weight in high school and college but it took a long time to get there. SS and the right mindset are the real deal.

Also, I think overall I'm very positive about lifting but I must admit that every lift session I ask myself is this the day I'm going to have a rep failure on my lifts, especially squats. Regardless, I get under the bar and go for it.

Saturday - (2-27-2010) - Session 21:

Squat: 275 3x5
    Bench: 220 3x5
    Deadlift: 295 1x5

Well, well, well....I had my first rep failure, sort of . I knew when I was warming up with the squats that I was probably in trouble. My legs felt very weak and a little sore while warming up. I worked my way up to my working sets. The first set was very tough, the second set was tougher, the third set was very tough and I had a failure in rep 4. I actually fell forward but I caught myself, rebalanced myself and got the weight up. I performed rep 5 and got it with form but it took longer than normal. I also did a 6th rep, which seemed to take forever to complete, to offset the rep 4 failure because I won't count bad form as a rep.

The bench was tough and in the second set I was struggling to get the reps but I got them. I decided to rest an extra 2-3 minutes longer than normal before starting the third set. Well, I got the third set easier than the first two.

Oh my, that deadlift weight was tough. My hands were hurting pretty bad after finishing. I also started working on the hook grip on my warm up sets. It feels so unnatural to me but maybe I'll get used to it soon.

So here's my plan for further progression. My microplates should be here either today or Monday. I'm dropping the squat increases to 2.5# per session. I can drop the deadlift to 5# per session and keep it on par with the squat over two weeks but I think I'm going to try 10# on the deadlift for the upcoming week and see what happens.

Also, I'm going to miss my lift sessions not this Tuesday and Thursday but the following week as I'll be out of town. When I start back on Saturday should I keep progressing as if I didn't miss a day, repeat the previous two workouts, decrease the weight just a little and work my way back up?

Other thoughts:

I think I'm going to be shocked at my official weigh in tomorrow. Also, I've tightened my belt another notch and got two comments over the past couple of days on whether or not I was losing weight.

Excellent effort and it seems you have a good progression plan laid out for the weeks ahead.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Making headway with the big three movements bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road
    Excellent effort and it seems you have a good progression plan laid out for the weeks ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by CoCoa
    Making headway with the big three movements bro.

Thanks! It's getting tougher and tougher but even more rewarding.

wow man!! i read through most of your journal up until now and the progress you've made is unbelievable!!! keep up the great work- i am sure you'll hit both of your goals in no time!

Sunday Weekly Weigh In - (2/28/2010) - Week 7:

I weighed myself on Saturday and today it was the same. My biggest weekly loss yet but I'm really not aiming for nearly 2# of weight loss for the week. I stuck to my diet pretty strict this week so I shouldn't complain.

Monthly Body Fat % - (February 2010) - End of month 2:

According to the measurements of my calipers and calculations I'm at:

28%

Seriously, I do NOT believe this. I was at 291.4 and 31.5% BF at the end of month 1, which was really only 3 weeks. It's seems hard to believe that one month later and my weight being 4.5# lighter that my BF % would decrease by 3.5%. I'm sure I had some body recomposition going on but not to that extent. I know I've tightened my belt and can see and feel some muscle increases. I took my measurements twice yesterday and once today and the numbers came out the same. So I'm posting the number and we'll see what happens in another month.

Other Ramblings:

Another good month even if my BF% number is wrong. Also, I was completely worn out and drained all day yesterday from my lift session. I'm still tired today but not as bad.

Quote Originally Posted by JRider23 View Post
    wow man!! i read through most of your journal up until now and the progress you've made is unbelievable!!! keep up the great work- i am sure you'll hit both of your goals in no time!
    I missed your post yesterday since I was typing up my weigh-in and body-fat measurements.

I just wanted to say thanks for the kind words. I'm just starting month 3 and although I know I've made good progress I know it gets tougher and tougher. I really hope I can make this a genuine lifestyle change and stick with it for the long haul.

Tuesday - (3-2-2010) - Session 22:

Squat: 277.5 3x5
    Press: 125 3x5
    Power Cleans: 145 3x5

Obviously, my microplates came in. I got the squat weight without any serious problems today, unlike Saturday. So I'll truck along at 2.5# increases for awhile.

The OHP just kills me. I just feel like it's my worst lift. I know it's suppose to be my weakest lift but it's tough.

In case you didn't notice I did 3x5 instead of 5x3 on the power cleans as I was running behind this morning. I got the sets/reps but I will say this, I will not make the mistake of doing 3x5 instead of 5x3 again. They literally crushed my spirit.

Other Thoughts:

I haven't been feeling that great since last Friday. I don't feel that bad but I just feel worn out. I've had some sinus drainage and such, so I assume I'm slightly sick. I think this affected my lifting on Saturday. My eating appears to be off, so I need to get it back into shape for the rest of the week.

