The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Big Daddy tired of being BIG in the wrong way (aka FAT)

Intro:

I'm a 34 year old male at 6'3" and weighing in at 295 pounds. Currently, I'm at 33% BF according to my calipers and measurements. I'm tired of being overweight, fat and coming up with excuses on why I can't/won't fix this. So over the course of a month and a half I bought a cage, solid flat bench, a 300 pound olympic weight set, weight tree and read as much as I could here. I used to lift weights in high school and college and needless to say the lifting programs pretty much sucked from what I've learned on this board. Basically, there were too many isolation and benching exercises and not enough core strength exercises.

Goals:

I'm trying not to get ahead of myself too much. I think I know where I want to be but I have a feeling once I get into this that my long term goals will shift. Although, I'm watching my weight I'm more concerned about what I see in the mirror, how my clothes fit and what those dang BF calipers are telling me. Here are my short and mid term goals in no particular order.

Short Term:
    Goal 1: Get down to 30% BF by losing 1-2 pounds a week and lifting hard - GOAL MET: First of March 2010!
    Goal 2: Working out with 600 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 630# as of 2-4-2010!
    Goal 3: Get my weight down to 285 - GOAL MET: I'm at 284.6 as of 4-11-2010!
    Goal 4: Working out with 800 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 810# as of 3-4-2010!
    Goal 5: (Added 3-4-2010) Have a 250# bench for my three working sets on SS - GOAL MET: I made it on 4-18-2010!
    Goal 6: (Added 3-16-2010) Working out with 900 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS. - GOAL MET: I'm at 910# as of 4-8-2010!

Mid Term:
    Goal 1: Continue to get down to 25% BF by losing 1-2 pounds a week and lifting hard
    Goal 2: Working out with 750 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 760# as of 2-23-2010!
    Goal 3: Get my weight down to 275 - Aiming for 6-1-2010 - GOAL MET: 6-12-2010!
    Goal 4: Working out with 850 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS - GOAL MET: I'm at 850# as of 3-16-2010!
    Goal 5: (Added 3-16-2010) Working out with 950 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) on SS.- GOAL MET: Late May 2010!

Long Term:
    Goal 1: Working out with 1000 pounds combined of the three big lifts (Squat, Bench, Deadlift) - GOAL MET: 7-28-2010! - RAW 417.5/310/385 @ 1112.5
    Goal 2: Get my weight down to 250 - Originally aimed for 12-31-2010 but now the target is before Thanksgiving! - GOAL MET: 12-5-2010!
    Goal 3: Get my BF % to 20% or less

How I'm going to accomplish this:

I'm using Starting Strength as my initial routine. Also, I'm cleaning up my diet and trying to make sure I get a lot of protein. My "official" weigh in day is going to be on Sunday as I'm lifting on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. At the end of the month I'll see if I'm hitting my goal weight lifting numbers according to the SS routine. Also, at the end of the month I will measure my BF% and adjust my goals.
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 05-01-2011 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Updated Information

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Good luck man, looks like you have thought this out very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Clover View Post
    Good luck man, looks like you have thought this out very well.
    Thanks Clover! I got a lot of work ahead of me but I think I got a good plan to start with.

My lifting for the first week:

Tuesday:
    Squat: 135 3x5
    Bench: 135 3x5
    Deadlift: 135 1x5

Everything felt good and I noticed that the deadlift weight is too low. I'll try to increase it 15# per session.

Thursday:
    Squat: 145 3x5
    Press: 75 3x5
    Power Cleans: 95 5x3

OMG the squats were killing me that morning. I definitely was not ready for another workout of squats

This was my first time that I have ever performed Power Cleans. Boy did it show, my technique was beyond bad. I need to work on this a lot!!!

Saturday:
    Squat: 155 3x5
    Bench: 145 3x5
    Deadlift: 150 1x5

The squats felt much better today. I guess I recovered much better since Thursday. The deadlift weight is still way too low. I don't want it to slip too far behind of my squat numbers. I'm debating whether to go up 20# a session in my deadlifts. I think my squat pound increase per session will slow down significantly once I hit 200ish, so I may leave the deadlift weight increase as is.

