Thread: SS bench

SS bench

I'm on week 3 of SS after Christmas.
    I was doing the porgram before Christmas but then caught a bad flu so I'm working back to my previous weights.
    My problem is the bench.It just doesn't respond like the other lifts.
    I squatted 90kg today no problem and will quickly work back up to 100kg.
    I only benched 58kg with pretty slow reps.
    My nutrition and recovery seem to be good. I get a 2kg increase between most squat workouts.Lucky if I get 1kg on bench. I've read alot on bench technique. I broke my collar bone 2 years ago and I need to keep my scapula back and down(any good cues to make sure I'm doing this) to avoid soreness or pain.I try to do some soft tissue work with a tennis ball on the infraspinatus,suprespinatus and front delt on non lifting days.
    Any help/advice.

That's pretty much the way it was with me as well. When you're just starting out, you're likely to see your numbers skyrocket in no time with both squats and deadlifts -- the other lifts will progress more slowly.

The squat and dead lift use more and larger muscles than the bench press and press. The structure of the shoulder sacrifices stability for range of motion, while the hip is designed more for stability and weight bearin.

It's hard to compare the two directly.

At any rate, work hard and be patient. Try resetting by taking 10-15lbs off the bar and work back up for 2-3 workout. You could also switch up to dumbbell presses for a couple weeks than go back to the bench.

Also do some shoulder dislocations (google it if you don't know) with a band, broom stick or pvc pipe. Start with a very wide grip and gradually narrow it. This will really help your shoulder, arm and chest flexibility.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Just to say, anyone else break their collar bone and has it or should it affect your progress on the bench?

Quote Originally Posted by alert20 View Post
    Just to say, anyone else break their collar bone and has it or should it affect your progress on the bench?
    I've never injured it personally, but I am currently studying Human Anatomy.

Your collar bone (clavicle) attaches to your shoulder and chest. It is critically integral in the movement chain of all pressing motions.

I am guessing, as i am not a physical therapist yet, that an injury to your clavicle can have a dramatic impact on your pressing strength.
    My 10 week cut results

I know what you mean on SS and pressing lifts. I myslef squat 300 and deadlift 340 yet only bench 180 and press 135. Other than taking smaller jumps and being patient I can't offer anything else.

I think the main reason is the way my squat and deadlift skyrocketed due to them being major multi joint movements and it creates an unfair comparison.

Hi there,

I broke my collarbone a few years ago in a cycling accident. I was racing a neighbour down a hill and hit a pothole. Ended up with internal bleeding because I wasn't wearing a helmet and split the bone right in the middle.

Anyway, I've been doing SS for roughly the same amount of time as you. I found that my posture and flexibility are making me struggle a bit with the weights.

You might want to check out this article to improve your range of motion as well as doing some work with dumbbells like Raleighwood suggests :
    http://www.wannabebig.com/training/i...ough-the-pain/

Raleighwood, I've recently stopped doing shoulder dislocates in my warmup because I thought they were aggravating my shoulder.Now in preparation for squatting I do arm circles etc.-maybe I should hit the soft tissue with a tennis ball 5/6 times a day.
    Alyion,I intend to stay on SS until the linear gains stall on the squat which will probably be about 12-14 weeks and going by my weekly gains I think I'll also get near to 300lbs on the squat.I'd be really pleased with a 180lb bench at that stage.What were your session to session increases on the bench?
    Your press seems disproportionate to your bench-way over 2/3 of your bench.
    What program are you on at the moment?I'd be pleased with maintaining the squat at 300lbs and benching maybe once a week heavy on WS4SB which may suit my recovery better and focus on DL and Front squat on MELower day.
    Just wondering what programs people do when they've exhauted linear gains
    on SS or PP and there's a big mismatch between squat and bench strength.
    Most seem to say move to TM programming with the squat. But what if your happy with your squat number-would WS4SB or a program that continues to alternate press and bench(3 day program) be better?

Raleighwood, I've recently stopped doing shoulder dislocates in my warmup because I thought they were aggravating my shoulder.
    Do them at the end of your workout.

Also maybe incorporate some rotator cuff work and see if that helps...

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...uries/265.html
    My 10 week cut results

Raleighwood, I've recently stopped doing shoulder dislocates in my warmup because I thought they were aggravating my shoulder.
    Do them at the end of your workout.

Also maybe incorporate some rotator cuff work and see if that helps...

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...uries/265.html

The bench press is pretty brutal on your shoulder and rotator cuff.
    My 10 week cut results

I tried to stick to 5lb increases at first but had to take smaller jumps on both presses (I honestly tied 1/2kg weights around the bar with string ). My bench stalled for a while while I kept trying to take too big of a jump on bench whilst microloading my standing presses.

I'm still doing SS at the minute, but i've knocked it down to two squat sessions and a light squat day on wed (like a bastardised texas method) but i'll have to move on soon.

Oh and i'm 6'2 211lbs if that matters at all
    Last edited by Alyion; 01-17-2010 at 12:46 PM.

Banned
    If your form is bad try to take all your weight off maybe put 60 on it, and then do lots of reps relly slow though and have someone spot you so if you mess up your form they can correct you and move bar were you should. Good Luck and nice choice choosing SS