Two things...

You might want to throw an extra day's rest in to let you body catch up. It won't hurt anything.

If the press stalls, don't be afraid to drop to two sets. Might be just what you need to spark extra progress.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Quote Originally Posted by SCmmaFAN View Post
    Tuesday - (3-2-2010) - Session 22:

Squat: 277.5 3x5
    Press: 125 3x5
    Power Cleans: 145 3x5

Obviously, my microplates came in. I got the squat weight without any serious problems today, unlike Saturday. So I'll truck along at 2.5# increases for awhile.

The OHP just kills me. I just feel like it's my worst lift. I know it's suppose to be my weakest lift but it's tough.

In case you didn't notice I did 3x5 instead of 5x3 on the power cleans as I was running behind this morning. I got the sets/reps but I will say this, I will not make the mistake of doing 3x5 instead of 5x3 again. They literally crushed my spirit.

Other Thoughts:

I haven't been feeling that great since last Friday. I don't feel that bad but I just feel worn out. I've had some sinus drainage and such, so I assume I'm slightly sick. I think this affected my lifting on Saturday. My eating appears to be off, so I need to get it back into shape for the rest of the week.
    Power cleans can definitely be tough. Don't be so surprised that your body fat has dropped after working so hard...accept the results and be happy!
    Most people pray for a lighter load in life...ever thought of praying for a stronger back?

Quote Originally Posted by off road
    Two things...

You might want to throw an extra day's rest in to let you body catch up. It won't hurt anything.

If the press stalls, don't be afraid to drop to two sets. Might be just what you need to spark extra progress.
    Yes, I thought about taking a day off before. I'm going all out for the rest of the week, since I won't be lifting next Tuesday and Thursday. So I'll have a break but when I come back I'll keep this in mind.

Also, thanks for the tip on the sets for the OHP. I think I'll be using that advice in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b
    Power cleans can definitely be tough. Don't be so surprised that your body fat has dropped after working so hard...accept the results and be happy!
    Power Cleans are my worst lift based on form/technique but I'm really pleased when I finish.

Well, I wasn't surprised that my body fat dropped but that it dropped so much. I've accepted the numbers as they are and marked off another goal met. I'm moving forward to less fat and the next goal of 25% body fat.

I'm not a fan of the OHP either, but I guess looking back, I hated to squat and dead lift, now I want to do it every dang day I'm in the gym. I think my issue was form, and I still haven't gotten my deadlift form where I need it, that's for sure. Keep meeting goals man. Subscribed to your journal so I can keep up with this, good stuff.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    Subscribed to your journal so I can keep up with this, good stuff.
    Learn something new every day. How do you do this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    I'm not a fan of the OHP either, but I guess looking back, I hated to squat and dead lift, now I want to do it every dang day I'm in the gym. I think my issue was form, and I still haven't gotten my deadlift form where I need it, that's for sure. Keep meeting goals man. Subscribed to your journal so I can keep up with this, good stuff.
    Thanks! My problem with the OHP is that it is really easy to have form breakdowns since you are pushing the weight over your head standing up. I used to really hate power cleans too and it was because of my lack of form, not that my form is really great now but it's improved a lot since getting on SS. Also, thanks for subscribing to my journal. I update it fairly frequently between my lift sessions, weigh-ins and Q&A. BTW: I'm subscribed to your journal as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tnathletics2b View Post
    Learn something new every day. How do you do this?
    If you are reading a journal, scroll up to the very first post on the page you are viewing. You should see a gray bar with one the headers called "Thread Tools". There's an option in there to "Subscribe to this Thread". Once you are subscribed there are a few options for receiving updates. BTW: I'm subscribed to your journal as well, since I know nothing about 5/3/1 and interested to see how it works for you.
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 03-04-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Fixed typos

Thursday - (3-4-2010) - Session 23:

Squat: 280 3x5
    Bench: 225 3x5
    Deadlift: 305 1x5

BAM! Another goal met!!! 800#+ on the Big 3!

The squat weight felt tough and challenging but I was no where near failure. The 2.5# increases are working well.

The bench weight is really pounding me. I though I was going to have a rep failure in set 2-rep 5 and set 3-reps 4 and 5 but I got through it with form. I want to drop the weight to 2.5# but I really want that 250# bench. I guess I should enter that as new goal. I think I'm going to increase my rest between sets and see if that helps me keep my increases at 5#. Otherwise, I'll drop the weight increases to 2.5#.

The deadlift is getting tough. The hook grip isn't fun but I'm working on it. I had to add an extra warmup set too since the weight is increasing a good bit.

Other thoughts:

Nothing really new to report. My shoulders and arms feel jelloish right now . Oh, I didn't know I had all of those muscles in my forearms.