Overall thoughts for the week:
    I stuck with my diet pretty well. I'm hitting about 175g of protein a day. I can't bring myself to have an extra protein shake after dinner. I feel too guilty of adding on extra calories and not wanting to eat before bed.

Tomorrow is my weekly weigh in day. I should be ok since weighing in tomorrow, since my off days looks promising. The only thing that might throw me off is that I had pasta tonight with my dinner. Of course it was more pasta that I should have eaten.
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 01-17-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In:

I couldn't tell what the scale exactly said (293 or 294). It was way too early in the morning for my eyes to focus so I took the difference. Maybe I need a digital scale?

Other Ramblings:

I'm going to give fitday.com a shot for the week. I don't want to be keeping logs/records/journals everywhere but I need to track my diet and see where any problems may be.

You've made an excellent start. You've done your homework.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    You've made an excellent start. You've done your homework.
    Thanks Off Road! I definitely read, read and read some more before beginning. I still don't know that much.

Tuesday:

Squat: 165 3x5
    Press: 80 3x5
    Power Cleans: 100 5x3

I felt the squat weight this morning but got the sets, reps without an issue but I hope I can make it to 200+ before dropping my increases to 5 pounds a session. I think my power clean technique was much better but still not that great but improved. I keep watching videos, reading and working with just the bar. I guess it'll come with time.

Other Ramblings:

I ate pretty good over the weekend. I've been using fitday.com for a few days and it is an eye opener. I'm eating way more fat than I want to. I had a serious calorie deficit yesterday up until supper, since I was on the move a lot. I actually broke down and ordered some french fries with supper since I don't want to have my calories too low. I ended up ordering a digital scale and something called "Lock-Jaw" to keep the weight from moving on certain exercises (especially power cleans).
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 01-23-2010 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Corrected power clean weight

Thursday:
    Squat: 175 3x5
    Bench: 155 3x5
    Deadlift: 165 1x5

The weight felt good today. I think I'm past the DOMS stage overall. I just notice my stength is fatigued but the soreness stuff has pretty much vanished.

Also, I'm one of those crazy people that Rippetoe talks about. I lift first thing in the morning for many reasons. I know this isn't optimal but it makes my life a little less complicated in the evening. So I was working out without anything in my stomach hence why I think my squats were a real struggle. I tried this morning drinking some gatorade before and during my lift session. I don't know if it's a placebo effect but I felt better while lifting.

I'm still aiming to increase the poundage by 10 pounds on the squat until 205 at least. I hope I can further than that but we'll see in the coming weeks.

Also, I'm starting to realize why the deadlift has 1x5 instead of 3x5. I read the reasons why but now I feel those reasons!

Other Ramblings:

My eating was bad yesterday. I had a bad lunch at a mexican restaurant and then my wife fixed chicken alfredo last night. The chicken alfredo would normally fit fine with my macro goals but the mexican food really screwed up my day. I was telling myself this morning to get back on the wagon weakling.

The digital scale I ordered should be here tomorrow and I'm getting a couple of books on stretching. Another but non-lifting goal of mine is to do the splits.

Work really hard on that deadlift. Theoretically, It should be at least equal with your squat. Working hard on the deadlift will help the squat a lot too.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Offroad,

Thanks for the response!

I really agree about the deadlift. I used deadlift about 50 pounds more than my squat back in college. Regardless, I work hard on the deadlift and it's one of my favorite lifts. I'm just feeling weaker by the time I get to the deadlift portion of the workout. The way the program is set up is that my squats are going 10 pounds 3x a week or 60 pounds every two weeks while the deadlift is going up 15 pounds every session or 45 pounds every two weeks. Now I realize the squat weight will slow for me real soon. I think at that point the deadlift should catch up and exceed the squat weight.

