Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Size Plan - Thoughts?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    There's no correct ONE way - it's what works for you. Compound movements will give you the most bang for your eating dollar. There's nothing wrong with isolations, it's just that many have their workouts nothing but isolation moves (except benching).
    I hear what your saying but I do think alot of things are contradictive.

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    If you stick with the basic compound moves, throw in some iso work here and there and eat alot, you'll do well.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this basic compound movers with some iso work.

WORKOUT D
    A1) Dumbbell Bench Press
    A2) Seated Row
    B1) Dumbbell Hammer Curl
    B2) Single Arm Extension

Note that I'm not trying to prove a point here - remember that If I move on and don't ask questions, I don't learn anything.
    Last edited by RossGers; 01-18-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RossGers View Post
    Affirmative.

However, it's even more confusing I think now to alot of people with everyone having different views and theories, saying different things. Some people say compound only, others say you need little isolation, some say focus on weight being moved and others say time under tension, some say 5 to 8 rep ranges and others suggest higher. Some say straight sets are balls and others say they are basic. Just like some say drink milk, and others say don't.

Who exactly has set the basics on stone and what exactly are they?
    Who has set the basics in stone? The human body. Its physiology hasn't changed in approx 100,000years and so too the stimulii required for its growth.

There's a minimum tension required, I discuss this above and there's also the element of fatigue, which I discuss also.

You've changed the goalposts now

Time Under Tension's a misnomer, the rep and set schemes that'll make you grow, naturally take time to perform, the Time Under Tension.
    In other words, Time Under Tension is a side effect of an effective set and rep scheme (laid out above), not a goal.

Compounds or isolations, who cares? spend your time getting stronger on every iso you can use to train your whole body, or susbtitute most of them for compounds and keep a few iso's in.
    As long as you get stronger, you'll grow.

Free-weights vs machines, who cares? They can both be used to apply tension in the right rep ranges for growth.

As for tension and weight being moved, one is an internal reaction to an external force but are ultimately equivalent.

As for lower or higher rep ranges again see my explanation.

All this will be explained in an upcoming article.

Of course everything seems contradictive. There are so many different ideas floating around out there it's easy to get confused. That's why I like the basic abreviated aproach to strength training and muscle building. It takes all the guess work out of it. Just focus on getting stronger on the BIG lifts, increasing your work capacity over time, maintaining the proper eating habits and you WILL make progress. Once you've built a foundation, then start experimenting with some other techniques. It'll work if you're a genetically gifted person or a Hardgainer.
    Last edited by Off Road; 01-18-2010 at 02:55 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    Of course everything seems contradictive. There are so many different ideas floating around out there it's easy to get confused. That's why I like the basic abreviated aproach to strength training and muscle building. It takes all the guess work out of it. Just focus on getting stronger on the BIG lifts, increasing your work capacity over time, maintaining the proper eating habits and you WILL make progress. Once you've built a foundation, then start experimenting with some other techniques. It'll work if you're a genetically gifted person or a Hardgainer.
    I agree with Off Road in that many people overthink their training.

Focus on building strength, increasing work capacity, and eating as much protein as possible. There are countless programs that will provide gains; the key is finding a program that you enjoy and that is consistently challenging.

Simplify your training:
    • If you want to gain weight: Eat More.
    • If you want to get stronger: Lift with high intensity and allow for enough rest/recovery.
    • If you want to reduce bodyfat: Learn as much as you can about proper diet and include some LISS or HITT cardio.
    • If you want to build more muscle: Focus on technique and rep quality, increase volume.
    • If you want to take supplements: Stick with the basics; protein, creatine, fish oil, caffeine.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Simplify your training:
    • If you want to gain weight: Eat More.
    • If you want to get stronger: Lift with high intensity and allow for enough rest/recovery.
    • If you want to reduce bodyfat: Learn as much as you can about proper diet and include some LISS or HITT cardio.
    • If you want to build more muscle: Focus on technique and rep quality, increase volume.
    • If you want to take supplements: Stick with the basics; protein, creatine, fish oil, caffeine.

We can now close down the forum and leave this up on the main page

Kidding of course, but it's a great list and really shows how simple it can be.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!