Ya, it's got to be tough to put a lot of effort into the deadlift after a brutal squat session. Make sure you rest good between the bench and the deads.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Saturday:

Squat: 185 3x5
    Press: 85 3x5
    Power Cleans: 105 5x3

Everything felt great! It's great to be lifting again. As usual, I felt those squats but the weight keeps going up 10# a session, so I'll keep packing on 10# until I'm really feeling it in the last set. Also, having some carbs in gatorade or juice before my workout is helping. I think my Power Clean technique is getting much better but still needs a lot of work. I think I can up the weight more in the power clean but really want to get my technique down first. Finally, the "lock-jaws" seems to hold the weight in place during my power cleans. We'll see how they hold up over the long term.

Other Thoughts:

Well I had some bad meals this week and I think there's a good chance my weight won't be down for the week. I received my new digital scale and it seems accurate and consistent with my older one. I think my salt intake yesterday was higher than normal so hopefully I'm retaining extra water and my official weigh in tomorrow will be good. Also, Fitday.com has been quite a wake up call. My macros are pretty much all screwed up so I need to really work on my food selection. I've been having peanuts as part of my mid-morning and mid-afternoon meals and the fat (although good fats) and calories are hurting my macro targets. I think once I finish the jar I believe I will switch to another source of food while cutting.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In:

Damn, I'm stoked after the weigh in. I was convinced that if I was lucky that I would come in the same weight as last week. I guess some bad meals didn't kill me this week but I really need to stay on top of this.

Other Ramblings:

My legs feel like jello this morning and are a little sore. I guess the squat weight increases are taking its toll. Luckily, I have a couple of days to recover before Tuesday's workout which may end up becoming Monday evening or Tuesday evening due to a possible schedule conflict.

Tuesday:

Squat: 195 3x5
    Bench: 165 3x5
    Deadlift: 185 1x5

I haven't been sleeping as well as I've wanted to since Saturday. I got about 7 hours last night (normal is 7.5-8) but I felt really tired this morning. I didn't want to sit out with an excuse that I was too tired in week 3. Of course, I didn't want to have a bad lift day either so I got up drank my juice and lifted anyway. I know I sound like a broken record but the squats are getting harder and harder. I completed the first set and thought I was not going to make it through two more sets of 5 reps. The next two sets were equal to the first set in difficulty to my surprise and I made it. If I can make it the rest of the week with 10# increases, I will back off to 5# increases next week.

That bench press is getting tougher too. I know it's going to get tougher but maybe I've increased the weights too much in just a little over two weeks. I went up 20# on my deadlift instead of 15# not because I changed the numbers around but because it was easier to put a 25# plate on each end rather than a 10# and two 5#.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been better and I'm getting better at hitting my macro goals although it still needs some work. I think my traps are starting to grow , which have always been small . Of course, the last time I seriously lifted I was not doing deadlifts, powercleans and eating more appropriately.
    Last edited by SCmmaFAN; 01-26-2010 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Typo corrections

Thursday:

Squat: 205 3x5
    Press: 90 3x5
    Power Cleans: 110 5x3

I felt 10x better this morning than Tuesday. The 10# squat increases I think will end this week. I can get the weight up but I definitely can feel the weight in all three sets. If I make Saturday's lifting weight then I'll be at 215 and if I can squeeze out another week of 10# increases I'd be at 245 which would be awesome but it's getting really, really tough and I don't want to stall out on my squats in week 4. So I think I'll back off to 5# increases next week on the squat. I'm slowly getting my power clean technique in check. I think I'm going to take some videos on Saturday and maybe next Saturday to perform a form check on everything.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been pretty good this week. I still need to work on my macro goals. The preliminary weigh-in yesterday morning is looking promising for the week. I need some lifting shoes too.

Sounds like you have a solid plan for progression. Excellent efforts so far.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

really good increases on the weights! keep it up!

Excellent strategy with the gradual improvements all of which will become quite visible just in time for summer...keep it up.

Off Road, Feardaram, CoCoa,

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really appreciate it.

Saturday:

Squat: 215 3x5
    Bench: 175 3x5
    Deadlift: 205 1x5

Whoa, I almost made one of my initial goals, which is to lift over 600 combined in the Big 3 lifts. I probably would've tacked on another 5# on the deadlift if I was paying closer attention to the numbers. Well, next Thursday I will officially cross the threshold, although Tuesday I'll technically cross it with the extra 5# on the squat.

I'm having a great time moving that squat weight in all three sets </sarcasm>. I'm definitely dropping to 5# increases starting on Tuesday. My legs were definitely pumped up after today's workout.

Again, I went up 20# on my deadlift instead of 15# because it was easier to add the 35# plates. Plus, I was jacked up and ready to deadlift . Also, I think I still got a lot of weight left to get out of the deadlift before slowing down. I'm excited to see how far I can go before needing to drop to <=5# increases on it. I imagine within the month I may need to buy more plates just for the deadlift exercises if I can keep the progression up.

I'm starting to really feel the bench weight too. I think I'm going to try to squeeze two more weeks of 10# increases (3 sessions) on the bench before decreasing it to 5# a session. That would put my bench at 205 before dropping to 5# increases.

Other Thoughts:

Tomorrow is my weekly weigh-in and monthly body fat % measurement day. I'm changing my body fat % calculation method from my first measurement. I don't know if it will be for better or worse. My unofficial weigh-ins have been ok. I think I might be taking in too much salt and causing me to retain extra water. Fitday is showing my caloric intake being where I want it, so it should be good for tomorrow. Also, I'm still having trouble hitting my macro goals due to eating with my family etc. but I'm slowly getting it under control overall.

I also got some Chuck Taylor knockoffs (I actually like them better than real CT's) for lifting and to my surprise I could really tell a difference in squatting and deadlifting. Maybe it's a placebo effect but my footing felt much more secure.

I've started the stretching stuff too. I'll let you know how it goes in the coming weeks as my flexibility has always been a weak point.

Sunday Weekly Weigh In (Week 3):

Well, I was weighing myself constantly on Saturday (big mistake) and was pretty concerned about the weigh in. I guess with a goal of just 1#/week of weight loss may not be the best plan. There's not much wiggle room for any errors in my diet. I'm kind of stuck between trying to aim for more weight loss a week and risk muscle issues.

Monthly Body Fat % (Start of month 2):

According to the measurements of my calipers and calculations I'm at:

31.5%

Other Ramblings:

A good week, good month and a good start. It's always easier to do well early on a program/diet/etc. The real test of discipline is coming.

I also tried to do a chinup yesterday. I tried on my very first lift day and I could hold my weight but couldn't move myself. Yesterday I tried one for the heck of it at the end of my lifting session and I moved myself quite a few inches but was nowhere near completing one. I guess that's progress and that's good because I see them on many intermediate BB/PL programs along with dips.

You have done very well up to this point, no doubt that will continue. As long you make gradual progress, that is all one can ask for man - just don't quit.

Smash that goal next week
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Tuesday:

Squat: 220 3x5
    Press: 95 3x5
    Power Cleans: 115 5x3

I was actually quite sore on Sunday in my traps and inner thigh area. I wasn't expecting that level of soreness it but it was almost gone on Monday. Still I was surprised.

Well, I got the squat weight up but I think I almost did something to my ankle as it started hurting. I noticed in the third set I was almost standing on the ball of my foot on a couple of reps. I don't know why I was doing that but my ankle quickly let me know to correct it. I believe I can increase more than 5# on the OHP but I think I'll keep the increases conservative as I know it will catch up with me soon. Powercleans are going ok but my technique deteriorates in from the third set onward.

Other Thoughts:

My eating has been ok overall. I had a so called refeed/refuel or whatever it's called on Sunday evening. My wife bought my some ice cream last night and I'm working trying to fit it into my macros. It's amazing when you actually look at the nutrition labels on everything that you learn how much carbs/fats/etc. a person can easily consume.